Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montague kings

Default Montague kings

Thanks for the response on my last thread on the shrimping in the area. I will be focused on halibut and kings but won't have much excess gas for trolling. I was planning on throwing out a mooching line for kings while I was drifting for halibut. Any advice on fishing for kings?
    Merry Christmas

yeah look for the birds, thats where the bait is :wink

There was a good article on Montague kings in Fish Alaska sometime in the last year. You can probably figure out which issue it was in on their website and order the back issue.

Here is a link to the magazine Brian was referring to: Montague Kings

Most of the kings I have caught out there have been on the other opposite end of Montague than you will be.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It can be a big pain in the butt to have somebody mooching in the boat while a few halibut rods are down. Tangle city, especially if you hook a king that wants to run circles around the boat. Braid can cut mono rather quickly too, that has resulted in some nice kings getting away. You can do it, I've just learned it can be a bit frustrating. Also, not sure what the regs are at Montague, but in SE we can't have more than 1 line down per person.

I often like to use my high quality graphite mooching rods/reels for my halibut fishing. I'll send a mooching rig to the bottom in 250-320ft of water. Sometimes I'll pick up kings/cohos on the way down. Sometimes I pick the salmon up on the bottom with the halibut. If you are at the bottom in 300ft of water and you go slack, start reeling till you catch up with the king. They'll often grab the herring and head quickly towards the surface. With a good rod/reel/line, you'll have no problem getting those halibut to the surface too. Like I said, you need a good quality graphite rod to feel what's going on down at 300ft when fishing with mono. Some of my favorite days is mooching over and around rockpiles in deep water. We'll get Hali, kings, lings, yelloweye, and rockfish all on light gear. It's a lot of fun. Not many people fish them, but some nice sized kings in SE will position themselves over offshore deep rockpiles, as the current washes bait/cod into the rocks. Another thing I've learned is that in community halibut holes, mooching a cut plug herring will get bites when traditional jigs and spreader bars go untouched.

Hey 270,

I have been chomping at the bit to figure out the west side mooching technique. Only one fella over on our side does it and he is wildly successful most of the time but he is pretty tight lipped on his technique (Oregon Lodge Owner here, nice guy). Anyway I have one of those procure cut plug machines I bought but that is as far as I got. Any ideas would be helpful.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Wink Good king fisherman troll w/ downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Hey 270,

I have been chomping at the bit to figure out the west side mooching technique. Only one fella over on our side does it and he is wildly successful most of the time but he is pretty tight lipped on his technique (Oregon Lodge Owner here, nice guy). Anyway I have one of those procure cut plug machines I bought but that is as far as I got. Any ideas would be helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    It can be a big pain in the butt to have somebody mooching in the boat while a few halibut rods are down. Tangle city, especially if you hook a king that wants to run circles around the boat. Braid can cut mono rather quickly too, that has resulted in some nice kings getting away. You can do it, I've just learned it can be a bit frustrating. Also, not sure what the regs are at Montague, but in SE we can't have more than 1 line down per person.

I often like to use my high quality graphite mooching rods/reels for my halibut fishing. I'll send a mooching rig to the bottom in 250-320ft of water. Sometimes I'll pick up kings/cohos on the way down. Sometimes I pick the salmon up on the bottom with the halibut. If you are at the bottom in 300ft of water and you go slack, start reeling till you catch up with the king. They'll often grab the herring and head quickly towards the surface. With a good rod/reel/line, you'll have no problem getting those halibut to the surface too. Like I said, you need a good quality graphite rod to feel what's going on down at 300ft when fishing with mono. Some of my favorite days is mooching over and around rockpiles in deep water. We'll get Hali, kings, lings, yelloweye, and rockfish all on light gear. It's a lot of fun. Not many people fish them, but some nice sized kings in SE will position themselves over offshore deep rockpiles, as the current washes bait/cod into the rocks. Another thing I've learned is that in community halibut holes, mooching a cut plug herring will get bites when traditional jigs and spreader bars go untouched.
    The old me would have pointed out, that according to the mut, "only guys that don't know what they're doing, mooch", but I'm trying to be a good forum member for the holidays, so I won't stir ****.
    Hey 270ti, what kind of rod and reel set up should I go with for the combo rig, hali, kings, lings, and rockfish? That is right up my alley instead of wielding a big honkin halibut pole that wears a guy out just reeling his weight in. What brand and size of both rod and reel please as well as type of line. Thanks bud

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Hey 270,

In May we'll hook up on a nice day and I'll take you out to Noyes Island to work over some kings with mooching gear. I've got some deepwater spots I backbounce for kings that are extremely productive as well the as the traditional spots.

