Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooldridge 20 foot Alaskan II

Default Wooldridge 20 foot Alaskan II

Finally gave up the cash and ordered one of these gems from a lower 48 dealer. It's main purpose will be running up the Yukon for moose and chasing salmon. It will never be used in the salt. It was ordered with dual wipers and the 36 inch storage boxes (without seats), swim step, no feedback steering, 5 cleats, guide on's and slick bunks, transducer bracket, bow rails, tilt steering and 12 way locking swivel seats.
    I decided to leave it topless for the time being as I plan on having Busters make the top exactly how we want it. He made one for me on a boat we owned previously and I was highly impressed. Silver Streak also made me seats in the past and I plan on using the boat for awhile first and then will have them make some for the rear boxes if we decide we need them.
    It is scheduled to be built in August at which time I will either ship it up or haul it back myself. This time next year we will add the motor and at this point we are leaning towards the Yamaha 150 jet (4 stroke).
    The concept I was trying to follow when putting this boat together was to keep it reasonably lightweight with enough power to carry 2 adults and gear for the Yukon trip or 3-4 adults for short day fishing trips. I decided long ago if we ever got into jet boating we would something fast enough to get us there yet light enough to travel over shallow water with good power. Lightweight helps again when we will have to pull it off a gravel bar ourselves!
    Glen at Wooldridge was very helpful and informed me the XL Yamaha has the 5 inch spacer removed when the jet is installed. For running the Yukon I can reinstall the spacer and reattach the prop unit without having to remount the motor. (Thanks Eggy for allowing me to see the light)!
    So if I hound you jet guys for a lot of information over the next year be patient
    If anyone here has any suggestions on something we should add to the boat before it will be built I would appreciate input. I did think about having the dual headlights installed in the bow but am unsure at this point. Kinda thought it might be a better idea to have Silver Streak fabricate a "light bar" to hold a couple on top of the canvas.
    Last edited by Snowwolfe; 02-19-2007 at 20:35.
    Tennessee

Cool XTRA Plus

Hey Snowwolfe,

Congratulations! I own a 1993 Xtra plus and I am very happy with it. It keeps taking a beating and keeps going! Forget the lights in the bow. Have a light bar built to go over your canopy and then you can mount your lights, antennas, Horn ext.

I am on my second engine. My originally came with an Evinrude 200 (Carb) which finally gave up about 2 years ago. I replaced it with the Evinrude 250 fuel injection. I actually get better fuel economy with the 250 than I did with the 200. The only problem I have had with mine is the welds on the gas tank and front window mounts cracking. Glen would cover the cost once I gave him the receipt.

When I had the floor up, I had four plate welded in the back of the boat, which I place seat receptacles in. I can place 4 seats in the back for some bottom fishing or waiting for that big King to strike. Of course adding the extra seats don't mean extra people. I have 4 rod holders mounted on the rail.

Its a great boat and not too heavy (like the thunder jets) to winch off the river rocks when I get a little stupid and run out of water! You'll find out what I mean!

Have fun, be Safe!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Just curious...

did you save some $$ buying it through a lower 48 dealer; any other reasons for not going with the local dealer?
    When we priced out our boat the Seattle price was the same as the AK price. WB did not undercut their dealers. Has anything changed?
    SeaULater

Default Wooldridge

I bought mine here as the price was not that much different. I had my boat outside for a few years and I was running rivers in Missouri! It was a blast as no one have ever see a boat like mine! I actually had a good olí boy come up to me and ask me if I was OK? I said yes, why? He thought I had snapped off the lower unit on my engine! Jets are seen more now. In fact Glen has allowed a company in Alabama to make Wooldridge boats.

The only thing I wish I had is trailer brakes.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

When I asked for a price from the local dealer I told him I wanted the price based upon me picking it up at the factory. The price quoted me was full MSRP retail. Three days later I called the dealer back and chatted with him again trying to dicker a little on the price and they would not budge an inch. They also had terms which I thought were unreasonable. They wanted 20% down to order the boat and payment in full as soon as the boat was built reguardless of when I picked it up. Who knows, perhaps the dealer thought I was not serious? We did not want the boat till August.
    I am not here to dealer bash and I respect their opinion to charge what they wanted but I work pretty hard for my money and wanted to shop around. I would of been happy to keep our money in Alaska but not at the expense of me spending more of it.
    The dealer in the lower 48 gave me what I thought was a very nice discount off the price and better terms. I did not order the boat directly from the factory. I am sure he understood I would not pay full MSRP retail and was prepared not to order the boat if that was the case. Plus he was very helpful and spent a good deal of time with me answering all my questions and steering me towards setting up the boat properly. I still have to go to Washington to pick up the boat or have it shipped up here. I am sure not wanting the boat till August helped in the price department as it helped the dealer add a sale late in the summer months.
    If the local dealer is competitive when it comes time to purchase the motor and jet pump then he will get my business. If not, it is easy to have one shipped up here.
    Either way, I am glad to join the Wooldridge club. They have a great following and everyone speaks highly of them.

AKBassking, where did you get your lightbar built?
    Last edited by Snowwolfe; 02-19-2007 at 23:59.
    Tennessee

Snowwolfe, Understand where you are coming from and thanks for the heads up. Sounds like you will have a nice boat.
    SeaULater

My only comment would be to get the lowest ratio steering helm you can get. I love my 270 degree lock to lock, and have gotten very used to it. I tried to drive my buddies boat with 4 turns lock to lock up a narrow curvy channel and I couldn't turn that wheel fast enough. A suicide knob may have helped.

