Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Felt soles have to be gone by the 1st

Default Felt soles have to be gone by the 1st

Okay, so we knew this was coming a long time ago. Some of you have already got your new shoes. I have been putting it off until the last moment, because I was waiting and hoping that somebody, somewhere is going to design a new alternative to felt. So far I haven't been impressed with what is out there. Has anybody found a decent alternative to felt bottom shoes yet? If so, I am dying to find out what it is, because spring is just around the corner.

Default felt ban

Well since you are putting it off to the last minute I have good news for you. You still have another year. The ban doesn't start until 2012.
    Here is a small cut from the internet.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska, March 22, 2010 Trout Unlimited (TU) today applauded the Alaska Board of Fisheries for adopting a statewide phase out of felt sole wading products, effective Jan. 1, 2012. The move is aimed at guarding against the spread of aquatic invasive species.

I've found spikes and chains are each actually superior to felt for secure wading, especially when you add ice, mud, thick algae, or wet shoreline grass to the possibilities of your day.

I'll probably stick with whatever Simms makes, their boots fit me well and last. This year I picked up a pair of Streamtreads for a Fall caribou hunt along a river. I haven't been out on a slick-rocky stream in them yet, but will make do. In some previous threads, discussion has debated whether the new rules are warranted or not. I don't dwell on it. Besides, the felt bottoms, although they gripped slick rocks well, weren't perfect either, and could be difficult in the freezing weather of Fall steelhead fishing.

In the second link below, member flyingties liked the LL Bean rubber-soled boots too (post#19).

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=felt+soled
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=felt+soled

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've found spikes and chains are each actually superior to felt for secure wading, especially when you add ice, mud, thick algae, or wet shoreline grass to the possibilities of your day.
    Hey B. Bear, I thought we were talking about wading boots here??!! LOL
    I've decided to wait until the new Blizzak wading boots come out. That way I won't have to "chain-up" as often.

Not sure but the 2012 date refers to the rest of the state. I am thinking that south east which is leading the state on this reg has a Jan. 1 2011 deadline for "No Felt". Make sure to check the regs before you so southeast.

George

I've been wearing Simms Studded Aquastealth boots fro about 5 years now and they are far superior to felt/studded felt in every way.
    Especially if you do any kind of winter fishing. Felts tend to turn into uncomfortable platform shoes as snow and ice builds up on them.
    The studded Aquastealths grip like glue to even the slipperyest rocs too.

It's statewide Jan.1 2012
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    It's statewide Jan.1 2012
    Well that is good to know. For some reason I was thinking it was this January. Guess I just heard wrong.

It was this January for S.E. and then the rest of the state next January. To eliminate confusion, they did a blanket closure for the whole state in Jan. 2012
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

All felt is on BIG sale at Freddy's
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Trout Unlimited sucks 1st off, they whine because I keep my trout. 2nd how come they don't ban all the waterfowl that carry invasive species?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    ... how come they don't ban all the waterfowl that carry invasive species?
    Or the dogs, kids, polarfleece, fishing flies (yes, your fly box carries the same stuff as your felts), any porous fishing lure or float, braided fishing line, vest, hat, and any other gear that doesn't get washed routinely. Not to mention the thousands of recreational boats that traverse the Alcan every summer with a bilge full of "stuff" from down in Amerika. Felt sole boots are just a scapegoat.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Trout Unlimited sucks 1st off, they whine because I keep my trout. 2nd how come they don't ban all the waterfowl that carry invasive species?
    BTW, the ban only covers felt soles for fishing. Waterfowl hunters will still be allowed to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Or the dogs, kids, polarfleece, fishing flies (yes, your fly box carries the same stuff as your felts), any porous fishing lure or float, braided fishing line, vest, hat, and any other gear that doesn't get washed routinely. Not to mention the thousands of recreational boats that traverse the Alcan every summer with a bilge full of "stuff" from down in Amerika. Felt sole boots are just a scapegoat.
    And just when I was feeling all warm & tingly about our state leading the way.... You guys start getting all logical & stuff. I just don't feel as warm now & it's all your fault!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Although it may not be anything official, I have heard commercials advocating for rinsing off of your gear for just this reason. I guess I don't recall them mentioning to hose off the dog or the kids, but definitely the gear, including tackle and boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Grits Hardway View Post
    Hey B. Bear, I thought we were talking about wading boots here??!! LOL
    I've decided to wait until the new Blizzak wading boots come out. That way I won't have to "chain-up" as often.
    Why, what's so special about the Blizzak wading boots? I've never heard of them. Are they studded also?

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I've been wearing Simms Studded Aquastealth boots fro about 5 years now and they are far superior to felt/studded felt in every way.
    Especially if you do any kind of winter fishing. Felts tend to turn into uncomfortable platform shoes as snow and ice builds up on them.
    The studded Aquastealths grip like glue to even the slipperyest rocs too.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check em out.

Simms no longer offers Aquastealth sole, they are strictly using the Vibram Stream Tread sole. I wore the Aquastealth soles for the last eight years and loved them as well, switched to the Stream Tread this summer and like them even more. All the Stream Tread soles are pre drilled for studs, so it is easy to install and remove studs.

I believe that you can get the Aquastealth soles (510 rubber) from 5th Ave. Boot Repair for any existing boot if they are still in good shape.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Quote Originally Posted by akgloomis View Post
    Simms no longer offers Aquastealth sole, they are strictly using the Vibram Stream Tread sole. I wore the Aquastealth soles for the last eight years and loved them as well, switched to the Stream Tread this summer and like them even more. All the Stream Tread soles are pre drilled for studs, so it is easy to install and remove studs.

I believe that you can get the Aquastealth soles (510 rubber) from 5th Ave. Boot Repair for any existing boot if they are still in good shape.
    Thanks for the recommendation akgloomis. I will check them out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast