View Poll Results: Wood or other Stock???

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm over 40 / prefer wood

29 28.71%
  • I'm over 40 / prefer other

35 34.65%
  • I'm under 40 / prefer wood

15 14.85%
  • I'm under 40 / prefer other

22 21.78%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood or Other Stocked Rifles???

Default Wood or Other Stocked Rifles???

I have wood and laminate and molded stocked guns but truly love a nicely wood stocked gun when conditions are favorable. I realize there would be advantages to molded esp in AK but was curious how many chaps still prefer a nice wood look when the go afield?
    Maybe its an age thing???Lets find out?
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have both, and find a reason to appreciate them both. I love to handle and polish wood, but really enjoy not having to be too careful with "plastic" in inclement weather. I own five wood stocked rifles/shotguns (and a pistol) and four plastics.

If I ever get too old to shoot and hunt, I will probably give away my plastics to family members, but keep my woods for reminiscing and caressing until I take the big sleep. Then they can fight over the woods.

My goto rifle is a wood stocked blued Ruger, the barrel channel and action have been glass bedded and I use turtle wax if its going on a long hunt (helps a lot). I just like the look and feel of a wood stocked rifle, I have 2 synthetic stocked rifles that I lone to family/friends when they need a rifle.

I am under 40 and while I think a nice wood stock looks a lot better than a synthetic stock, to me form follows function and for field use and now worrying about beating up a nice piece of hardwood I prefer synthetic in my hunting rifles. If I had a safe queen that only got brought to the range or something a nice looking wood stock is hard to beat.

I love the look and feel of wood... I most frequently hunt with a kevlar stocked rifle but when I start eyeballing new rifles the wood stocked ones are simply more appealing.

I'm under 40, and finally kicked all those "gun magazine" influenced pathetic sythetics to the curb. I own all wood-stocked rifles and haven't had a problem. For the entire spring,summer,and fall (over 60 days total in the field), I've toted a wood stocked/blued rifle in the freighter canoe...... and it still looks fine. The look and feel of a wood-stocked rifle can't be beat IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I am under 40 and while I think a nice wood stock looks a lot better than a synthetic stock, to me form follows function and for field use and now worrying about beating up a nice piece of hardwood I prefer synthetic in my hunting rifles. If I had a safe queen that only got brought to the range or something a nice looking wood stock is hard to beat.
    I'm over forty by a ways, and the reality of hunting the Coastal Mtn. Country is pretty demanding on even my "Plastic" Stocks, so the Function part of the deal is pretty hard to ignore,

Still had to vote for preferring Wood, when I look and dream, the Wood Grain calls pretty strongly, thinking of a Range gun next, will be wood stock and Stainless action/barrel
    and, Yep, I'll undoubtedly take it into the woods, Kill a few Deer with it, get a few nicks and scratches on it for "Character"

As much as I like Blueing also, I can't justify all the maintenance to avoid Rust,
    Which I Can't Stand for a second, seems impossible to avoid in the Saltwater environment.....

But back to stocks, I try not to believe all the wood swelling when wet stuff, I can do that maintenance.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Raised in southeast alaska and never had 1 problem with my wood/blue rifles and love the look and feel of wood. That said, I have been putting fiberglass handles on my blued rifles lately and my goto rifle is SS. I like not worrying about getting road rash on my stock.

Will always love the wood though.

As much as I love the look and feel of a wood stock, a few of which ive re-done myself over the years, I worry about gettin them out in the elements. Both my 30-06 and my 300wm have synthetic stocks, as does my 10/22. My remington model 12 shotgun however, is gonna stay wood, but thats because it doesnt get the abuse that the rifles do in the thick brush and high country. the worst thing I fear is when they are in your vehicle while hunting, on the seat, under the seat, people gettin in and out, spilling sodas and what have you.

Release Lake Trout

Being over 40 and preferring wood
    ......... because it dosent freeze to the skin, I can modify it for a perfect fit, repair it at home, and in a serious pinch, I can shave it for fire starter tinder.

Taking care of wood is as basic as taking care of the metal.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Being over 40 and preferring wood
    ......... because it dosent freeze to the skin, I can modify it for a perfect fit, repair it at home, and in a serious pinch, I can shave it for fire starter tinder.

