Thread: Garmins Aera vs 495

Cool Garmins Aera vs 495

I was in NLA today and almost bought a Garmin Aera GPS. They told me the 495 was going away and that the Aera/695 platforms are what Garmin will be making from now on. I thought about buying the 495 becasue that's the most popular GPS (I assume for a reason) but I liked the touch screen of the Aera. My friend has a 695 and I keep wanting to touch the screen when I'm playing with it. I'd love to hear some of your opinions.

Jeff

I have been using my 495 since hunting season. Not complaints yet. I just mounted it in the panel and have yet to go for a flight to test the new position out. If I had the money I would have bought the 695 just for the bigger screen but it was hard for me to justify the extra $$.

The 695 is the top dog for sure!! That being said, not everyone has that much realestate on thier panel. I bought a 495 for my dad, and he loves it, and I think it is a pretty good unit too. I friend of mine just bought the aera and we played with that on the way out to Illiamna the other day, and it worked very well also, I was impressed. It was VERY close to my garmin IFR GPS, and WAY easier to use. The only problem we had, it took us awhile to shut up the "terrain, Terrain" when we were flying thruough the pass!! We figured it out, but I still really like that feature. The gps technology now a days is amazing! But I still drool over that 695!!

I saw a IPAD with a program that has all VFR & IFR charts, airport diag.'s and approach plates. This was tied to a GPS. Give this a few more months and the 696 will have to drop in price by4/5 to compete. The IPAD was 695.00 and the program was $75.00 a year. The program was free to bundle the data. The GPS was thru a cell phone link which should be linked to a small handheld soon. Neat stuff for sure.

I believe it's Foreflight HD, and it's pretty skookum. Haven't tried it flying yet (I haven't bought the subscription), but it looks like the one I'll use - backed up by an Aera . . . .

I got an iPad for Christmas. The 3G model has a GPS chip set independant from the 3G or WiFi and can be used with both off. I did some research and purchased Foreflight. I played with it while on the slope and it worked great. GPS accuracy usually within 5-10 meters. I was playing with it while driving around on the slope and it did great. I ordered a RAM cessna seat rail mount system and can't wait to fly with it (hopefully this weekend). I'll try and take some pictures/video of it in action incase anyone else is interested.

Jeff

IMAG0012.jpgIt doesn't look like I'll be able to fly this weekend bu here are a couple of pictures of it mounted in the aircraft and on.IMAG0011.jpg