Thread: Gun cabinet build

Smile Gun cabinet build

Well, not really a complete build, more of a conversion of sorts...

I inherited this cabinet several years ago, but its didn't fit the decor of my home very well, so it ended up in my wifes sewing room closet and was filled with books and other misc. "crap" I've never owned very many guns over the years, but the wife and I have kinda got the bug over the last year, ending up with a few more long guns and another pistol. This got me thinking about building a simple gun rack to store my guns on, but I have always liked nice gun cabinets. A gun safe is out of the budget right now, so I started thinking about ways to build my own cabinet.

This cabinet was built by my Grandfather for my Grandmother, both have passed, so I wanted to use it in a way I know they would approve. I think my Grandpa would be pleased with what I have planned...

I cut the ornamental head piece off the top and removed all but one of the shelves. The door glass was stained glass with purple accents so I pulled them out and will replace with either clear glass or maybe a light tinted glass. I used one of the old shelves to make the serrated board that holds the gun barrels on 4" centers, allowing the cabinet to store 12 long guns.

Things I still need to do:
    • Move the bottom shelf to the top, this will become the pistol and ammo storage shelf
    • Install glass in the doors
    • Install catches on the doors
    • Install lighting
    • Build something to center the bottom of the guns on 4" centers (any suggestions on design?)
    • Felt the serration to protect the bbl bluing
    • Felt or paint the back wall
    • Re-install the upper mantle piece
    • Install some sort of locking latch (open to suggestions on some sort of clean latching/locking system)
    What else would you suggest? Maybe some vents to help air circulate? Anything?
    Last edited by bgreen; 07-13-2007 at 23:13.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Talking Tell your wife

You need more guns. Those few seem very lonesome. lol

kingfisherktn

Default I agree

My hunting partner was just saying the same thing! (I agree)

So far I've got 2 cheap 12 gages, Mollys 20 ga, a 338, a 243, and two .22's

I need an AR, a 223 or 204, 270, 30-06, and a nice 12 ga. <grin>
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Hey Brook you need to stop showing all of us up! First your vehicle fabrication skills and now carpentry. Just kidding you do some awesome work!

Rob

I agree with kingfisherktn, you need a few more guns to make it look right. On the one hand a nice cabinet with glass to show off all those guns would be nice but then I think I need a safe to keep them away from people and fire. For now mine are stored in their ugly cases in a closet, under the bad, and in the basement.

Default here is one i built

I built my cabinet a few years ago. Took me about a year. Didn't get in any big hurry. All joints are biscuited. Auto lights in the storage area that come on when the door is opened. Entirely 3/4" red oak, including the back. Built it into 2 pieces so it is movable!! Actually thought about selling it, but can't seem to talk myself into it... EricL

I think I still have all my plans, if you have some exact questions I may be able to help..
    Last edited by EricL; 07-14-2007 at 20:48.