Taking care of wood is as basic as taking care of the metal.
    Yes, and if your MNs are as oil soaked as mine was, that wood should flame up real fast.

Over 40 and prefer the look and feel of wood. Prefer stainless for the obvious performance / maintenance issues. I own both wood and synthetic, blued and stainless. some of the stainless is "natural", some is coated black and I like the more traditional look of that as well. There are pros and cons, compromises with each combination. Ultimately, I like the look and feel of wood, paired with coated stainless. I think that's a reasonable compromise. That being said, my current go-to 338-06 is coated stainless on synthetic.

Today Santa brought me a Rem700 CDL - wood w/stainless fluted barrel today and I really like the feel of it! Last Rem 700 he left me was a 243 ADL 30 + yrs ago ( I think I have been bad )? I hope to use it out west for muley's and antelope - its a .280.
    Yrs ago I looked long and hard for a big game gun in 300 wm and settled on a Win 70 - Super Grade - blue bbl.... I just really fell in love with the feel and looks and just decided it was going to get banged up some but that's OK as it was made to hunt with. It was lauded as the"Rifleman's Rifle"! Yes today it bears some scratches, but best of all it bears many fond memories. It has served me well and I carry it with pride.
    I can def say though if I were in AK weather and or a guide a SS / synthetic would likely be my preferred choice...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Under 40, I have been buying plastic stocked guns and avoiding blued steel if I can for the field. I do love the wood stocked guns, particularly the family heirlooms, i'll take them to the range but not in the woods.

I would actually take a wood gun out in the field, its just that all my wood guns are heirlooms and i've managed to find my "field" guns in plastic. The 10/22 I bought a few months ago was in wood/blue, but it got a pink hogue stock for the little lady, but i'm kicking myself for buying the blued barrel...

I hunt with a stainless, molded stock rifle. I really prefer wood and blue because i guess i think thats the way guns are "supposed to look". But after hunting in AK for 20+ years stainless and molded is the only way to keep guns protected... My grandfather would never stand for it though

i am under 40 by a ways 24, i grew up hunting deer in southeast alaska with a wood stock blued barrelled remington model 7 .243. let me tell you that having a gun that actually needs to be cared for and payed attention to the barrell and stock really makes you appreciate the gun and almost makes it more personal. my father has an old 7mm that he first bought when he moved to alaska in the 70's. He killed countless animals with this rifle, and now lets me and my brothers use it for hunting and when we hold that gun we feel proud that our father has cared for it and passed it on for us to care for. it is still his gun and always will be, but looking at the nicks in the wood just makes u wish that the gun could talk, and could tell the countless amazing stories that will be forever lost in the wilderness. thanks dad

Nicely said PPR - your father is proud of you I am sure...
    Randy

over 40...in the lowewr 48 western mountain states I enjoyed fine wood rifle stocks.

Here in elements and the alder brush in Alaska my rifles are tools. Therefore, I now exclusively use synthetic stocks for my walking staffs...I mean rifles.

Default Stainless, synthetic

I love to hunt - most anywhere. Been doing that for over 60 years BUT, unlike most that have responded, a rifle is just a tool - nothing more. Definitely not a thing of beauty (that's my wife). Possibly that's why I own only 3 rifles and that includes my Omega. As soon as I get another new gun, someone in the family gets an old one. Been doing that since I had no family. If a rifle can't be given away, it is sold - simple.

In fact, the only thing I have to do that I dislike more than cleaning a rifle is sharpening a knife. That's why I carry a Havalon now.

I know when I start a float hunt or a drop camp in Alaska, I'm going to be wet much of the time. Give me a stainless barrel & action and a McMillan stock anytime. If it gets beat up in the alders of Kodiak or used as a walking stick in the mud of a river - so be it. Minimum care - lots of shooting.

Heck, I even use one in Wyoming where it is dry most of the time. but, when it is wet I know I can hunt and not worry about my rifle.

Phil Stewart

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

OK, I'll play this silly game:

I'm way over 40 years old, and I appreciate wood stocks. I have only ONE rifle that has a synthetic stock.

I like my rifles, and could never think of them as mere tools.

They are things of beauty, whether the appeal is from Utility, or Craftsmanship.

I would have no interest in the BEST rifle in the world, if it looked ugly to me.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast