Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spotting scope tripod lightweight for shaving weight for sheep

Default spotting scope tripod lightweight for shaving weight for sheep

I am in the market for a lightweight tripod for field use only. I heard there are some good carbon fiber ones being produced. Just wanted to see if anybody has any recommendations.

Thanks
    “A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

big 27; i use an old model leupold 25X rubber armored spotter with an adjustable leupold tripod, it is way lighter and more compact than my swarovski. the tripod has adjustments for center height, leg height, and head rotation. a good place to shop is online with eBay as a start. good luck.
    happy trails.
    jh

I have an adjustable leupold and its like 2 lb 2 oz. I am happy with my leica 20-60 worth its weight in the field.
    “A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

I bought one of these last year, I have used it on one hunt and I like it so far.......it is very versatile, I will say that............I dont know the weight?

http://joby.com/store
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Modo Maxi with Quick Release 785PL

Used it this year, super lighweight, love the joystick style head. Not very stable fully extented but never really need to fully extend it on a sheep hunt. Its a three section, actually going to make it into a 2 section and save a little more weight. Put a pentax on it

Manfrotto 728B Digi- full size tripod, 3.75lbs, very stable for its weight, i like it

I would spend $200 or so.

This ones comes in around 1lb...
    http://www.amazon.com/Slik-Compact-X.../dp/B00009V316
    (Despite what amazon says)

Works great. Cool factor is the price! Can't beat it! : )

Given the binoculars and spotting scope, (and that spotting scope without a REALLY good tripod is not nearly as useful), are the two pieces of equipment that probably will have the greatest influence on the harvesting and type of animal taken that's the last place one should look to "save weight".
    Joe

I agree with optics being #1 however I am not sold Leupold makes the lightest and sturdiest tripod out there just looking at upgrading to something that offers a stable platform and is lighter. There are some great synthetic materails being produced today that is just as strong as aluminum and lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Given the binoculars and spotting scope, (and that spotting scope without a REALLY good tripod is not nearly as useful), are the two pieces of equipment that probably will have the greatest influence on the harvesting and type of animal taken that's the last place one should look to "save weight".
    Joe
    The cheap option above works great. A Crown Royal bag with ready available rocks as a hanger and its steady...

Tim, take a look at the Velbon Ultra Maxi. I bought one three or four years ago. It weighs about 1 1/2 pounds IIRC and supports my Leica 77 if the legs aren't extended all the way. It also had three angles you can set the legs at which makes it real handy in the mountains. I would have never thought a tripod that light would support 3+ pounds but it does.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Lujon,

This was kinda what I had in mind. With the 6x do you have to buy the head seperate? Or is this an upgrade to the existing head that comes on the 6x. Looks spendy but nearyl saving a 1lb of my current model. With that weight savings I can have an extra 6 pack of snickers lol.

Thanks

I use a Slik Sprint Mini. Lightweight, works OK with my Leica 62. When sitting on a steep slope and facing downhill, and with a straight spotter, it could be a touch taller (though I never extend the center pole). I'm very happy with it. Also, it fits with my scope in a MR padded pouch.

Some folks like the Slik EZ Pro. Little bigger, little heavier, with a pan head.

I forget what tripod alaska_lanche has, but he uses one of another brand. Not quite as light as the Sprint Mini, but it has much greater extension - someone shorter than me (I'm 6'-1") could use it to glass standing up with an angled spotter. If I was a few inches shorter and had an angled spotter it's the one I would get.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    Tim, take a look at the Velbon Ultra Maxi. I bought one three or four years ago. It weighs about 1 1/2 pounds IIRC and supports my Leica 77 if the legs aren't extended all the way. It also had three angles you can set the legs at which makes it real handy in the mountains. I would have never thought a tripod that light would support 3+ pounds but it does.
    Another vote for Velbon here. They make several models, but I've always gone with the cheaper model. For me the biggest considerations are weight, height, and ease of use. Don't get one with screw fittings on the legs- flip levers are much easier to use when you're wearing gloves. I use a large scope (Leica Televid 77-- weighs just over four pounds), and the Velbon tripods have worked well for me. They're not gonna last you 20 years, but at $30, they'll do you right for a few anyway.

I also prefer a full-sized tripod so I can see out of my scope while seated on a hillside without having to lay down or crane my neck into some awkward position. You've got to be comfortable in those long glassing sessions or you'll get fatigued and lazy. That's when you miss some really good opportunities. You want to be at your peak when you're glassing.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Joe
    What the hell, just get a commercial surveyor's tripod and do it right. http://www.engineersupply.com/crain-...pod-90550.aspx Only $269 and comes in right around 16lbs. Very solid and it's only weight.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    What the hell, just get a commercial surveyor's tripod and do it right. http://www.engineersupply.com/crain-...pod-90550.aspx Only $269 and comes in right around 16lbs. Very solid and it's only weight.
    pack it around enough and the weight will be naturally shaved "elsewhere"....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Good point!
    Either of these models of binocs will further reduce that constant menace - weight Will try to find the plans - if you're interested!
    Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good point!
    Either of these models of binocs will further reduce that constant menace - weight Will try to find the plans - if you're interested!
    Joe
    They have as much substance to them as, ....well, never mind

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast