Thread: Anyone ever send a scope back to Pentax for repair?

Default Anyone ever send a scope back to Pentax for repair?

Along the lines of a very similar current thread - has anyone ever sent a scope back to Pentax for repair? I have a 3x9 Lightseeker? made in the USA that has the threads on the eyepiece stripped out somehow.

It is obviously a high quality scope - looks very similar to a Burris. Unfortuantley the Pentax is no so obvious as to their repair policies and I'm not even sure of where to send it back for service.

Can anyone help me out on this one?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Here you go.

tvfinak,

I just went through this with Pentax binoculars. Pentax has what they call a "worry free lifetime warranty". Pentax optics has a contract company do warranty repairs.

Here is some contact info for where I sent mine for repair. I was quick and easy and they did a great job. All it cost me was one way shipping.

C.R.I.S Camera Services. (CRISCAM.COM)
    250 North 54th Street
    Chandler, AZ 85226
    (480)-940-1103

I hope this helps you out.

Many thanks!

I gave them a call and they siad they did all the Pentax optical repairs - it wasn't real clear on their web site exactly what "sport optics" products were covered.

I'll get it off this week and post the results when I get it back. i will be interesting to compare their service to Leupold and the others.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    tvfinak,

I just went through this with Pentax binoculars. Pentax has what they call a "worry free lifetime warranty". Pentax optics has a contract company do warranty repairs.

Here is some contact info for where I sent mine for repair. I was quick and easy and they did a great job. All it cost me was one way shipping.

250 North 54th Street
    Chandler, AZ 85226
    (480)-940-1103

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

For Pentax repair, anything that isn't a camera is a sport optic. I had an absolutely horrible experience with Pentax's so-called "worry free warranty" on a spotting scope that I sent in this past summer. So bad that I will never buy another Pentax product again.

Long story short; After waiting for 2 months of not receiving any word or my spotting scope, it took me 2 weeks of he-said she-said between CRIS and Pentax to figure out that they weren't going to have it fixed in time for my upcoming hunt. So Pentax just sent me a new spotting scope. But, it was too little too late. I am very unhappy with the service that I received after spending the extra $ in part because of the good warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    It is obviously a high quality scope - looks very similar to a Burris. Unfortuantley the Pentax is no so obvious as to their repair policies and I'm not even sure of where to send it back for service.
    Sounds like an oxymoron to me. There is nothing good about Pentax scopes and the same can be said for their warranty dept., or lackthereof. Good luck and let us know what happens, if anything at all.

I'll certainly post what happens - hopefully postive but we'll see. The Pentax scopes don't bring much money on the used market - even the American made one like I sent in recently - there must be a reason I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Sounds like an oxymoron to me. There is nothing good about Pentax scopes and the same can be said for their warranty dept., or lackthereof. Good luck and let us know what happens, if anything at all.

I sent back a lightseeker, the cross hairs broke loose and just started floating around. They fix it, in fact they gave me a new one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good luck! I sent a 3X9X40 lightseeker back, it leeked! After about 2 months they sent me a refurbished one that leeked......I sold it for $50.00

Default Still no word or scope...

Got my Leupold scopes back but still no word or scope from our friends at Pentax.

I'll post something when there is something to report or every 2-3 weeks just to keep the subject alive.

hap

A friend broke the tube loose inside his Pentax scope while shooting at a bear with me on Kodiak. He sent it in with the reticle at 45 degrees from vertical. It came back just like he sent it with a note they found nothing wrong with it! He sent it a second time and it came back exactly the same with the same note! Third time he sent it he told them to stuff it. The first two trips took over a month each.

Default Pentax service - or lack of it!

Still waiting for my Pentax scope to be repaired and returned.

I sent it back in December so maybe I am impatient?

Probably need to give them a call - I sure haven't heard from them.

I will certainly remember this expereince when it comes time to buy another scope!

Got my Leupold scopes back but still no word or scope from our friends at Pentax.

I'll post something when there is something to report or every 2-3 weeks just to keep the subject alive.

Pentax is junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Pentax is junk.
    Matt,

You could say the same thing about just about any optic company. Granted some of the pentax models are pretty poor. But their higher end stuff is pretty darn good.

That would be kinda like buying a Leupold Sequioa spotter and saying it that Leuopold is a joke. Just don't right off the brand as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Matt,

You could say the same thing about just about any optic company. Granted some of the pentax models are pretty poor. But their higher end stuff is pretty darn good.

