Thread: Getting back into it

Default Getting back into it

I had a T/C Hawken back several years ago and really enjoyed hunting with it but sold it. I am wanting to get back into hunting with a muzzleloader and need some input. I was using 90gr. of fff powder behind a 50cal. buffalo bullet and that is where I will start this time. I do not want an inline and have been looking at the Lyman Deer Stalker in stainless but have heard some good things about the Cabelas Sporterized Hawken. Can anyone tell me of their exp. with either of the rifles and what the were using in them. I wish that I could find a T/C Renegade and my search would be over. Also, my hunting will be for deer and hogs for the most part. Thanx for your help.

The Cabelas is made by Investarms, so with cosmetic differences it's basically a Lyman, too. Though I don't have any experience with the Cabelas versions, I've always had great luck with Lymans.

My wife has a Deerstalker in 54 cal, and I haven't shot it a lot. Because she won't let me! I'm only half kidding. It's a great little rifle and accurate as sin with anything we've fed it. My wife only shoots round balls, but they're plenty potent for deer and even moose. She's using 90 grains of 3f Goex of Pyrodex P for large game, 60 grains for general plinking and 30 grains for head-shooting snowshoe hares. Just a dandy.

On a side note, we've got several T/C Renegades, including 50 cal, 54 cal and the 58 cal Big Boar. They're dandy, but you need to shop around to find a good deal. Since TC isn't making them any more, many folks are getting a little proud of them price-wise.

I had a Traditions LT that I just sold, but what a killer gun it was. Dead on and easy to load. I loved it, just getting too crippled up to hunt that way anymore. My shoulders are bad and running the rod was just getting too hard for me to do anymore. Muzzle Loaders are fun though. Had my fun times with em for sure.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Thanx for the help. I am kinda leaning towards the Deerstalker for a couple of reasons. One is that I can get it in stainless, although I dont really know if that will mean much to me here in Texas but I have always wanted a stainless rifle. The second reason is that if I ever need customer service I can contact the maker directly, but I have never had any kind if problem with Cabelas customer service. BrownBear, you said that you shoot Pyrodex, all I ever shot was back powder. From what I know the Pyrodex is easier to clean but what other reason makes it your choice. I may have been committing a cardinal sin but I was told that the best way to clean my other rifle was with just warm water and a little dish soap thru the barrel and then a little lube once it had dried. The smell in the bathtub almost cost me a divorce but other than that it seemed to work fine for me. Any better advice on this? I am also leaning towards the 54 cal., more for the reason that I just want it than need it. Thanx again.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteowl View Post
    BrownBear, you said that you shoot Pyrodex, all I ever shot was back powder. From what I know the Pyrodex is easier to clean but what other reason makes it your choice. I may have been committing a cardinal sin but I was told that the best way to clean my other rifle was with just warm water and a little dish soap thru the barrel and then a little lube once it had dried. The smell in the bathtub almost cost me a divorce but other than that it seemed to work fine for me. Any better advice on this? I am also leaning towards the 54 cal., more for the reason that I just want it than need it. Thanx again.
    I prefer black, but it's darned near impossible for me to get in my location. I've got some now, but I stay "current" with how use Pyrodex for the next time it runs out. The downside of Pyrodex is that it's harder to ignite, and the first thing I would do when you get your rifle is change out the nipple for a hotshot type, especially if you're going to use CCI caps. They're not a happy fit with Lyman's own nipples and misfires can result. Pyro also need to have the flame channel cleared every half dozen shots or so or you start getting hang fires or delayed fire. It's do-able, but black is definitely better.

You're right on the money for cleaning, and in fact black is easier to clean. Firing Pyrodex produces perchlorates, and they're death on steel if you don't get it all out and right away. You can get them out, but you have to get barrels cleaner than clean before storing them long term. I clean them, let them sit a couple of days, then clean them all over again. It seems like some missed perchlorates soak out from somewhere after the first cleaning.

