Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Gear

Default Rain Gear

I'm looking to try the new Mountain Hardwear Typhoon jacket, its light and better made than the Marmot Precip, Has any one used it? Everyone I know didn't care for the precip, and the ratings on it from trailspace and backwoods didn't rate it as high. the reason, trying to find something that will keep me dry and yet be super light to pack around and dries faster. The sitka nimbus took too long to dry when wet, and I ended up packing it wet most times, also it was weighty, like the HH impertech was heavier, and very bulky when rolled up and packed away.

I like the paclite Gortex. I have a jacket by Golite. I think it's the Phantasm ior Phantom one has pockets and one doesn't I can't remember which one is which. It is bomb proof and light. I have used it for 2 years and it is still works great. Spent 7 days in rain this summer backpacking in Kachemak bay and it was great. Two week moose hunt float trip worked great, 20+ days as a shell skiing, lots of day trips and countless high country rain days. I bought another one for a backup.

Kaha,

I ran the MH Typhoon for a season (obviously the older version) a while back and just wasn't that impressed with it. Sure it is light, but not as water resistant (lets be honest no waterproof breathable will still be dry after 3 hour grind in the alders while its pouring with a pack on) as some other options. As of late I have been running the Integral Designs Thru HIker. Its made of eVent and I use it while I am packrafting even. Granted I do end up getting wet on the inside from water coming up the back when my boat is too full of water, but it dries out fast when turned inside out in the tent and is more waterproof than a couple of the $500+ goretex pro shells I have owned, plus the fact that its about half the weight of some of those pro-shells while breathing much better. I have gone through a pile of rain jackets over the years Integral Designs jacket is the first time I haven't been wanting for a better option. However, ID has now been bought out be RAB (also a great gear clothing company) so when this jacket dies I will likely go that route.

As far as durability I can't comment too much as I got it the middle of July and just have had it one about 200 miles of hiking trips, but I did use my rain jacket to help wrap my wife's legs together when she broke her leg on Kodiak and we drug her down the mountain a couple thousand vertical feet and it held up without issue.

If I was to buy another rain jacket now it would likely be this one:
    http://www.prolitegear.com/rab_latok_alpine_jacket.html
    (But in black not red )

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    I'm looking to try the new Mountain Hardwear Typhoon jacket, its light and better made than the Marmot Precip, Has any one used it? Everyone I know didn't care for the precip, and the ratings on it from trailspace and backwoods didn't rate it as high. the reason, trying to find something that will keep me dry and yet be super light to pack around and dries faster. The sitka nimbus took too long to dry when wet, and I ended up packing it wet most times, also it was weighty, like the HH impertech was heavier, and very bulky when rolled up and packed away.
    What about rain pants? I was pretty impresed with the Sitkan Nimbus pants (never did have the jacket). Pretty bummed when I wore them out. For jackets I rotate back and forth between the Patagonia Rain Shadow and the Cloudviel Zorro. I was able to score them both in pretty neutral colors and I have no complaints with either.

This material seems pretty darn cool, but I think it will be out of my price range... : )
    http://kuiu.wordpress.com/2010/11/16...abric-options/

who make rain gear in 4x sized for big guys and i need a little help here on that one ..

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    who make rain gear in 4x sized for big guys and i need a little help here on that one ..
    Alaska tent and tarp......

thank you for the info there

I was not thrilled with the cut of their rain pants but I am using a wildthings gear eVent jacket. The construction is top notch but I don't have the time in the rain to sign off on it being "the answer". It is the same fabric as the ID jacket that Alaska_Lanche is using and it is made in America. If I was to buy a jacket right now I would contact wildthings gear and check on the military discount then order this one: http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wt-tac...color=MultiCam

From their site:
    Wild Things is a US company. US citizens working in US facilities currently handle all of our product design and R&D efforts. As more US brands move design and production overseas, Wild Things strives to keep as many US workers productively employed as possible. We keep jobs and businesses going in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey and Rhode Island.

Kaha - not sure of your requirements for rain gear as it compares to Precip - but Mont Bell makes a fairly decent product that you might check out. http://www.adventureoutfittersinc.co.../mens-clothing

The best product I've found is made by Swaz, however its not cheap in price: http://swazi.co.nz/Online-Shop/Wet-Weather-Gear/

Best regards

I may have to get this to go along with my Grand Dragon poncho.... The Clansmen Beanie...

Default Pertex Shield approaches eVent for raingear fabrics...and is lighter

For waterproof/water-resistant gear, I'd be focusing on anything made with eVent vs anything made with Pertex Shield. I believe Rab is using both. My take: eVent still better breathability. Pertex Shield lighter. Either should outlast and will apparently outperform polyurethane (PU)-coated garments - like the Precip.

Breathability approx comparison:
    1. Pertex Shield: 20,000 g/m2/day
    2. eVENT: 27,000 g/m2/day
    3. Gore-Tex XCR: 21,000 g/m2/day
    4. Entrant: 21,000 g/m2/day
    5. Most PU 5,000-15,000 g/m2/day

REFS:
    http://pertex.worklove.co.uk/fabrics/shield/
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ex_shield.html

the only real big and tall rain gear i have found it the Frogg Toggs rainproof pants and jackets but i do not know if they will stand up to the Alaska wet weather for hikeing in the backcountry and general use around the house also ..

plus iamf going from husky to little fluffy at my age now so iam looking to keep me seam dry when out hikeing and can dry quickly when hung up inside the tent or the cabin

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Alaska tent and tarp......
    Spit coffee all over the desk top.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Smith View Post
    Spit coffee all over the desk top.
    i did get the joke and it probably right iam going to have to go to them to get something made

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I was not thrilled with the cut of their rain pants but I am using a wildthings gear eVent jacket. The construction is top notch but I don't have the time in the rain to sign off on it being "the answer". It is the same fabric as the ID jacket that Alaska_Lanche is using and it is made in America. If I was to buy a jacket right now I would contact wildthings gear and check on the military discount then order this one: http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wt-tac...color=MultiCam

From their site:
    I've been looking at this stuff... let us know when you've given it some "field" testing.

Anyone have any luck with the US G.I Issue Gortex coats and pants?

Quote Originally Posted by wildchild2010 View Post
    Anyone have any luck with the US G.I Issue Gortex coats and pants?
    I've had about 3 or 4 sets issued to me thru the years, and although its great for work, it wasn't made for long continued use out in the field, the gore-tex wore out and you were getting soaked, it did however serve as a good wind breaker. Also, It was rather noisy during movement... Another issue, was the rip-stop, rain poncho that went over your ruck or pack and your whole body....which still soaked thru in a good rain.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I may have to get this to go along with my Grand Dragon poncho.... The Clansmen Beanie...
    Gettin' tired of the white hoods huh?........lol

Thanks you! I would of thought, the US Military Gore-tex would hold up for years.

Just pulled the trigger on some Otte gear they have their patrol Parka on sale for $200 can't find any negative comments about their stuff.

fyi: http://www.ottegear.com/catalog-detail.php?p=16

Merry xmas 2 me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast