Thread: Wallas heater vent

Default Wallas heater vent

We have a 26' Alaskan Hewes Craft, the heater vents low out the back wall, (behind the door when open). What I have noticed is when it lights up or shuts down we get a minute of exhaust odor, and if the wind is wrong we get exhaust odors/fumes on the deck and at times back in the cabin. I'm wondering if anyone has added or extended the exhaust stack, routing it above the cabin or as come up with any other tricks, tips or solutions?
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi

Its common for the Wallas to burp a little unburned Diesel at startup but this usually doesnít occur on shutdown because the unit should burn off all the fuel then go into a cool down cycle. We always had to run our Wallas on high when we were running faster then displacement until I put a baffle in front of the exhaust port. The Scan Marine site suggests installing a small scoop type vent forward of the exhaust to do the same thing. As for wind causing a fume smell this usually isnít a problem when on anchor because the boat faces the wind and the baffle will help with that if itís really blowing. Sometimes you just have to crank it up if the conditions are all wrong, nature of the beast I guess.
    What I did was glue the PVC baffle in place with hot glue, than used 5200 when I was sure it worked.

Boat is 22ft C-Dory

IMG_2260.jpg
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Glad I'm not the only one to have this happen to some degree. I like the idea of a temp. fix, to make sure it works. I may try adding a stack first, before having it exit through the hull.
    Hi all, Erik & Jodi