Thread: Any Trad Archers here?

Default Any Trad Archers here?

Het, NDT from ND here. haven't poted on the AK Forums since 07' but have been lurking. I figure I now may never get to move to the Last Frontier, but maybe I can live it vicariously through you lucky residents who post here...

Any Tradition archers/bowhunters here? I have my share of compounds but severl yeats ago age related near vision issues (can't see things at arms length, like sight pins) forced me to go Trad. To be honest, I love it and at have come to the conclusion a recurve or longbow is a better hunting weapon than the more complex modern compound. Just MO...

My primary shooter is a gorgeous zebra/shed riser & red elm limbed 53#28" LH 62" TD Hunter II by Chek Mate. THis is a smooth sweet shooter which has accounted for a number of deer. At 20 yards it zips a Magnus headed 500 grain CXTH clean through a deer and hardly slowed down.

My other recurves are another 62" HII, a couple Kotas (one a Bocote Prairie Swift that I had Tim custom build for me) a 58" Chiron Volcano (really nice bow considering the price tag) and an old 52" Redwing Hunter I use for bowfishing.

All my bows except for the Swift are set up with T-300 rests which allow me to use vanes rather than feathers if weather conditions favor them.

Bet you Trad bows up there run into some interesting issues...

Yes, I shoot a Daala. I have an outdoor walk around course on my property with about a dozen targets on it, that does't get much use when the temps get real low, but keeps me pretty well tuned up most of the time. Bear hunting is good where I live, took one with the bow last year and hope to add to that next year. This year was a bust for hunting for me, my hunting karma wasn't lined up right or sometning, lol.

I'm a traditional archer. Shoot a 55 lb. Great Plains recurve. I love it, but I wish I had a 60 lb. recurve or longbow. That is what I would like to buy next. I also have a couple Osage Orange logs that I shipped up here from Oklahoma that I cut down on my wife's Grandpa's farm. One of these days when I get some free time (like that is ever gonna happen), I am going to try to make a bow.

I'm sort of in transition. I grew up shooting compounds and have harvested game with them. But have now hung up the compound and am trying to become proficient enough with traditional equipment so that I can take my longbows hunting. I've been making longbows off and on for almost 10 years, even while still hunting with a compound. But now it's time to dedicate myself to traditional archery.

Jeff

Great to meet you guys. Man, I wrote that first post like I was half awake, which I was....

Also have a 60" 55#@28" Hoyt Dorado. Really a nice shooting zippy bow, but not as smooth as the Chek Mates or the Kotas. The Dorado would be a good choice for Alaska. Tough as nails & low maintainence. I looked real hard at the Dalaa when I was looking for an alum riser recurve but talked myself out of it because of the price tag. I never talked to a guy who owned a Dalaa who didn't love it, though.

Shearej, just keep shooting, it will come. Get the DVDs Masters Of The Barebow I & II. Took me a couple years to figure out the style & form that worked for me, but once I did it took. I'm utterly confident when I draw on a deer inside of 25 yards (as far as I'll shoot with any type of bow anymore)...

I have my bow tag yet to to fill with a couple weeks left in the season. If I don't fill this year it will be the first time in the last 20 some odd years. I didn't see anything worth shooting during the rut in Nov. With a couple heavy snow falls last week & again last night, the deer that were hanging around my farmstead have moved to a cut cornfield a couple miles south, where they are yarded up. If the opportunity presents itself I would now probably take a doe or one of the little yearling bucks that have been around to put a bit more meat in the freezer. It's looking to be a long winter and I love deer sticks.