Thread: Late season hunt pics

Default Late season hunt pics

Hooked up with Waldo2382 for some late season fun till the weather turned bad

I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Great pics!

One comment and one question:

Please tell me the guy in the kayak has a life jacket on. I hunt out of small boats and kayaks a lot and it's imperative that everyone wheres a life jacket when on the water in those little boats.

Your full body ducks look great! How were you hiding on the ice? Hunkering down in a slough or something?

Erich

Thanks for the comment.

The guy in the kayak was coming back from a short bird retrieve when I took that pic. I 100% agree life jackets save lives. The guy in the kayak and I wear them.

I was hiding in the scrub brush to the rear of the decoys. At hight tide the floaters were floating but the only birds I killed were during low tide while the decoys were frozen in like in the pics.

nice job buddy wish i could of gone!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

One more:

Boy I've sure killed a pile of late season mallards on that little bend in the slough!! Also helped a buddy kill his black bear right there in the scrub brush where you were hiding. Of course that was a little earlier in the year!

I am a hardcore waterfowler, and that looks like some mighty interesting duck hunting. Always wondered if you guys ever used field spreads and/or full bodie & spinners, that little ice spread set up looks deadly...

Down here in waterfowl mecca (north central ND) probably 80% of my hunting is done in fields and most of the rest is pass shooting with feet on terra firma. Way easier to trailer a FB spread & blind out into a stubble field than load a boat with wife, two dogs, and a spread. I have three boats (a 15' War Eagle for big water, 14' jon & 14' Carstens Mallard for sloughs) and they hardly ever get wet anymore...

We just made a big batch of goose teriyaki sticks, talk about great eating!...

Quote Originally Posted by NDTerminator View Post
    I am a hardcore waterfowler, and that looks like some mighty interesting duck hunting. Always wondered if you guys ever used field spreads and/or full bodie & spinners, that little ice spread set up looks deadly...

Down here in waterfowl mecca (north central ND) probably 80% of my hunting is done in fields and most of the rest is pass shooting with feet on terra firma. Way easier to trailer a FB spread & blind out into a stubble field than load a boat with wife, two dogs, and a spread. I have three boats (a 15' War Eagle for big water, 14' jon & 14' Carstens Mallard for sloughs) and they hardly ever get wet anymore...

We just made a big batch of goose teriyaki sticks, talk about great eating!...
    I'll chime in for SE Alaska waterfowl hunters...

We have no farm fields to hunt! We do have natural river deltas with salt grasses, so you could hunt ducks and geese with full bodies and layout blinds, but you'd still need a boat to get to 90% of them. The other problem is that they are tidal, so you have to make sure you're not going to float away in the middle of your hunt. The geese around Juneau tend to stay on the water until after the season. They really hit the ground in early spring, walking high up on the islands and banks and such, but during the season they typically only go on land at night and stay way out on the flats during low tide.

Guys around Fairbanks may have opportunities to hunt fields since there is farming activity, but someone else will have to share that info.

Erich

Thanks Erich, I kind of wondered how you guys got at honkers. I'm guessing I'll be selling my field spread if I can get up there. Having to take the tide into account must add an interesting element to a hunt...

The last 5 years or so, we have gotten an early honker season prior to the resident only first week of general season. This early goose season starts as early as mid-August. It's intended to put a dent in the local birds as they raise so much cane with the crops. I don';t usually hunt until September as hunting geese in 80 degrees just doesn't feel right and is dangerous for the dogs. Kind of funny that 25 years ago they were a rare bird and if a guy got a couple a year it was a big deal. Now getting 100 or more a season hardly raises an eyebrow...

Those scoters & harlequins (probably sic) are cool birds. I once got a scoter while out doing some big water diver hunting on Devils Lake, the only one I ever saw other than in pictures. He apparently was way lost! NDGF looked it over & verified it was a surf scoter, but weren't interested in it beyond that...

Do you guys get into snows & blues up there in the SE area, or are they an interior bird?

Juneau's weird in that we're off the beaten path from the major migration routes. Most of the birds travel along the outer coast or inland through Canada. We only see snow geese if they get blown inland by fall storms. There was a flock of a couple dozen that hung out for a week this year. We also get a few white fronts and I've seen several flocks of cacklers.

Another oddity is that our geese could be considered locals. They are a unique sub species call Vancouver's and they don't migrate. They move around the region but don't go very far.

We have very strong populations of sea ducks. Harlequin thrive with our thousands of creeks that they nest on. Scoters actually nest inland, so seeing them where you are isn't too much of a stretch. Some get caught up in the migration south.

Erich