You'll enjoy the Deerstalker I bet! The only thing I'd think of changing is maybe getting a 54 rather than a 50. The outside barrel diameter is the same on both (15/16"), so the larger caliber adds up to less steel and less weight out front. And the 54 round ball is plenty for deer and hogs without having to resort to the extra recoil from heavy 50 caliber conicals. That's why my wife likes it so much.

Thanx again. I am thinking the Deerstalker is the way to go and in 54 cal. and shoot both round and conicals, I just seem to like a lot of lead. A couple more if you dont mind, other than that I just want it, is the stainless that much of an advantage and how is the trigger on the Deerstalker? I really liked the double set triggers on my last one that was another thing I liked about the Cabelas rifle. Thanx

I don't find any real advantage to the stainless in a muzzleloader since I'm anal about cleaning, though I do have lots among my CF guns.

You hit my one "complaint" on the Deerstalker. It's only available with a single trigger and according to Lyman and to aftermarket trigger sources there's no way to adapt it for them. On the plus side, it's a much better single trigger than the single on any Renegade I've ever owned. The one on my wife's is actually very good, and I suspect with only minor effort could be tuned to perfection. There are two versions of the Renegade- one with a single trigger and the other with double. If you're really fixed on a double, that might focus your search. I just don't know about the Cabelas, so I'm not being critical of it in talking about the others.

I am not really set on a double trigger, just found that I liked it. I have also heard from others that the Lyman trigger was better than most. As of right now I think this will be the way I go and in stainless just because I have always wanted one. Just to clear up one point about cleaning, you stated that the way I was cleaning my other rifle was correct and should be for my next one? Thanx for all your help.

Just to clear up one point about cleaning, you stated that the way I was cleaning my other rifle was correct and should be for my next one? Thanx for all your help.
    Yup. You're right on the money. Only thing I'd recommend extra is when you're putting it away for the season. About a week after you've cleaned it, pull it out and run a dry patch down the bore and check for rust specks. If you have them, clean it again. If not, follow the dry patch with an oiled patch. I like Eez-ox, but there are lots of others that work too.

Enjoy the new gun!

Thanx again. I will prob. pick one up in the next month or so and will let you know.

Do that. There's a little "fine tuning" of loads and break-in of the bore I can help you with, but we'll save the details till then. In a nutshell, new bores are a little rough, and shooting is the best thing for them even as you have to change loads a little after 100-200 shots or so.

I had a T/C Hawken back several years ago and really enjoyed hunting with it but sold it. I am wanting to get back into hunting with a muzzleloader and need some input. I was using 90gr. of fff powder behind a 50cal. buffalo bullet and that is where I will start this time. I do not want an inline and have been looking at the Lyman Deer Stalker in stainless but have heard some good things about the Cabelas Sporterized Hawken. Can anyone tell me of their exp. with either of the rifles and what the were using in them. I wish that I could find a T/C Renegade and my search would be over. Also, my hunting will be for deer and hogs for the most part. Thanx for your help.
    I have a Cabelas Hawkin (.50 flintlock). It is not the Sporterized version, however. I bought my Cabelas rifle when I was first getting into muzzleloading and didn't want to spend a lot of money on a muzzleloader before deciding if I liked the sport or not. I was a bit apprehensive at first buying a rifle that had "Cabelas" stamped on the barrel, but I've been pleasantly surprised. Very accurate and has held up well. The double triggers are nice. I've gotten use to them so much it is hard for me to shoot a single trigger now.

A Lyman GPR has been on my list for too long now, someday I'll own one. I'm guessing the Lyman Deer Stalker is of similar quality that Lyman muzzleloaders are known for, but don't know anyone personally that owns one. My buddy does own a Lyman Trade Rifle and he has been pleased with that model.

Jeff

I was out doing some running around today and stopped in a local shop to look, and low and behold he has a Cabelas 50 cal. Hawkin that he says has never been fired and I can not find any reason to dispute him. A fine looking rifle with nice wood and he wants $250 for it. I want to put my hands on the Deerstalker and the Sporterized Hawkin from Cabelas but I may wait till after the first of the year and if he still has it offer him $200 and try it out. It just might be a good find.