That would be kinda like buying a Leupold Sequioa spotter and saying it that Leuopold is a joke. Just don't right off the brand as a whole.

Maybe he should have said that Pentax customer service is junk and have been more accurate with his statement.

For what it is worth, I agree about the Leupold Sequioa spotting scope. It must have been Leupold's Edsel.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Leupold's spotter might be junk, but at least Leupold will stil take care of you and in a real-life timely matter. Plus, made in the u.s.a.

I have excellent service out of my Pentex riflescopes, but have had to send back a couple of pair of binos for various repairs. I had no problem getting things done and time frame was not horrible.

Default Update

Talked to the service center last week and Pentax directly this morning. They can't fixthe old scope and so they are going to give me a new one apparently.

Waiting now for some information on when the new one will be shipped. They promised that they would expedite a replacement.

I'll post an update when I hear more.

My new scope came in today!

After 3 months almost to the day since I sent it off I the UPS man delivered a new Pentax 3x9 Penta-Plex Lightseeker-XL scope.

Scope looks pretty bright and decent overall. It was made in the good old U.S.A. - probably by Burris like the old one appeared to be.

So - based on what I paid for the old scope I'm quite happy. Pentax did come through but it did take a while and several phone calls.

If I was buying new retail today - I'd still go for Leupold.

In any event- THANKS Pentax!

Talked to the service center last week and Pentax directly this morning. They can't fixthe old scope and so they are going to give me a new one apparently.

Waiting now for some information on when the new one will be shipped. They promised that they would expedite a replacement.

I'll post an update when I hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post
    tvfinak,

250 North 54th Street
    Chandler, AZ 85226
    (480)-940-1103

tv,

I knew they would take care of you, it would just be a matter of time.

When I sent mine in, I included a note explaining that I had to have a quick turn around because my Binoc's were needed on an upcoming hunt. They fixed them and sent them right back. I think it was only a 12-14 day turn around and they were able to meet my deadline.

Glad this worked out for you. Good luck with the new scope.

Default Sports Cards, Baseball Cards, and Football Cards

The Exclusive trading card partner of Major League Baseball, is celebrating Mother's Day a little bit early this year. Beginning yesterday, sports cards are opened up for collectors to "unlock" their redemption cards, which are randomly inserted (1:6 packs) in 2010 football and baseball cards, for a chance at reclaiming one of 38,000 different cards their mother may have tossed in the trash. Now, I've been a die-hard collector since I was a kid (think early 1980s), so my mother never had a chance to discard my cards, so to speak. Nope, the valuable ones always went from wax pack to plastic, not unlike the kids today. But, my father's collection on the other hand, found its way into a Hefty bag and may have been recycled as part of your newspaper or coffee cup at some point over the past 40 years. Thanks to baseball cards and their Million Card Giveaway, collectors now have the chance at reclaiming that coveted 1952 Mickey Mantle or 1955 Roberto Clemente rookie card or 1968 Nolan Ryan rookie card or 2001 Albert Pujols rookie card...well, you catch my drift. And these aren't reprints and these are good. The concept is simple—register online at baseball cards, and then enter in a code that can be found on the back of a baseball cards Million Card Giveaway redemption card. What's really cool about this Web site is that not only do you get to own the card in a virtual portfolio, which gives you the option of viewing a high-resolution image of both the front and the back your card, but you can trade with other owners in virtual reality. And, at any time, beginning in March, you can request that baseball cards deliver any or all of the cards in your portfolio directly to your doorstep for a small shipping fee, which I am not privy to at the moment. To kick-off the campaign, and to act as Spokesperson for the promotion, baseball cards has enlisted Cal Ripken Jr. who is currently hitting the talk show circuit with one thing on his mind—baseball cards. Not a bad hype-man. Since 2010 baseball cards was released last month, I have collected roughly 45 redemption cards and had a ball unlocking the cards last night. The best card I pulled was a 1956 Jim Piersall, but also was lucky enough to score two 1953 commons, a 1954 common, and a 1974 Juan Marichal. I was even offered a trade today for my Piersall card—a 1970 Ted Williams, when he was the manager of the Washington Senators. I politely passed on that offer. So, if you're at your local hobby shop, Wal-Mart, or Target, head down to the card aisle and pick up a few packs of 2010 baseball cards baseball and hopefully you'll be lucky enough to pull a redemption card or two. Then let me know which original baseball cards card you pulled. It might go a long way toward mending a few fences with your mother. Oh, and if your redemption happens to unlock a nice card, perhaps we can trade.