Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Havalon

Default Havalon

Who sells The Havalon Piranta-EDGE knives in the anchorage area

I saw them somewhere in town, maybe Mt View sports or Boondocks?

Barney's have them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter83 View Post
    Who sells The Havalon Piranta-EDGE knives in the anchorage area
    www.havalon.com will be here in about a week ..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Barney's had a sale at Anchorage sportsman's show last year.

thanks for the quick replies, i"ll check out barney"s this week.

Chimos (next to Carrs) in Wasilla has a good selection, and they're great to work with too.

The stainless looks prettier but I chose the hunter-orange. So many times I've searched about for the knife I just set down while field dressing.

My father and I found ours on Ebay. It was cheaper, and had more replacement blades

Above all things don't get the black and gray handle!! If they could turn that into a camo suite it would be the ultimate scree slope camo pattern. I don't know how many time I just stared at the spot I KNEW I set it down while butchering a couple goats. Scary too with a blade that sharp if you set it down open it would be EASY to put your hand down on it. The only one to get in my opinion is the hunter orange version. I won't head afield without one now.

Barneys, in ANC
    Chimos or the archery shop over near Team CC Skidoo in the valley has them.

LuJon's advice for the color of the knife is spot on. I've got the stainless model (the knife is fantastic), but it all but disappears when you lay it down. The blaze orange model is the way to go as the handle color is largely hidden when the knife is in its sheath.

WhiteFish

Used the blaze orange model on a moose this fall and it was GREAT to work with. Ditto the color choice - Orange all the way!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Havlons are great gear. I'm a believer in the orange as well. Make sure to bring a few blades as you will most likely break a few until you get the hang of using one. A multi tool of some type makes changing the blades safer, but I have done it with a stick. The bunt tip blades are great for skinning.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I will add that the blades on mine are a bit tough to exchange safely with bare slippery fingers. I found my Leatherman needle nose pliers a great aid to do so safely... That puppy is so sharp a hunter could easily receive a bad cut if careless....
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Does anybody in Fairbanks sell the Havalon?

I also have a mini gerber tool that is just a couple ounces and I use it to remove blades when they are bloody and slick. Especially if broken. It can be done with reasonable safety if you practice a bit with bare hands but I don't see a reason to take the chance, especially when remote. Besides the little mini multi-tools are so useful for making gear repairs and such as well as getting lighter all the time that they are easier to justify in the pack.

Changing blades with very slippery hands is way easy and no tools should be needed. I struggled at first but just kick the end of the blade out and push with your fingernail on the end of the blade where it is not sharpened, and you'll have it off in no time...

Screaming eagle archery is the archery shop that carries it in the valley also...

My son and I have the white handled Havalon (gifts) and a couple different times while dealing with the moose on our float hunt we'd set the knives down then spend the next 15 minutes trying to find them. I corrected that problem by tying orange flagging tape to the handle. We'll probably end up getting the orange handled ones also.

I bought mine from Barney's in the blaze orange handle. Came with a pouch that you can hook on a belt and can hold a pack of about a dozen extra blades. Great knife. I had a regular skinning knife this past year, but ended up doing my entire caribou, quartered and all, with just the Havalon.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Barneys, Blaze orange one is 38 bucks comes with 12 blades, box of 100 blades is 42 bucks. Just bought some as gifts last week. Plenty in stock at the time.

That was my universal gift to all the guys in my family last Christmas. Everyone now has an orange handled one except for me....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast