Thread: Training a shepherd/lab/husky mix

Default Training a shepherd/lab/husky mix

Me and my wife just adopted a year and half old shepherd/lab/husky female. I have never trained a dog to flush birds, and I was wondering about the feasibility of training her. I know those aren't the normal bird dog breeds and I am starting off late, but she seems pretty intelligent. Figured I would try to get the most bang for my buck out of her.

I would start with making sure that she knows all her basic commands. Sit, heal, come, and stay. Next try doing some basic retreives. Then get some bird scent put it on a rag or bird wing and drag a scent trail to see if she will follow it. You have to make it fun. If you have friends that have hunting dogs as them if you can bring your dog to one of their training classes. Dog learn quicker from other dogs than you can teach them your self. I had a pit bull that used to love to pheaseant hunt. I got him started by taking him out with my springer and he caught on real quick.

Thanks DD. She has most of the basic commands down, and we are working on heel. Though it wasn't a good sign when she completely ignored a willow ptarmigan hangin out on the side of the road this morning.

She does not relate to the bird. Sportsmans mall sell some grouse sent and I think some bird wings. Get her interested in retrieving and go from there. Several years back I had a Chessie that only wanted to hunt by sight so one winter I took her outside when the snow as about 2 feet deep and threw a ball into it. After about a minute she gave up after not finding it. So I applied some grouse scent and tried it again and she still would not bring it back. I was at a lost my dog had no nose for hunting. I went back into the house and got a hot dog and cut into little pieces. I gave her 1 small piece and then threw them 1 at time out into the snow and she found every one. I next tried throwing a bunch at once and she found them all. At last threw the scent ball and she brought back to me and I gave her a piece of hot dog. I guess the dog figured that if she was going to look for something in the snow it had better be worth her time.