Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peeps and TC

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

Default peeps and TC

The Thompson Center Impact 50 cal purchased last month is a great shooter.
    With the factory sights we can produce 4 inch groups at 100 yards and hit 24 inch metal at 235 yards with consistancy.

I want to change the rear sight to a peep mounted in a set of scope mounting holes near the back. This will remove the mid barrel notched rear and give a longer sight radius and better target acqusition.

The first effort was a Williams WGRS peep that is easy to see but there is not enough elevation adjustment to raise the bullet more than 6 inches low at 50 yards.

Took it by WWG and they recommended trying to find a TC rear sight that might work.

Do any of you experienced shooters have any ideas?

Maybe a mounting plate under the WGRS?

Thanks

My only experience with TC sights is their tang peep, intended for sidelocks. Great sight, but I doubt it would work for you.

One thing you might consider is going to a much lower front sight. That will raise your POI quite a bit. On their sidelocks anyway TC uses from sights that are .50" tall. That made me raise the tang peep waaaaay too high. Switching to a .20 tall front sight brought it down nicely. Same might work for you. I didn't get my front sight from TC, and it's a dovetail rather than screw mount. If your rifle is dovetailed there are lots of options, but I'm not sure what's available with the right screw mount base, if that's what you have.

Thanks BB,
    This is an in-line and contact info has been sent to TC about options but ....no answer and eager to continuing to improve the sites and the gun accuracy.
    The front is a screw-in so options will be limited.
    Enjoy the Holidays

EABCO makes a great peep that fits the Encore and Omega. It works in conjunction with a picatinny rail. I have one on my Encore. I don't know if it will fit yours, but it might be worth a look.

Default Creedmore style Soule sight

I have found the Creedmore style sights to be a bit more versatile than Peep sights.

You might try a Creedmore style Tang sight for your TC inline Rifle.

This guy makes a nice sight with different base options, including one desigend for front stuffers. http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Grade-mode...item1c0d319fed The Hadley eye piece is really worth the price also. Provides for a change of apperature size to accomodate the available light.

Pedersoli also makes some nice Creedmore style sights and can be seen here: http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/?ite...d=1315&lang=en

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress you make.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Thank you for the web locations!
    Beautiful sights from pedersoli.
    Some possible options from eaboc and have asked them some fitment questions.
    Will keep you informed.

Pilot1995

I have a TC Omega and had the same issues you are having when I put a Williams peep on it. I couldn't get it sighted in because I ran out of adjustment on the peep. I ended getting the front sight machined down. This brought the point of impact up to where I wanted it, right in the middle of the peep sight adjustment. To figure how much I needed to machine off the front sight I did the following:

1. Shoot a group @ 50 yards with the sight at the top of its adjustment. Measure the height of the peep sight. Figure out how low your group is shooting.
    2. Shoot another group @ 50 yards with the sight at the bottom of its adjustment. Measure the height of the peep sight. Figure out how low your group is shooting.
    3. With these two shot groups you'll be able to figure out that XXX" of sight travel raises the point of impact by XXX" on the target. This will give you a ideal of how much needs to be cut off the front sight to get the point of impact up to where you want it when the peep sight is at the middle of its adjustment. Lucky for me the front sight on my gun was tall enough that I was able to machine enough off and get it shooting where I wanted it.

I might have my info on how I figured this at the reloading bench if you are interested in pursuing what I did. PM me if so.

Thanks for the ideas Pilot 1995.
    I have ordered a shorter front sight to start with. Shooting will tell me if more adjustments are needed and then I will try your method of machining.
    Mounting the rear sight on a base (as sold by EABCO) will improve aimpoint too.
    I'll keep everyone posted.

I've been thinking about using that same peep on my omega, how far out are you able to reach, how is the group?

Still waiting for the new, lower front sight.
    After hitting so low with the factory front and peep rear adjusted up 100% I did not shoot any more.
    The factory sights gave me good results...1st post.
    The gun is a good shooter and I will post results when the new front is tested.

Some test site-in information....
    The Williams WGMS peep rear sight with a lower (.345 instead of the factory .500) front sight works well at 50 yards. The barrel became too dirty and scattering shots at 100 yrds to shoot more.
    The 50 yards shots (250 grain over 100 grains of Pyrodex) were touching each other at 3 inches high-12 o'clock with 25% eleavation adjustment remaining.
    Looking good.

The accuracy increase sure is encouraging. I am inclined to pick up a peep for my .58 Big Boar and am looking forward to your input.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    The accuracy increase sure is encouraging. I am inclined to pick up a peep for my .58 Big Boar and am looking forward to your input.
    I put this peep sight on both my Big Boars. It's perfect. I've since replaced the front sight on one with a fiber optic, and after that experiment I'll do the same to the second. No doubt about it.

As otternorth reports, it greatly improved my accuracy, especially in low light.

BTW- That sight is a perfect fit on Lyman rifles too, with no drilling and tapping. You need to replace the front sight with a lower one for all the reasons otternorth cites, but that's easy.

Nice looking sight BB. Thanks for the link too.
    My front is a fiber optic and the Williams rear has an optional fiber ghost ring i will try once the rifle is on at 100 yrds.
    The Impact T.C. rifle i shoot is new enough that there are limited sight options available.

Default Fiber Optic ghost ring

I'd like to see what you think of William's fiberoptic ghost ring aperature. I've been thinking of giving it a shot but after experiencing delays due to a front site that was too tall, I'm hesitant about tinkering anymore. On a side note where did you end up picking up a new front site? I was told by Williams they could custom fabricate me one for $12 plus shipping ony to later find out TC will send you one for free, interestingly both only come in red.

The front came from http://sales@eabco.com and is green fiber optic.
    TC could not offer me any help with sights.
    The ghost ring opening is much larger than the supplied williams.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I put this peep sight on both my Big Boars. It's perfect. I've since replaced the front sight on one with a fiber optic, and after that experiment I'll do the same to the second. No doubt about it.

As otternorth reports, it greatly improved my accuracy, especially in low light.

BTW- That sight is a perfect fit on Lyman rifles too, with no drilling and tapping. You need to replace the front sight with a lower one for all the reasons otternorth cites, but that's easy.
    Excellent, I will have to order one up. the fiber optic front sight you have, is it the T/C sight ? I have that mounted now, made a huge difference.

IIRC it might be a Williams. It was in a plastic box of assorted sizes at the local sporting goods store, and I just picked out the one I needed. BTW- If you're ever ordering one, sight height is measured from the bottom of the dovetail.

http://eabco.com/Muzzleloader03.htm

Not sure if this was suggested already. I have this and it works well. Scope with quick detach for load development or regular season hunting. Lots of elevation adjustment. Could mount laser and light if you want to go tactical. Hope this helps.

After experimenting with various weight bullets and charges, I found 2-50 grain Pyrodex under a 240 grain Barnes Expander MZ and a 209 STS primer to be the combination for my TC Impact. The Barnes are difficult to stuff though.
    Bench rested 100 yard three shot groups at 3 inches and consistent hits on a 24 inch steel target at 235 yards with a 12 inch hold over.
    Got the sites adjusted spot on.
    Thanks for the cold weather load tip. Will try that too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast