Thread: The bow of my Sportjon: which fourwheeleris the best 'fit'?

Default The bow of my Sportjon: which fourwheeleris the best 'fit'?

I'm not up to speed with ATV's so I need some help. What I'm looking for is a smaller four wheeler (4x4) that has plenty of torque I can take along with me.. in the bow of my Phantom Sportjon. Ideally it should be able to hold a 220lb man with a good size load on the front and back racks. Because I'll be transporting it with my boat, I'd like to stay as light as I can without giving up to much horsepower and strength. Don't get me wrong, the SJ can haul the weight; I just want something smaller in size leaving me plenty of room for extra fuel, gear, etc.

I don't care about new or used.. just something proven to be a small workhorse that's compact and up for the task. Hopefully some first hand advice will help out before I start talking to people on Craigslist and/or the local dealers, etc.

Anyone have any recommendations? As always, thanks.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

A stock Yamaha big bear with a winch would be well suited to the needs you describe. The price is right on them and they have a reputation for being bulletproof. They are a manual shift though and to some that is a negative but there is a similar sized grizzly (or kodiak?) version that is auto. I would take the stock Big Bear though w/ it's super low 1st gear and the fact that it is as close to no maintenance as you can get.

id stay away fromthe yamaha unless u wanna haul a bunch of parts and tools with you for it! get you a honda foreman 500...cant go wrong there...all the powere u will ever need...and will last you forever!
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

hey bro check this site out

http://www.world-of-atvs.com/4x4-atvs.html

Personally I would try to find a Honda 300 with a winch. 10-15 years ago a 300 WAS the big machine. They are more than capable and still light and small enough to maneuver around and easier for one guy to load in and out of the boat. Having a winch would be the key. They take up less space and are lighter as well. Given the fact that you will be hunting out of your boat and from your wheeler you are more concerned with just having it help you haul your meat and gear than actually ride you around anyways and a little Honda 300 will do it with ease IMO. You will get stuck so a winch is a must. Differential lock can be nice as can more power to turn bigger tires but when going off trail it usually means you just go a bit further between winching or a bit further into the mud hole. Here I think small, lightweight, and capable would be the key. Plus the kick start like a motor cycle vs. the pull start like most of the other brands is pretty sweet in the event the battery dies or something.

Don't really need independent suspension I would imagine either you will be off trail so likely it will be super rough regardless so a simple straight shaft design is nice.

Good luck in your quest.

I found a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 300 in showroom condition at a price I couldn't pass up. The 300 is only 550lbs and will do the job well - once I get a winch. Thanks to everyone for the input.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

That should get it done for you! Post up some pics when you get her all loaded up.