Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 52

Thread: 100lb Coyote!!!

  1. #1
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default 100lb Coyote!!!

    Hunter shoots a 104lb Coyote. Now that was a big Coyote.

    http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/hunter-sh...hwest-missouri

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  2. #2
    Member Gerberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Soldotna AK, Eugene, OR
    Posts
    613

    Default

    Wow, that is one big yote, I have seen some large ones in Eastern Oregon, and Montana, but 60 lb was a huge one. I hope the genes do not get into the general population of yotes down south. If that happens there will not be anymore cats or dogs left in urban America.

  3. #3
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    That big old boys gene spreading, deer killing days are over!!! I've seen some huge ones at Fort Irwin in CA, they were protected and would eat all the leftovers we GIs left laying around. They had monster ravens too, I heard a rumor that they were talking about naming them as their own sub-species.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  4. #4
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Dang that thing doesn't even look like a yote!

  5. #5
    Member GrizzlyH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Grizzes and Polars are cross breeding. Wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't a yote-wolf cross breed.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    Grizzes and Polars are cross breeding. Wouldn't surprise me if that wasn't a yote-wolf cross breed.
    Wouldn't suprise me, that there has likely been some cloning going on as well. The Re-Introducer's have big money to work with and govt backing in facilities and technologies. I doubt this 100 pounder came from natural selection.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  7. #7
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    I think the monster yote could have come from "average" size parents. Rams of modest size have produced some king sized offspring. And one professional basketball player of magnum proportions has parents no taller than you, Akres.
    Genetics happens...
    dennis

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Wouldn't suprise me, that there has likely been some cloning going on as well. The Re-Introducer's have big money to work with and govt backing in facilities and technologies. I doubt this 100 pounder came from natural selection.
    Hahaha! Is it time to put on the tin foil hats?

  9. #9
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    OK, now when I go bow hunting and I hear coyotes yipping I may walk a little faster to the truck! Yikes....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  10. #10
    Member AlpineEarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Usually somewhere I don't want to be.
    Posts
    408

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    I think the monster yote could have come from "average" size parents. Rams of modest size have produced some king sized offspring. And one professional basketball player of magnum proportions has parents no taller than you, Akres.
    Genetics happens...
    dennis
    Na, a government conspiricy tied in with liberal "Re-Introducers" trying to engineer and release huge coyote in an effort to create a super clone master coyote is much, much more reasonable.

  11. #11
    Member Bsj425's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,060

    Default

    It doesnt even look like a yote it looks ALOT like a wolf. They will just say it is a yote so they don't have to do anything about it just like there are no mountain lions in Michigan or black bears in Ohio. Oh yeah and there are apparently no pike in the Chena even tho I have caught several? Once the bios admit they are there then big bucks have to be put out for " research" and protection.

  12. #12
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Coydog maybe? perhaps a coyote and some type of malamute or husky. Could just be a freak of nature too as mentioned.

  13. #13

    Default

    They can get big in the south. My uncle in North Carolina shot a 72 lb coyote. But man 104 lbs that's huge.

  14. #14
    jwolf
    Guest

    Default

    It’s a documented fact that a ‘wolf’ will interbreed with a ‘coyote’ if an available wolf-mate can’t be found. The Eastern coyote, after extensive genetic testing, was found to have a high percentage of grey wolf lingering in the bloodline which creates a big ol “COYWOLF.” So yes, like the lovely Prizzly Bear, the two species that would normally try to kill each other become mates; it’s a great demonstration of nature protecting genetics. Fascinating…but, considering the food source that pup would need, no ear-tag etc.., I’ll put my dollar on someone’s backyard experiment turned loose.. I agree with LuJon (wow, there’s a first) perhaps a malamute/coyote cross...

  15. #15
    Member AKsoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    BIG yote! I'd have shot him too. More deer in MO this year.

    The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

    Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

  16. #16

    Default

    The head looks like a wolf or dog to me.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    I think the monster yote could have come from "average" size parents. Rams of modest size have produced some king sized offspring. And one professional basketball player of magnum proportions has parents no taller than you, Akres.
    Genetics happens...
    dennis
    Agreed. Genetic Throwbacks have been Scientifically Documented in Sheep, Elephants and other species. But for it to happen with the coyote, it would have to involve the original genetics of the Wolf, I think???. I know very little about canine breeding/ancestory/lineage, but coyote's just don't get This Big. Something more is happening in this instance, I feel. I think LuJon and jwolf have touched on it. But again, I would not be the least bit suprised to learn that humans are somehow directly involved in it's makeup.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
    Fascinating…but, considering the food source that pup would need, no ear-tag etc.., I’ll put my dollar on someone’s backyard experiment turned loose.. I agree with LuJon (wow, there’s a first) perhaps a malamute/coyote cross...
    Probably the more likely Reason.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  19. #19
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Since the article states that genetic testing showed it was a coyote I'm thinking that it may be a Pituitary gland defect. A defective Pituitary gland will cause abnormal growth and can result in above average sized individuals.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  20. #20
    Member Roland on the River's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    Was'nt there a girl in Playboy with a defective Pituitary gland?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •