Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out this black bear and hunt story!

Default Check out this black bear and hunt story!

This is one big blackie! Also read the comments as proof that the ADN isn't the only liberal rag with idiot web trolls.

Hunt for 703-pound bear attracts amazement, criticism...

http://www.gjsentinel.com/outdoors/a..._bear_attract/

Not something I would choose to do, however, I do not think that crawling into the den of a snarling bear is an act of cowardness.

How does that saying go.... there is a thin line between courage and stupidity.... or something like that ?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's how the natives and way old timers used to do it.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's how the natives and way old timers used to do it.

oh yeah lots of folks did it... but the difference is.. most those are used for food...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

a big LOL at the comments on the article! A bunch of pampered yuppy skiiers calling a guy that crawled into a hole in the dirt with a SEVEN HUNDRED!!!!! POUND BEAR a coward... Wow. And I bet many of those people consider themselves intellectuals! They seem to think that giving a bear an equal or better chance to kill the hunter than be killed itself is the only ethical way to hunt- yet when a hunter does just that, he gets the full treatment. The sheer illogic and true idiocy of liberalism revealed once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    oh yeah lots of folks did it... but the difference is.. most those are used for food...
    I thought bears were killed in the old days to curb the competition for food, not so much as food??

Bears are more of a trophy animal than a food source, though many people eat black bear and some even eat browns, but you aren't even required to salvage the meat on a lot of bear hunts, so I am not to concerned with the way this animal was taken. It is obvious trophy hunting, and IMO not near as bad as the fellows hunting on the fenced in farm with the steroid food plots taken the deer for their huge racks, and most likely not eating a single bite of the meat.

The old natives used to crawl into the dens for the bears that they would eat. If you ever get ahold of "Make Prayers to the Raven" series of video, they show it. They use and eat all the bear. Even the intestines. This is something that the Koyukon Indians do. I think it would be pretty darn exciting myself!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    The old natives used to crawl into the dens for the bears that they would eat. If you ever get ahold of "Make Prayers to the Raven" series of video, they show it. They use and eat all the bear. Even the intestines. This is something that the Koyukon Indians do. I think it would be pretty darn exciting myself!
    exactly... bears were often, and in some areas still are sought for the food value of the bear meat and fat... along with the traditional garb made of the hide... in fact there was a denning issue the nat parks service were fighting at the BOG here last year... becasue like many.. they have no idea what they are talking about...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Anybody ever see the episode of Lee Hawe's Classic Hunts where they did a "traditional Russian bear hunt" in the winter? It was a terrible tv show that was on about 5 years ago and only ran a few episodes if I recall. If you can find that hunt, it is enlightening.... or not.

Thats pretty cool and one huge blackie!

I don't think I would have crawled into that cave - yikes!
    I wonder how many of those "critics" have ever hit an animal with their vehicle only to kill it or have it crawl off and die a agonizing death - just because they had too busy a schedule to slow down in areas animals frequent?
    Just one more example of "keep the details" to a minimum my friends.....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default Ouch

The local response that guy is getting is painful. It's a fine bear and who's to say he didn't hike long and hard to get into that den.

I say good-on-him for taking such a huge bruin. He crawled in there with a lever action and thats a much more sporting way to do it than sitting back a quarter mile with a scoped rifle and blasting away on a tidal flat.

It was a legal take. In all honesty, the only thing that bothers me some is the fact he found and tracked the bear to his den, made sure it was there and THEN went and bought a license/tag for the bear. Would i crawl in a den for a bear? Don't know, its not something I have on my bucket list.
    Some hunters have discussed spring hunting and finding bears as they just come out of the den so what's the difference? They can find the den due to the dirt as the bear goes in and out just as its wakingup and then sit at the den when it either comes out or comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    The local response that guy is getting is painful. It's a fine bear and who's to say he didn't hike long and hard to get into that den.

I say good-on-him for taking such a huge bruin. He crawled in there with a lever action and thats a much more sporting way to do it than sitting back a quarter mile with a scoped rifle and blasting away on a tidal flat.
    It took Kendall and several of his friends most of an hour to drag the bear out of its den and another 30 minutes to get it to Kendallís truck.

30 minute hike with 700 pound bear doesn't seem long nor hard considering most here including myself have hiked 2 or 3 hours to get ONE moose quarter from the field with about 5 or 6 more trips minimum to get the rest out of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    It took Kendall and several of his friends most of an hour to drag the bear out of its den and another 30 minutes to get it to Kendallís truck.

30 minute hike with 700 pound bear doesn't seem long nor hard considering most here including myself have hiked 2 or 3 hours to get ONE moose quarter from the field with about 5 or 6 more trips minimum to get the rest out of the field.
    yeah, but nothing seems hard after packing out a moose, one of the hardest things i have ever done

About 3 years ago, an Alaskan fishing guide got chewed up. It was spring and they watched a den and when the grizzly came out he went up and shot it. While taking pictures the SOW came out and bit him so his buddy shot her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    It was a legal take. In all honesty, the only thing that bothers me some is the fact he found and tracked the bear to his den, made sure it was there and THEN went and bought a license/tag for the bear. .
    I'm not sure why that's a problem for you. Would it have been better to kill the bear BEFORE he bought the license & tag?
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I'm not sure why that's a problem for you. Would it have been better to kill the bear BEFORE he bought the license & tag?
    Gary
    Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why that would bother anyone either. I am not familiar with the regs and all that down there, but I think the hunter was from Alaska and I know that tags for non residents are really expensive, if I remember correctly, a black bear tag in Idaho for non res was like 500bucks, so if that is the case, the hunter probably wanted to make sure the bear was there before spending that kind of money, 500 bucks is a lot of money to some folks, for others 500bucks is a pair of pants and a hat.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I just looked it up, bear tag for non res in CO is $354
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast