Thread: 30-30 Ackley Improved chambering

Default 30-30 Ackley Improved chambering

I have an old H&R Topper single shot in 30-30. As a kid we played with boatails in handloads and the rifle gained some accuracy over distance.

I have looked off and on over the years for an after market barrel in another chambering like 308 or 7mm-08. Turns out the gun might be too old (it was "old" when we bought it in 1973) and would require factory hand fitting of the extra barrel and extractor. Turns out NEF won't touch it either. Hmmm.....what to do....

After a short internet search I found a lot of info on AI chamberings. It looks like cartridges with tapered walls like the 30-30, 30-40 etc showed the most improvement by going AI.

Of course I could go the totally crazy route and send it to Gary Reeder and have it turned into a 30GNR...darned sexy looking and their pricing is not too bad.

There is a huge internet fan base for the NEF Handi rifles (offspring of my Topper) going AI, especially the 30-30 since they are a common pawn shop gun in some parts of the country. This appears to be a very popular piece of work to get done where ever .30 caliber lever guns are king.

Do any of you local Anchorage gunsmiths have a 30-30 AI chamber reamer? Or does anyone know of a gunsmith up here that has one?

We have a reamer for the 30-30AI, ought to be a killer chambering for a Topper. I don't think it would be very expensive but I don't handle pricing so you might have to give us a call or swing by the shop. Shouldn't take long and you'll be ready to launch some spitzers at hertofore unheard of speeds, for a 30-30 that is.

On a side note you are correct in that the sharply tapered cartridges gain the most by going AI and I believe that the 30-30 was one of P.O's favorites, at least I think I remember that from his book.

Cool. Saves me the hassle of shipping to the States or renting a reamer and messing up a great little gun on my own.

You're going to like it. If the bore is in decent shape, be sure to try heavy cast bullets. The extra capacity lets you use some slower powders which do very good things for accuracy. Long ago (and a land far away) I had a Winchester High Wall that PO himself built. It was so accurate with heavy cast bullets that I actually used them in a few benchrest matches. And won! It certainly wouldn't cut the mustard in matches 40 years later, but at the time it made several guys switch from 22 caliber to 30 caliber in their bench guns, especially for windy days.

How do you set the barrel back for proper Ackley headspace in a Topper?

You don't the AI version has the taper blown out and the shoulder blown forward. So the chamber should clean up unless it is seriously out of round or something.

How about posting the pricing when you get it sorted out. I have a Stevens / Savage top break Mdl 219 in .30-30 I'd consider getting rechambered also. It should be fun in the improved version with cast bullets; gun is nearly new mechanically but picked up some exterior rust over the years before I got it to ruin its collector's value (if it ever had any!)

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    We have a reamer for the 30-30AI, ought to be a killer chambering for a Topper. I don't think it would be very expensive but I don't handle pricing so you might have to give us a call or swing by the shop. Shouldn't take long and you'll be ready to launch some spitzers at hertofore unheard of speeds, for a 30-30 that is.

On a side note you are correct in that the sharply tapered cartridges gain the most by going AI and I believe that the 30-30 was one of P.O's favorites, at least I think I remember that from his book.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    How do you set the barrel back for proper Ackley headspace in a Topper?
    From the dozens of posts I have read on this issue is that the rimmed cartridges headspace on the rim and not on the shoulder. The only issue would be if someone reams too far and cuts into the rim recess, or if the gun was junk to start with and the rim recess was cut too far when originally made. There also might be an issue with the ejector on some older NEF rifles holding the case rim out of the recess and against the back of the reciever. Too hot of loads and you will be separating the case where it sticks out of the chamber.

There are some really good posts on the 30-30 AI on several other lever-gun forums. One of the smiths wrote a very detailed post on the head spacing issues with rimmed cartridges, crush fitting for AI conversions,etc.

This post about 3/4 of the way down as a rundown of the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    How about posting the pricing when you get it sorted out.
    I recommend calling WWG and getting an official estimate for your rifle. their price will vary due to the amount of work they need to do prep the rifle before milling.

All I will say is that what I was quoted over the phone was not what I paid when picking up the gun. Its a good day when you walk out of a gun shop with money still in your pocket.

Now I need to clean up the bench and dig the presses out of storage and start to play with my "new" rifle.

I am not familiar with the gunsmithing required to AI a 30-30 chambering in th Topper but am quite familiar with the 30-30 AI. I've had a few done and there is a big improvement in velocity with the 30-30 case. One word of caution though is that the 30-30 case is not designed for 308 Winchester pressures. So even the capacity is close to the 308, 308 velocities cannot be achieved. It is a good cartridge in an accurate rifle and when spitzers are used give a significant advantage over the standard cartridge. I had a Remington 788 rifle in 30-30 and AI'd it and used it for several years until a friend took a liking to it. In guns other than levers, the spitzers are a long range benefit. I did use .308" bullets in the 30-30 rather than the .307" generally used in the lever guns.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Tvfinak: If you get tired of that Savage 219, let me know. I have a Savage 220 but it's in 410 and I haven't been able to find a spare barrel for it. If anyone has a spare rifle barrel for the 220 in any caliber I'm very interested.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    Tvfinak: If you get tired of that Savage 219, let me know.
    Me too. I've been looking for a SS, 30-30. I found one an H&R,at a GunShow, but it broke on me and is being repaired.

I think I druther have a Savage.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.