Thread: Eclipse and moon phase fishing/hunting

Default Eclipse and moon phase fishing/hunting

For those of you who hunt/fish by moon phase charts, is there anything about an eclipse during the moon that changes its effects on fish and game? Just asking, cause a great eclipse is going on right now!

My calander sayz I gotta cut the Still beating Heart otta one of my captives before it'll come back..........

Keep an eye on that Moon, I'll get 'er back ina cut a two............
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    My calander sayz I gotta cut the Still beating Heart otta one of my captives before it'll come back..........

Gosh' O Fried Cakes. THAT is GRUESOME.

You must be gittin BUSHY.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

Tell me it had 4 legs!

Well, little did I know it, but the Sun needed coaxing back as well, being Equinox as it is, Burned up the reserves, Gotta hunt some more for next year......

Ok, the costume is funny looking, but it beats blaze orange........
    Were near done, seeing as the Calander ends about this time in two years........for good.......anyone know whos printing up current Long Count Calanders?? I need one for 2013......

Welll, it dont matter, everyday the weather is good, it is a Good day to Hunt.

There has to be a wicked Tide somewhere with all this alignment.......someones Pole is getting bent.....

Soltice, Stranger, not equinox. Literally means the sun stops. In this case the light directly hitting earth will stop going south and head back north. Will happen at 1438 today. Dark days are over!

Oh, and thanks for bringing the moon back. I hope you don't need a lawyer.

I saw it. It was pretty cool. Not sure if a lunar eclipse has any effect on game, but a full moon definitely does IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I saw it. It was pretty cool. Not sure if a lunar eclipse has any effect on game, but a full moon definitely does IMO.
    How so? In other words, what effect?

Is the hunting better? or worse?

Does it make game more active? Cautious? Confident?

When I was a kid, we usta use the Almanac to tell us when the fishing was best, (based on the sign of the moon.) and thought it worked. At least it gave us more confidence.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Well, after getting onto 4 decades of hunting, I think there is something to moon/sun phases affecting game activity (I don't fish to speak of so I don't have an opinion on that). A number of years ago I bought a watch (actually two, one stays strapped to my blind bag full time) by Casio called a Hunting Timer. In addition to the usual functions it keeps track of & calculates the 4 peak periods of game activity based on the four key positions of both the moon & sun in a 24 hour period. It can calculate these periods year in advance, kind of a useful feature for out of state hunting trip planning. It has proven to be eerily accurate.

Down here a full moon means critters move & seek food actively. Geese will feed in a field all night during the full moon and may not come off their roosts at all next day, thereby scewing up field hunting. Deer may not move at all the following day, too.

Were I to guess I would opine a full eclipse of the moon might be like a fully waned moon, and critter active would be at a low ebb. I can advise there was very little game movement around my place overnight when the eclipe happened a couple evening back...

Up this way , we have less than 4 hours of light , total, if you include dusk and dawn.

Now were gaining 8 minutes a day, thanks to those who were all Heart and gave it their everything.........

I would hope that a full Moon would Fatten Caribou.

I'm thinking that it helps somehow, though, seems this guide got his client the bag limit.

Dont know if they were Hunting or Fishing.........

(Solstice...yes, Solstice)

Here some information from the passed.http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...nting/6935.htm

My experience has been if there is clouds cover hiding the full moon there is no effect from the moon light.

My experience is that the full moon has a huge effect on deer activity. Not as much when it's cloudy but it still effects hunting success. The deer stay out all night and play then bed down for the day. Makes them a lot harder to find. Throw alittle snow on the ground to lighten things up and you could almost hunt at midnight during a full moon at times.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    How so? In other words, what effect?

Is the hunting better? or worse?

Does it make game more active? Cautious? Confident?

When I was a kid, we usta use the Almanac to tell us when the fishing was best, (based on the sign of the moon.) and thought it worked. At least it gave us more confidence.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    It has a different effect on different animals differently, but in general I think it changes their sleeping/eating patterns. I think when there is a full moon, animals tend to be more nocturnal and less crepuscular. With fishing it can change the tides and schools of fish will respond to the changes in the tides.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    It has a different effect on different animals differently, but in general I think it changes their sleeping/eating patterns. I think when there is a full moon, animals tend to be more nocturnal and less crepuscular. With fishing it can change the tides and schools of fish will respond to the changes in the tides.
    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.