View Poll Results: AR-10 Or M14 for a Woods Gun?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • AR-10 .308

16 50.00%
  • M14 .308

17 53.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: AR-10 Or M1A (M14)?

Default AR-10 Or M1A (M14)?

What would you choose for a woods gun, AR-10 .308, DPMS, RRA, Armalite VS M14?
    If AR-10 what model do you prefer?

I think the Bushmaster .308 OCR looks like a fun deer/caribou/varmint gun, although its quite heavy compared to a purpose built. I don't mind carrying a heavy gun but I know some would consider that a turnoff.

Ive had both. Sold the AR10. Still have the M1A. I don't have anything bad to say about the AR10, I just like the M1A better. Mine is an older springfield built with miltary parts. TRW bolt, H&R barrel, etc. One inch groups with factory ammo and open sights is tough to beat.

I like the DSA FAL over both of them.

I have one of the older Bushmaster BAR10's and really like it. Yes it is heavy but with my handloads it shoots great. I have taken several caribou with it. I have shot several M1's in various modles and they just did not 'feel' right to me. Not that they did not shoot good, just me.

I like the M-14, Carried one in Nam.

Looks like the M14 has a small edge, over the AR-10. I would guess the M14 would be a better longer range rifle with the iron sights.

Don't really know as the M-14 is a "better" gun than the AR-10, although I don't care for the AR type guns generally, myself. The AR certainly lends itself to easier scope mounting, and more strap on accessories are available if you want to make the gun heavier and more cumbersome. For me, the M-14 points more naturally and has a more traditional feel, especially with a walnut stock. The AR is probably more weatherproof, but I take care of my guns in the field, so that really isn't a consideration for me. AR's feel top heavy to me and are awkward to handle. Like previously mentioned, the FAL seems to surpass either in ergonomics and basic "shootability" for lack of a better term. FAL's are my hands down favorite in the 308 class of battle rifles.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

The LMT makes everything else look obsolete.

If you're not going to put optics on it, get a FAL. DSA carbine would be an ideal "woods gun". M1A's are pretty worthless to put optics on also and a huge money pit. If you must go with optics, I'd do an AR-10 for sure. If money were no object, I'd get a Larue OBR.

I find the M-1A (M14) to be a very sleek rifle and generally to be the most accurate of all those mentioned. It has some down falls, magazine expense for one. I have two AR-10's, (Armalite) and a DSA FAL carbine, as well as a standard rifle, Springfield, M-1A. One of the AR's is a match grade rifle and will shoot closer groups than any of the others but the AR-10 carbine is mediocre in accuracy as is the FAL. The Springfield is worthy of about 4" groups at three hundred with the match sights on it. The most shootable ( I like that term, Bugs) is no doubt the FAL with full left side workable parts and right hand in shooting position at al times. It's easier to shoot prone than the AR's. The FAL has tunable gas system, neither the AR or M-1A have that but Patriot Ordinance and LWRC and others make a piston driven AR type that is much better gas system, etc than standard ARs. All above $2000. The M1A will be about $1800 and up. The AR-10s start at about $1200.
    I do consider the FAL design to be the best battle rifle of the 20 century and DSA makes a very good one. They do have a very good scope mount for it that just replaces the top cover and is solidly mounted to the upper. A pic rali taking Mil spec or Weaver style rings. I've shot mine several hundred rounds with the scope and it is solid and reliable mount.

DSA magazines (new manufacture) are about $25, 20 rounds, $30 for 25 rounders, AR-10 mags are about $55 and some don't fit all brands. New Springfield M1A mags are about $65 for 20 rounds.

You do need to add FAL to the poll.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Me like the Rock River LAR-8

I have an SR 25, by Stoner and it shoots as good as advertised, 1/2" groups at 100 yards are common. I use Federal Match Ammo. I broke in the barrel by shooting and cleaning it a lot before I started serious shooting. I also have a DPMS, just getting it going, have some more conditioning of the barrel to do. The SR 25 does great on Yotes at long range, 300 to 600 yards, Have fun.

I have a DPMS LAR-10 rifle w/ heavy barrel and its a shooter, accurate as heck. I still prefer my FAL for its "shootability" as a woods gun. Probrably should include the HK91 in this battle rifle mix too. Although I don't care for them, lots of folks would dissagree with me, plus its hard to argue against $5 mags.

While I have a little respect, if you will for the AR series rifles, and I believe they have their place I'd have to go with the M14. I have grown to have something of a love/hate relationship with the M4 I've had to carry around daily through two deployments. Even with the added weight, I'd prefer the M14.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.