Thread: I want to buy a new King setup

Default I want to buy a new King setup

Since its that time of year, I figure I should buy myself a new rod! I want a new King Rod. I am a fan of TFO rods and I am thinking about a 10 weight. What length should I get? I have never used a spey set up but wouldnt be opposed to it. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

9' 10wts have sent many a king to the barbecue, so if you are into the single-hand thing and don't want to break the bank, a TFO would probably work just fine.

As far as the long twigs go, 8/9's and 9/10's in the 13' to 14' range are all a fella really needs for kings unless you are on a huge river and need to consistently hit 120'+ all day...in that case, you are better off with a 15' 10wt.

If you are looking for a good starter speyrod for kings, I happen to be selling a St. Croix Imperial 9/10 14' 3pc that has seen comparatively little fishing time...$150 + shipping.

I'm not atech wiz on rods for Kings, but spent most of my life fishing salmon on Lake Superior streams during spring spawn. Rod just needs to be sturdy and basically non-breakable in my opinion. Line is your key to landing big fish in fast waters. I recommend Maxima line for any salmon fishing. 25 pound test feels like 10 pound test anything else and will usually land twice it's rated rate. Lake Superior river fishermen totally believe in it as well as me. I use it for ice fishing too. Best line in my opinion bar none.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    I'm not atech wiz on rods for Kings, but spent most of my life fishing salmon on Lake Superior streams during spring spawn. Rod just needs to be sturdy and basically non-breakable in my opinion. Line is your key to landing big fish in fast waters. I recommend Maxima line for any salmon fishing. 25 pound test feels like 10 pound test anything else and will usually land twice it's rated rate. Lake Superior river fishermen totally believe in it as well as me. I use it for ice fishing too. Best line in my opinion bar none.

i knew there had to be something wrong, lake superior! haha
    Semper Fi!

i just got set up with a gloomis 9' 9 wt GL2 for next season, i've heard really good things about it. not to mention it is relatively cheap considering its a fly rod (nowadays anyway) haha

I want to thank you all for your input. After weighing the options, (sage, st croix, gloomis, and tfo), I think I am going to get the TFO TiCr 12ft 12wt with Double hand grip. I would have liked to have found a 10wt 12ft but havent been able to find any on the different company websites. Now to pick a reel and line. Any ideas? I have a Lamson that I really like and a GLoomis reel thats ok.

I just saw a king reel NIB on the swap and sell forum. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...e-on-fly-reels
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Echo is another TFO priced option as well
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Beulah makes an 11' 9/10 surf rod that is an absolute cannon. I have a 7/8 with a prototype of their new surf line that they sent me to try, and I dig it a lot. I threw an 8/9 11' lined with an 11wt intermediate OutBound at the Portland sportsman's show last year, and that is a sweet rig as well...no problems throwing 30'+ of line out the end of a 90' casting pool.

Thanks for all the insight guys. I got it figured, rod ordered and am going to buy the reel of choice tomorrow(Lamson Litespeed 4). Last question: Sink tip or floating line?

Not much choice in the 12wt department.

OutBound Full-float or Intermediate come to mind...AirFlo Depthfinders come in 12wt sizes, too. Or you could drop $100 for a sharkskin 400gr streamer express.

Your best bet is to make your own 30' shooting heads. Try to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 375-400 grains and you are in business.

G Smolt I ended up going with a 10 ft 10 wt. Figured it was a happy medium. Plus I like it a little sporty!

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Last question: Sink tip or floating line?
    Both! But start with a floater
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Both! But start with a floater
    I ended up going with the floater and was definitely going to pick up some sink tip maybe 250gr. I ended up going with the Rio Clouser WF10. But now the question is what kind of leader to get that sinks fast?

14' X-super-fast sink polyleaders get down alright, but it is pretty hard to beat t-17 if you need to get down (and stay down) in a hurry...if you can find some old-school t-22, you are even better off.