Thread: 8x68

Default 8x68

Anyone have any experience with the 8x68? I've been trying to decide on a rifle to build, and this is one that I'm seriously considering.

Talking not exactly

I have with a 8mm338 wildcat, which is quite similar. I was going to do the 8X68, but available brass was the decider. The 325WSM is basically the same as the 8mm338. Might want to check those out. Good luck.

Default 8 X 68

I shot a 8 x 68 Schultz and Larson that a friend had. It is very close powerwise to the 8mm Rem Mag. I had a 8 Rem Mag and wish I still did as it was an excellent Moose rifle. The brass for the 8 x 68 is hard to find and costly. If it were me I would build a 8 RM, which is a improved H & H case, or neck up the 300 RUM to 8 mm.

Default 8mm.........

i have built a few 8mm/376 steyr on 98 mauser actions ,200 gr accubond at 2875-2900 fps pretty neat rifle 7.5 lbs with scope, feeds great ......... i also have 2 8mm mags one remington and 1 on a sako l61 both excellent guns they shoot the 200 accubond at 3200 and they kick......

Default 8x68S

I have an 8x68s that I built last year on a Sako LH AV action. It has a Lilja
    25 1/2" (650mm, standard for the 8x68s) barrel and currently a 6x Leupold. I like the 8mm but the 8mm Mag Rem 700 LH I had kicked the living crap out of me on the bench. I'm not particularly recoil sensitive as I shoot my 458 Lott with no problem but I think that 8 mag may be the worst in hard, fast recoil impulse. Of course that Rem 700 stock design doesn't help. The 8x 68s is way more tolerable off the bench and I was getting 3050fps with a 200 Accubond and R-22 but accuracy wasn't all that great(2" at 100 yds). H4350 was great for accuracy but 2900fps. I'm looking to try 180 gr. Triple Shocks as weather permits (-42 as I write this).
    I like the 8x68S and will try R-19 with 180's and 200's next.
    Regards,
    Scott B Smith

Default stock design

You hit it with stock design. I have had two 8mm338's made with straight combed stocks. Recoil comes straight back and barrel barely rises is at all. I've seen every animal I've shot being hit and never losing sight picture due to recoil. My wife (110 lbs) can shoot her's extremely well. I shoot a 180 barnes at 3250 and never needed a heavier bullet. One shot kills on elk, bison. griz and muskox, plus numerous deer and antelope, etc. These guns have no muzzle brakes and don't need them. My Rem 25-06 will knock my hat off with recoil, but the 8mm won't. IMR4831 is my powder of choice. Good luck.

walk-in are you planning on using a 98 mauser and re-chamber the existing barrel?
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

Default no definite plans yet

I don't have any definite plans yet. I'm always on the lookout for good actions or rifles that I could re-barrel. This is one of 2 that I am in the preliminary stages of building. The other one is a 35 Newton, which I am not going to proceed with until I have a sufficient supply of brass for just in case it becomes unavailable again in the future. I spoke to Graf's about it last week and they assured me that the brass is being made and that they will have it later this year. We shall see.
    For the 35 Newton, I'm leaning toward re-barreling something like a 300 Win. Mag. That will be the quickest and easiest way to go. No need to open the bolt face on a magnum action. For the 8x68, I haven't made up my mind yet. I may have a line on NOS FN actions. If so, I may build that one up from scratch. We'll see how it works out.