It's funny how the East Side is mostly downriggers, and the west coast is all moochers.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    The old me would have pointed out, that according to the mut, "only guys that don't know what they're doing, mooch", but I'm trying to be a good forum member for the holidays, so I won't stir ****.
    Hey 270ti, what kind of rod and reel set up should I go with for the combo rig, hali, kings, lings, and rockfish? That is right up my alley instead of wielding a big honkin halibut pole that wears a guy out just reeling his weight in. What brand and size of both rod and reel please as well as type of line. Thanks bud
    My personal favorite is a Lamiglass Mooching Special Rod. Shimano Tekota 600LC. 30lb Maxima for mainline and leader. 4oz mooching weight. When I guided I ran mostly 9' G Loomis Rods with Tekota 600LC reels. We brought up a bunch of 100+lb halibut on those Loomis rods. Light enough for Cohos, but had enough backbone for a 200lb halibut.

Sounds good I will be in touch in the spring. I know it is weird, it is downrigger crazy on this side though they are effective.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

If you can find a copy, read "Salmon on my Mind" my Francess Caldwell. It has a few chapters about the first Kelpers (Moochers) that showed up from Neets Bay and kicked the pants off of the hand trollers.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Hmmm. Don't ever recall saying that. I have found mooching to be very effective at times. BTW, making disparaging remarks about people is not allowed on this forum apparently as I found out when I called some idiot an idiot. You should watch what you're saying about people. Especially when the person didn't actually say what it is you said he said.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I LOVE mooching. But, how do you keep the rock fish off fishing on the bottom? They are fun to catch, but when you are hoping for a king or halibut, they tend to get in the way. And then you hit a yellow eye or two and feel like you need to move.

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    I LOVE mooching. But, how do you keep the rock fish off fishing on the bottom? They are fun to catch, but when you are hoping for a king or halibut, they tend to get in the way. And then you hit a yellow eye or two and feel like you need to move.
    Good question.

I'll clarify a little better what do. I do some long drifts when deep water mooching. Usually 1-3 miles per drift, so I cover a bunch of sandy bottom and some scattered rockpiles. Bow naturally points into the current, and I'm backing down with the kicker to keep up with the mooching weight being carried along with current. Keep an angle on your line to keep from getting tangled. (you need a lot of line on your reel to stay near the bottom) You can really cover some water in a hurry in a good tide. Keep an eye on your sounder as you'll drift over balls off bait down deep. If you see a ball of bait coming off the bottom, hit mark on your gps, so you can do that drift again. Whales/Birds are your friends. I keep my eyes glued to the sounder. Any bait, or any "mark" other than a cloud of rockers, get to that depth. It really pays off to be paying attention. Sometimes a king will show up as a little green square on the sounder down deep. Hali/ling will be hanging around the bait too.

Avoiding the rockfish is rather easy once you learn your drifts. Some rockpiles are choked with rockfish, others are relatively open. Miles and miles of ocean floor are just unfishable due to rockfish. That's just reality. I rarely catch rockfish in the areas between rockpiles though in my area. Keep an eye on your sounder and when the clouds of rockfish show up, reel up 50ish feet above the cloud until drift out of them. I'll catch kings above those clouds of rockfish too. It just comes down to knowing your area what what you can do in certain areas.

Default Good Advice

270ti - We use the same system up here on the north end of SE for "feeder" Kings. Our rods and reels are different on my boat, but the methods and means are the same as your description. I would think that it would be successful for Snowbird on the Montague shoreline. It will take some practice to tell when a King has taken the bait when you are first starting out. Even if a person misses a few before they connect they will have a lot of fun and the lack of engine noise is always a big plus.

The nice thing about mooching is that you can get 3-5 kings on at once, when you drift over a school. And, when one guy hooks up, the rest can keep fishing, resulting in a lot of doubles and triples. A few years ago I was out off of Veta Bay with 5 clients in about 240ft of water. Noticed some red dots down at the bottom on the sounder. Told my clients to get to the bottom... Everybody hooked up on king. Chaos! That's some fun fishing.

270i---That method is my preferred halibut technique with a chunk of bait where I fish out of Seward. So, if I do the same thing with a cut plug, I might have a chance at a king, if they are there. You may have more kings where you fish. Where do you fish out of?

West side of Prince of Wales. We have a good amount of kings down here.

The area he is talking about holds some feeder kings and is polluted with black rockfish. If he mooches, he will get covered up with bass and juvinile lings. It's not like POW where you have schools of springers comeing through. Montague has raging current so if you put out a mooching rig while anchored, halibut fishing, you will be likely to loose a king in the current.

What port are you coming from to fish Montague? You could fish the eastern side during slack tides and not have a problem with large currents. Wind is the biggest problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast