Thread: Sockeye Salmon

Default Sockeye Salmon

Just a basic 'newbie' question here. The wife & I are coming to Alaska again next July. When we were there earlier this year we fished with a guide for sockeyes for the first time. Want to do it again, but by ourselves this time. I know that the hook used can not be bare- must have a piece of yarn, tinsil, etc.

My question: Is there a maximum (or minimum) length of line from the weight to the hook (legally speaking)?
    If not, what has been the best length been in your experience?

There is a minimum length weight-to-hook, I believe it is 14"? I'm not positive, as I always run closer to double that and then some (usually put the weight half-way up the 9' fly rod.)
    Reading the regulations is the way to go, I'm sure they can be found on the website for ADF&G.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

well I think it is 16 or 18 inches??????? it is either one of those, but honeslty I don't think your going to get stopped by any one unless your sinker is right on top of your hook....or fly. Truth be told, how I adjust sinkers is, I put the sinker on and throw my line in the water. Depending on whether or not I want my fly closer to the bottom or further off the bottom I adjust accordingly. There really is no advantage to putting your sinker too close, and really IMO the only reason one would do that is to snag fish. But just to make sure you should check the regs like Jon said.

18" is the legal limit, and longer is better. There are guys who do fish shorter than 18" thinking they are gaining something; they aren't. You snag ALOT more fish because yes, I have fished with a leader less than 18" before. Bad me. I like to use splitshots or pencil lead about 2 to 3 feet above the fly and that seems to work best. Bring a hook file, those hooks don't last long after many snags on the rocks.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Or use weighted flies

pike palace got it...18" is the minimum length between your leader and hook in fly fishing only water. Your hook gap can also be NO MORE than 3/8" from the shank to the point (in fly fishing only waters)
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

On the main Kenai down by Soldotna there is no size limit on the hooks, but you must have yarn on the hook. I use 3 to 4 feet of leader, a swivel and hollow core lead about 3 inches long above the swivel. For sure to sharpen or change your hooks often. "Flip" up stream about 45 degrees and sweep downstream swiftly, only about the length of your rod in line out into the river, the fish are only about 4 to 6 feet in front of you in the waterl most of the time. Have fun

Found that the Gamakatsu 2/0 (?) octopus style hooks work great and are legal; we fish the red ones with just a tad of bright orange yarn and at least 24" of leader; as stated earlier, no rule to this as you have to adjust to your specific location (and just as often adjust the amoung of weight too). Also found that instead of just tying them to a leader with a palormar, clinch, or other knots, seems to work much better to snell them to the leader (the hooks have an offset eye).
    Have fun!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    On the main Kenai down by Soldotna there is no size limit on the hooks, but you must have yarn on the hook. I use 3 to 4 feet of leader, a swivel and hollow core lead about 3 inches long above the swivel. For sure to sharpen or change your hooks often. "Flip" up stream about 45 degrees and sweep downstream swiftly, only about the length of your rod in line out into the river, the fish are only about 4 to 6 feet in front of you in the waterl most of the time. Have fun
    What about a sliding bead above the hook? Is that legal for sockeyes on the Kenai?

lemme get this straight, they worry about how long your leader is, while theres people fishing w/ dipnet hoops w/ gillnet hung in it?

YUP!!!!!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    YUP!!!!!!!!
    boy the tourists can't catch a break around here!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Or use weighted flies
    Careful, if you are fishing in fly-fishing only waters (such as the Russian), you must use un-weighted flies only.

so on the kenai there's 2 ff only areas (I think) of course the russian and I think Issak Walton has some ff only... There are hook gap restrictions, fly weight restrictions, and the weight must be at least 18 inches above the hook, also beads are not allowed. Everywhere else on the kenai is typically single hook only and a lot of the time no bait is allowed, and is never allowed on the upper river. The only restriction on beads is that they must be within 2 inches of the hook fixed or allowed to slide down to the hook.

For sockeye I like a flesh fly, and about 5 feet of T-17, but that's because I'm an ellitest *****, if I'm actually caring about catching sockeye weights about 4 feet above the fly seems to work well
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Fly fishing only areas should be outlawed. Its like hockey, only elitest can play

Fullbush, it is only a rod and you can use it the same way you flip and ugly stick

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Fly fishing only areas should be outlawed. Its like hockey, only elitest can play
    Elitists with poor dental work.....

Quote Originally Posted by tcman View Post
    Elitists with poor dental work.....
    And chronic hemroids