Congrats on the new boat!

Cheers

Welcome I couldn't afford a new wooldridge but good a used one last year 24 classic with 460 in it I love it. Was only ablt to get it out four times last year. So needless to say I cant wait for summer to get here to run it again.

Farmer Grant,
    Good tip. I will ask my dealer what the steering ratio is and if there are options.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up Something else...

A friend of mine had a nice welded aluminum river boat and installed an ATV style winch in the bow. I would think a 3000# ATV winch mounted securely in the bow along with a small block/tackle would be a lifesaver for those "Ooops" moments and wouldn't add much weight at all. Maybe one front and rear or at least have mounting plates welded in for future use.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Great idea Mud, there is a lot for me to learn and many things to buy. Been thinking of a chainsaw style winch or maybe a really good come-a-long as well.
    So many accessories and so little money! This is why I ordered the boat for August. It gives me a year to buy all the crap I want for it.
    Tennessee

Cool Compeau's if Fairbanks put's them on their boats...

Here's a pic of a Sport Jon from Compeau's up in Fairbanks. Looks like a nice set up and should go in cleanly in an Alaskan II because of the shape of the bow. Heck, Glen may even out it in while he's building it if you ask him to!! They also use trailer tongue jacks for jacking when they're stuck and they offer a removable wheel kit to make they whole process easier. All great ideas that I wish I had known about when Iordered my boat. For a boat that's primarily going to be used in rivers, I wouldn't hesitate. check out their website for cool river boat ideas...www.compeaus.com/sj_gallery.html

Congrats on the new boat!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What is the advantage of using the trailer jack? You still have to move the boat after you lift it.
    Unfortunately I will not be able to launch my boat this summer. We are buying the boat this year and then adding the motor spring of 2008. So at least I have lots of time to drool over the accessories!
    Tennessee

I got it now! You jack up the boat and add wheels to get the boat off the ground and back into the river. Cool idea for sure.
    Tennessee

Default local builder

i had my boat made by a buddy here in anchorage and he built a couple more of mine and had built 117 in the late 80's and early 90's. from designing to completion of my boat, actually in the water was about 7 months. he had it welded up in about 2.5 months. I was there every night checking on the progress and putting my two cents in. After all said and done just the hull with bow rails was $11,300 for a 22' all aluminum boat. Pics on some other threads. Then i got the boat in January, let it sit until mid february and then started the our work. We got the boat plain jane. My dad and i did the decks and foam first then windows and then took in for a custom soft top. Paint job and then all the custom features. Motors and electronics i did my self. that is where buying local pays off. If you have ?'s or concerns they help you out. I did twins so there are some things you have to pay attention to there. but back to the price. Sounds cheap. But after all our work, free labor. Plus i didn't skimp on anything. All led lights and waterproof connectors on everything. Kinda cool doing all the wiring, you know where everything is how it was ran. Set up dual batteries and breaker panel with another 80 amp circuit breaker to kill just to make sure electronics don't drain the batteries after being parked. Going of the 4th season and knock on wood, not problems with anything. Okay back the price. I have about if not over $40,000 invested after buying every nut and bolt, connector, trailer, fishing poles, shrimp pots, anything that hit the deck of that boat is in the price. I mean $13000 just in motors. But i had the cash and was headed for a divorce, so you could say, she didn't get one cent. I went over board on most stuff and spent way to much brain power but it all paid off. I just wish i spent the extra money for deeper v. at the time he said only $5000 more. but then different motors and such, would have been to rich for my blood. the whole process started in mid November 2003 and the boat was in the water May 15th on Kenai lake in 2004. Great winter project so you are thinking in the right direction already. Good luck and if you have ?'s at all just ask. Have 200 photos of it being built too. i was going to do the yukon last fall but got scared. heard of people getting froze in and leaving the boat till could barge or leave until spring. I have props and heard it is doable. Better gas mileage that way but where you plan on going maybe you will need a jet. is that permit area or harvest? Why do you want to go so far? before you hit tanana you can hunt from the high way to there. any bull. But sometime i will apply for another permit and get it planned again. again good luck.

Default Wooldridge AK II

Snowwolfe, make sure when you get your jet it has the wings welded on the foot. You may have to get Wooldrdige to weld some on a shoe for you. They install them on the jets at the shop before they are shipped out. This makes a big difference in how the boat performs.

The headlights in the bow are the only way to go I have several friends that use them on the inboard WB that run the channel between lake Susitna and Lake Louise in the fall so they can run on step through on the way to their cabins. They only shine on the water in front of the boat so you don't just get both sides of the river lit up with the river in front of you left dark.Try looking on the River Jet forum last year there was a good discussion on them with lots of input from Wooldridge owners.

I already sent Glen an email concerning the fins on the jets and am waiting to hear back from him for a price. The gentleman whom I ordered the boat from also suggested the same thing. I have lots of time to do this as I will most likely not be purchasing the motor/jet untill this time next year.

Do you really think it is a better idea to have the lights installed in the bow install of having a light bar installed on top of the canvas?
    Tennessee

The light bar on top of the canvas will give you reflected light off the bow which can impair your night vision. Mounted all the way up front will keep the bow and windshield dark which makes it easier to see.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks for the feedback. I added the headlights to the option list.
    Tennessee

I have run with and without the wings. The wings are the best way to go. When you have a heavy load such as a moose or a couple of Bou the wings keep your jet from cavatating (sp) when you are making sharp turn such as in a river.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast