Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Elephant rifles with reduced loads too much gun for Brown bears?

Default Are Elephant rifles with reduced loads too much gun for Brown bears?

When I was a young man I used to have this vivid nightmare, it was always the same. In it I was moving across the tundra towards two Large browns and I was carrying my Smith 29 with a 6" barrel in my Bill Jordan rig. It was my first 44 Mag and I just loved that gun. I was moving through a deep wash to get closer to the bears. When up ahead at a intersecting wash, I heard a sound and I didn't know what It was. The wash was undercut with grass overflowing the top edge almost to the bottom of the wash. I laid back into the undercut with the grass covering me and pulled my smith out slowly. Looking through the grass, I saw something moving towards me. It was big, really big. It filled the wash. I finally realized it was another brown bear coming right at me. It was only 25yds away and all I could do was cock the gun. I really thought the bear would pass me! When he got close, I mean really close, he stopped. He was three feet away. I was completely covered by the grass when he turned his head directly at me and opened his huge mouth. The smell of death overwhelmed me. The last thing I remember was the blast of the 44. It was pointed into his mouth toward his brain. Then I would wake up soaked. Over the years the nightmare would repeat itself over and over again with always the same ending.

The nightmares have stopped many years ago, but the dream to hunt brown bears is still as strong as ever. I no longer own that wonderful 44, but I have enough Elephant Rifles to take it's place on the frozen tundra when I face that Brown bear for real. So here I am today and when I go to Alaska with my Elephant Rifle it will shoot a 300 to 400 TSX Barnes bullet at 2,000fps, would that be too much gun? What do you think? Take your pick,
    9.3X74R-375H&H-375Ruger-375RUM-378Wby-450/400Jef-416Ruger-416Rig-458WM-
    458Lott-470NE

Thanks in advance,
    Ed nyatiinc.com

Can't have too much gun. Traditional go-to cartridge is the 375 H&H but that 470 Nitro will do the job too! Have fun!

Wow, quite the stable of high horse power rounds there. Too much gun, never really think of things like that. Most important is how comfortable you are with the weapon you choose, shot placement and bullet performance. Pick your pet rifle and have at it, you certainly will not be under gunnned by any of those choices.

I'm far from an expert on guns, or bears, but I would say take the one that you can carry across the tundra and shoot the best. All will do the job, and if it keeps you and/or your guide from heading into the Alders after a wounded bear, none are too big. Hope that helps, don't give up on the dream!

If you wound a bear and it decides to get even, then there's no such thing as being undergunned! Think of your dream.

I second .338WM, what are you most comfortable with and shoot the best. Take that one. I usually use, as a lot of others, a .375H&H with 300 grain bullets.

Thanks 257wby
    Ed

I love the big boomers. My baby is my win 70 375H&H Thanks .338WM

The Dream is strong. It was on the back burners but has come to light
    Thanks Bucksandnoles
    Ed

Used a .500 H&H double for years on Kodiak. It worked REAAALLLLYYY well!
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Nyatiinc View Post
    When I was a young man I used to have this vivid nightmare, it was always the same. In it I was moving across the tundra towards two Large browns and I was carrying my Smith 29 with a 6" barrel in my Bill Jordan rig. It was my first 44 Mag and I just loved that gun. I was moving through a deep wash to get closer to the bears. When up ahead at a intersecting wash, I heard a sound and I didn't know what It was. The wash was undercut with grass overflowing the top edge almost to the bottom of the wash. I laid back into the undercut with the grass covering me and pulled my smith out slowly. Looking through the grass, I saw something moving towards me. It was big, really big. It filled the wash. I finally realized it was another brown bear coming right at me. It was only 25yds away and all I could do was cock the gun. I really thought the bear would pass me! When he got close, I mean really close, he stopped. He was three feet away. I was completely covered by the grass when he turned his head directly at me and opened his huge mouth. The smell of death overwhelmed me. The last thing I remember was the blast of the 44. It was pointed into his mouth toward his brain. Then I would wake up soaked. Over the years the nightmare would repeat itself over and over again with always the same ending.

The nightmares have stopped many years ago, but the dream to hunt brown bears is still as strong as ever. I no longer own that wonderful 44, but I have enough Elephant Rifles to take it's place on the frozen tundra when I face that Brown bear for real. So here I am today and when I go to Alaska with my Elephant Rifle it will shoot a 300 to 400 TSX Barnes bullet at 2,000fps, would that be too much gun? What do you think? Take your pick,
    9.3X74R-375H&H-375Ruger-375RUM-378Wby-450/400Jef-416Ruger-416Rig-458WM-
    458Lott-470NE

Thanks in advance,
    Ed nyatiinc.com

It sounds like a 375H&H kind of hunt
    Thanks Bill S.
    Ed

I don't own a double yet but I will and one of them will be a 500NE.
    Till then my 375H&H will do the job.
    Thanks wantj
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Used a .500 H&H double for years on Kodiak. It worked REAAALLLLYYY well!
    Joe
    Joe,

What is the 500 based on, a 378 Weatherby case? I've heard you mention it quite a few times, and I'm not familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    Joe,

What is the 500 based on, a 378 Weatherby case? I've heard you mention it quite a few times, and I'm not familiar.
    No, it was the standard .500 rimmed case in H&H double.
    Joe

Wantj43 when you said H&H I didn't think you where talking about a Holland&Holland. That I would like to see.Do you have any photos
    of her.
    Ed

No, it was the standard .500 rimmed case in H&H double.
    Joe
    So a 500NE in a H&H rifle?

I agree, post some pictures if you have any... big ol dead bears and a double rifle would be pretty sweet to see.

This year I used my converted Win M70 in.458 Lott for Brown/Grizz with 500 gr DGX's. Loved using it but after one shot the results were the same as me shooting them with my 416 Rigby, Ruger, 375 H&H and Ruger....Dead. Dont own any doubles either "yet". but have my eye on that Merkel 140-2.2 in a 500 NE. Sure dont need it but have a special spot for when I sell my kidney and buy one..
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." T. R.

Big doubles simply rock. Nothing is as quick for that second shot and they bring the romance back into hunting as you carry them across the tundra with thoughts of Bell, Taylor, Selby and other well known African hunters. If we ever get drawn for Kodiak my 450 NE is making the trip.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Nyatiinc View Post
    Wantj43 when you said H&H I didn't think you where talking about a Holland&Holland. That I would like to see.Do you have any photos
    of her.
    Ed
    Here is one. Super great gun. Allowed for the taking of bears in some pretty "tight" situations.
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is one. Super great gun. Allowed for the taking of bears in some pretty "tight" situations.
    Joe
    How long are those bbl" anyway, I expected them to be much shorter....
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    How long are those bbl" anyway, I expected them to be much shorter....
    Randy
    Twenty-six inches. And handled very well.
    Joe

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast