Thread: squirrel hunting this morning...

Smile squirrel hunting this morning...

So the area that i normally walk looking for squirrels is pretty close to my house. I had walked all over the place, hoping to find a squirrel out braving the wind. After not seeing or hearing much, i decided to head home. i was getting pretty close to my house, only 3 or 400 yards left to go, when i hear a squirrel chirping his lungs out! I got closer to investigate, to find a fox, trying to get up the tree after this squirrel! I couldnt believe what i was seeing! We live in a pretty developed subdivision, so its pretty rare to see anything other than a moose every few days. So i was shocked to say the least! Now, any other day, i would have been carrying a 22 or my 17, but of course, since we live in the management area, i only had a pellet gun. Darn! That fox seemed to know very well that he was safe, and let me get right up close to him, and he didnt move until i got to about 20 yards or so. I went to get the camera out of my pocket, only to find out that it was out of batteries. Darn again! Even though i couldnt get a shot, it was still very cool to see something like that so close to home. Now if only i could get my friends to believe me! So by the time i got home, i had seen 7 moose, a fox, and only heard one squirrel. I wish i could have those results when moose or predator hunting!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Sounds like a fun day in the woods, thanks for posting,

Squirrels, now that's an idea for gettin' out there....
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

yeah thats really the only small game that i can hunt close to the house. and grouse too i guess, but i really dont like hunting them in the winter because they start to taste a little funny about now! but hey, hunting is hunting! as long as i can hunt, im good!
    Ryan from Wasilla

when do the squirrels start tasting funny? what kinda food you make with them? stew?
    Semper Fi!

you know greythorn ive actually never eaten one. i always give them to a friend, who happens to like them a lot. i think he just makes a stew of some kind out of them? he seems to like them and is always pretty happy when i bring him one.
    Ryan from Wasilla

are you giving them to that levi johnston?
    Semper Fi!

not that im aware of
    Ryan from Wasilla

All the squirrels in my neighborhood are sleeping in our attic for the winter I think.........LOL
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Nothing like trapping close to home! In the attic I mean!

Great day even though you didn't shoot anything. Always great to see any wildlife close to home. Even though I have seen a million moose near my home its always cool to see them and I still stop and watch them. Great post!

Alaska squirrels, from the ones I've seen, are too dang small to even bother with. I'm used to goin' after large, Texas gray squirrels that fatten themselves up on pecans and acorns. I'm guessin' it would take three AK red squirrels to make one TX gray one...that's a lot of squirrels to make a decent stew.
    America...land of the free, home of the brave and infiltrated by the blind & naive.

Psalms 109:8