Thread: Sheep hunt 2011 booked

Default Sheep hunt 2011 booked

I just booked my Brooks Range sheep trip for next season. Now the waiting begins, and the training, gear and gun prep, etc, etc, etc. But mainly the WAITING.

I didn't have a partner lined up, and didn't want to wait any longer to book, so the current plan is to go solo. The plan right now is to fly along with another solo hunter (going to a different drainage) to reduce costs.

The solo aspect does make me a bit nervous due to safety, but at this point, I'd be pretty picky about selecting a partner anyway. This may be my last sheep hunt for quite some time and don't want any "competition." If anyone wants to head up that way for a caribou or just some sight seeing, drop me a line (details will be provided via PM). Otherwise, I will go solo and do my thing. Either way, I'll be SHEEP HUNTING!!!!

Thats a great feeling when you book the transport and your trip is set. Let the planning begin!!! Good luck

Angry hunt

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    I just booked my Brooks Range sheep trip for next season. Now the waiting begins, and the training, gear and gun prep, etc, etc, etc. But mainly the WAITING.

I didn't have a partner lined up, and didn't want to wait any longer to book, so the current plan is to go solo. The plan right now is to fly along with another solo hunter (going to a different drainage) to reduce costs.

The solo aspect does make me a bit nervous due to safety, but at this point, I'd be pretty picky about selecting a partner anyway. This may be my last sheep hunt for quite some time and don't want any "competition." If anyone wants to head up that way for a caribou or just some sight seeing, drop me a line (details will be provided via PM). Otherwise, I will go solo and do my thing. Either way, I'll be SHEEP HUNTING!!!!

wish i would be around , I would partner up with you and split the the cost

Solo ram hunting can be a great option, if.....

If you are hungry, super dedicated, to the effort.
    If you are experienced as a solo hunter. If not, then start preparing with solo hunts for black bear in early May, and all summer long. It will take some time to build up the mental strength to hunt hard for a week at a time. Some guys never get there, never enjoy solo efforts. Similar to a muscle, your brain needs to become conditioned to accomplish the task.
    When solo, you are the sum of one. Success or failure (whatever success or failure means), is entirely up to you. A solo hunter will not have the confidence often inspired by a hunting buddy.
    And solo hunt efforts only work if you are comfortable with yourself. Life problems involving finances, relationships, broken pickups, new puppies, or insecurities will lead to a shortened hunt or extra days back at the landing strip. Often, when somebody tells me they spent a week at the landing strip because of a sore foot, I know they probably had not mentally prepared for the solo effort.
    Solo hunts can be extremely rewarding. You can be selfish, always giving yourself the first shot opportunity. You can be lazy, sleeping late into the morning. You can be very patient and responsible, knowing that only you are acccountable for your actions. And if you get caught up in the rocks by yourself at sundown, it can be a long night (hopefully with a freshly harvested ram) doing jumping jacks to stay warm until it gets light enough to see.

My first six (?) rams, four mountain goats, a couple of black bears and a moose were all harvested on solo adventures. And your early planning, starting off with arranging your aircraft support, is perfect! You are going to have a great summer of sheep hunting preparation and planning!!

In the past, the entire solo deal has been discussed here on the forum. You might check the archives.

ATA, I sure wish I could do a black bear hunt in the spring! Unfortunately I won't have leave or money to do that and sheep. This won't be my first solo sheep hunt, but by far my longest. My first one was only 3 days. I saw a ton of sheep on that hunt, but no legal rams. Hoping to change that this coming year. Should be a great time either way.

I take it you didn't put in for any draw permits....... why aren't you taking your sheep hunting partner? .....He's one hell of a sheep hunter...

Kaha, I did put in for draw hunts but I figure I better have plan B in place so I'm not scrambling to put something together at the last minute if (when) I find out I didn't draw. Then on the off chance I do draw I'm in the happy predicament of picking between the two. I'm not lucky enough to gamble on drawing.

As for not going with Shphtr, all I'm going to say is...I'm not worthy

Hoosier.....I tried to send you a PM but it says your inbox is full and you need to clear out some room..........

Well, all you have to do is mention sheep hunting in December and possible partners come out of the woodwork. Thanks for the interest everyone, but I found someone to go with. To everyone else, good luck and Merry Christmas!!!!

Sooooo Who is it?........ Is she a pretty good sheep hunter?

I found the best way to weed through the Hunting Partners for the Brooks is to take them to Barneys; after that tell them the cost of the Transporter and then explain how they need to put that down into 50 Lbs. for 10 days of bliss. LOL That sure took care of any person that I had hoped would go with me.

[QUOTE=c04hoosier;857596]I just booked my Brooks Range sheep trip for next season. Now the waiting begins, and the training, gear and gun prep, etc, etc, etc. But mainly the WAITING.

The solo aspect does make me a bit nervous due to safety, but at this point, I'd be pretty picky about selecting a partner anyway. This may be my last sheep hunt for quite some time and don't want any "competition." If anyone wants to head up that way for a caribou or just some sight seeing, drop me a line (details will be provided via PM). Otherwise, I will go solo and do my thing. Either way, I'll be SHEEP HUNTING!!!![/QUOTE

If they are considered "competition" then they are probably more like an "expense splitter" than a "partner".
    Best of luck with your coming hunt.
    Joe