Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Elmer Keith and hunting

Default Elmer Keith and hunting

I have been one of the lucky ones to read msot of his books and he talks about shooting caribou 600 yards out with the then new 41 mag. What would the public do today if someone posted a story about accurately popping caribou 600 yards and killing them. So what brings this up with out hi jacking the other post people start spouting how un ethical it is to shoot animals 500, 600 or even 1,000 yds out. But here we have the famed Elmer Keith doing it with a pistol. In his book he tells of the time someone called him out and said he was lying and could not shoot that far, so he invited this individual out to his home in Idaho took him out into his back yard and took his 44 mag and started shooting at a metal plate 600 yds out and was hitting it everytime. So Elmer was very capapble of doing this. So with that if you practice and know your limits fire away. Go watch some of PSE clips on you tube and see how far guys are shooting deer with the X-force there is one on there at 100 plus yards. I have shot with some the PSE guys at archery shoots in Arizona and wow those boys can shoot and they have the equipement to do it. All it takes is lots of practice and I mean lots of it. Understandable majority of folks up here including me will never be able to practice 500 to 1,000yds due to there being no ranges that are accessable to the public. One last note I bet you, no one on here would tell Good ol Elmer Kieth what he was doing was unethical or wrong heck you all would be begging for his autograph.

Never heard of him. Wouldn't hunt with him. And certainly wouldn't ask for his autograph.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    Never heard of him. Wouldn't hunt with him. And certainly wouldn't ask for his autograph.
    thats nice, considering he died in the late 70's early 80's cant remember the specifics.

It would be good to familiarize yourself with old Elmer. He was afterall the father of the .44 Mag. He even had a hand in developing the .338 Win. Mag.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

WOW.
    Never heard of elmer keith? Now I see what kind of rif-raf surfs this forum.

Great post 323. I'm starting to think most of the guys posting on here belong in the gardening section.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    It would be good to familiarize yourself with old Elmer. He was afterall the father of the .44 Mag. He even had a hand in developing the .338 Win. Mag.
    That's nice. Personally, I'm not a big fan of magnums, pistol or rifle.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    WOW.
    Never heard of elmer keith? Now I see what kind of rif-raf surfs this forum.

Great post 323. I'm starting to think most of the guys posting on here belong in the gardening section.
    I didn't realize you had to idolize certain people to be a hunter. I do like to garden too tho.
    - Jef Mallett

That's nice. Personally, I'm not a big fan of magnums, pistol or rifle.
    Even if you are not a fan of magnums ol Keith is still a good read. Still shocked you have never heard of him before.

Have you heard of Jack O'Connor?

ever heard of P.O.Ackley?

I know the pilot that was flying Elmer that day and he says Elmer really did do that.....this pilot is a hell of a shot himself and knows of which he speaks.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    ever heard of P.O.Ackley?
    Or John Moses Browning?
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Jeff Cooper?

Oliver Winchester?

Natty Bumppo?
    - Jef Mallett

A. J. Forsyth

Now how could you be a real hunter and not know who A J Forsyth is or was?
    - Jef Mallett

Okay twodux.... I honestly think your full of it when you say you havent heard of Elmer keith, or have you been hiding away in an igloo your whole life?

I've never heard of him either, then again I've never really been interested in Ammo (father of the 44 mag, right?). Anyone care to share what he is "famous" for?

Here is what wiki says.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elmer_Keith

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Ding ding ding the light goes off. This explains alot now I know why folks act the way the do on here half of you have never heard of Elmer Keith all of you should turn in your man cards now.

Why? He was a guy with a gun and a typewriter. Just like many other guys with guns and typewriters...some were better than others.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Being a fairly old fart, I had the privilege of reading the stories, books, articles of many great & sadly deceased gun writers such as Keith, Capstick, and the king of all (IMO) Jack O'Connor. I highly recommend young hunters/shooters look their stuff up & read it.

Keith apparently was a rough cob, barely high school educated, and grew up & lived in tough times in probably the most untamed territory of the era, other than Alaska. Despite many disadvantages and seemingly always taken advantage of when it came to money,, he was an American success story and extremely influential in the world we hunters love. He was a proponent of big calibers and believed that if you were going to shoot something, put as big of hole in it as possible. We as hunters & shooters owe him a debt of gratitude.

With that said, I learned to take much of his writings with a grain of salt. I suspect he had the people skills of a grizzly with a toothache. Although I admire his accomplishments, I don't think I would have enjoyed sharing a campfire with him.

According to him he repeatedly ran into crooked LEOs, COs, and military officers of various stripes, was always in the right, and often wrote of challenging them to gunfights and/or backing them off at gunpoint. Some of the shooting he claimed to have done would have been difficult with the precision rifles made today, let alone open sighted handguns which he often used.

He also claimed responsibility for the creation of the 44 Mag, the Winchester Model 70, and a good percentage of the various calibers we use today. There is little doubt he was at least instrumental in the 44 Mag but how muchof the other stuff he took credit for seems to be open to some debate...

Still he was one of a kind and God broke the mold after he made him...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast