Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tundra Trucks

Default Tundra Trucks

Did anyone hear if those idiots got their trucks out of the tundra on the Haul road?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Last I heard they are still parked on the tundra and with the temps anchoring at -50 at the pass for the next 3-4 days I bet they are **** cold!

Default Global

Looks like these guys are going to be known global wide , If you got the new issue of Alaska magazine there is an article in there with a photo of one of the trucks stuck in the tundra , The author or someone suggested in the article the guys should have to pack the trucks out 1 piece at a time for their crime

I find it pretty comical really...I mean, yeah it sucks, but they should have thought twice before driving on the tundra...

Heck, they're in the Military, sounds like a good mission for a blackhawk crew to airlift em out :P

There goes a years worth of pay :P

Wink Toughest Trucks Around!

If ever they are able to drive them out, it might make a good advertising! I"ve never seen , or herd a truck commercial that would advertise a truck frozen at -50f all winter in the north slope have you? Of course they better have the proper permits, or their troubles might start again. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Can you imagine the cost of hauling that truck out of the muck, no matter what the method? My guess it would be cheaper to leave it in place and write it off, however not a great option.

I like the idea of packing it out one piece at a time since they were too lazy to pack anything on their backs in the first place.

To be real honest with you I am very suprised that the Air Force has allowed something like this go on as long as it has. Knowing the Air Force as well as I do, they hate black eyes in teh media and this is gonna continue to get worse as time goes by. Not saying in anyway that the Air Force is responsible for this mess but they usually do a pretty good job of cleaning up messes their troops get into so that they dont get a black eye over it. How long did it take for them to ship out the Lt Col and his wife that started the fire down by Nenana this past summer, Not Long! They were out of state pretty quick. The removal of these trucks is gonna have to happen via the hands of someone who can foot the bill and yes a CH-47 would do a great job of lifting them out once the ground freezes in say, late June. It sucks bad that this mess is now going to be viewed by every granola in the world that subscribes to the Alaska magazine, just making us hunters look worse all the time.

Ah yes...........but if they sent in helicopters to pick up the trucks then they are breaking F&G's rule about not being able to use helicopters in any fashion for any reason to aid people hunting.
    But I do think it is a good idea for AF or Army to offer to do this. The guys were stupid and lazy but they suffered enough. Be easy for the military to schedule a "training" mission once the ground thaws and give em a quick lift to the road.
    Tennessee

I secondwhat Snowwolfe says. It wouldn't exactly be a waste of money since they will burn the fuel on other training missions if they don't do this one.
    As for the F&G rules I believe those can be waved by permit in such circumstances.
    I used to work for a helicopter company & we would get permission to bring out injured hunters & such but couldn't bring out their meat or camp. At this point I think F&G would go along with it.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I think the hunting issue is long gone now its more of an environmental issue. You know theres still a good chance that these trucks will leak oil, coolant,fuel, P/S fluid and other contaminants into the tundra the longer they sit there. Plus, then theres the fact that the trucks might affect the Caribou migration! <grins>

Default blackhawk can't do it

There is no way a Blackhawk could pick these trucks up unless/until they are broken free from the tundra. They could easily pick up the trucks, but they can't pull them out of the mud.

A Chinook (CH-47) sure as heck can, and we got a bunch of them at Wainwright, and its the closest base to the slope.

Didnt I mention the training mission angle with Chinooks about 3 months ago??

Jim get to work or I'm calling Andy!

Default air lift

Even if they did chopper the trucks out. The guys would still have to heat the tundra and dig out the axles because their going to rip right off, if you try and pull them out now.

Im back at two, whewwwww!

They wont be able to air lift them till the ground thaws, I am guessing mid to late June.

Has anybody official even made mention of this? Someone has a plan somewhere. I cant believe they would just let them rust down while two airmen keep tinkering with ideas thatll never work. Sometime somebody big is going to have to step up and get this done.

Slow Down There Jim...as Cold As It Is I Think The Best Idea Now Is To Wait Till It Thaws...the "airman" (as You So Elequently Put It) Will Have To Pay For The Huge Tundra Land Vehicles To Cruise Out And Pull Them Out, Pay For A Crew Of Excavators To Release It From The Tundra, And Then Pay To Have The Tundra Rebuilt...put Those Fees With The Numerous Fines, And World-wide Embarrasment And The Punishment Fits The Crime...as Far As It Rusting And Tainting The Tundra I Think Its A Very Very Very Small Fish In A Huge Sea Of Pollution…
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

That plan of yours there is gonna cost as much as a Chinook with the right intentions motivated by a US Air Force General (from Elmendorf) that is logistically coordinated by a Col (from Ft. Wainwright) and do a lot more damage. I do however agree that they (the trucks) will stay where they are till June.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast