Thread: Pigot Bay Cabin

Default Pigot Bay Cabin

Hello, I am thinking of doing a trip to Pigot Bay out of whittier this summer and was looking for so information. I have a 17ft sea runner with a 50 hp, I have never been out there before and was looking for some information on the area. Would my motor be under powered to make this trip?

We would like to go out and drop a pot and see if we can catch some fresh dinner. Does anyone have any pointers or information they could offer?

Thanks

You can make that trip pretty easy with your setup. As always keep an eye onthe weather, but it's a pretty safe trip too. I've seen much smaller boats doing it all the time. Not saying they were all the smartest of people, but still. So, go for it and have a great time.

you can drop a pot out in front of Pigot bay and catch shrimp, not the best place, but I have done ok there before, the place is not a secret, I see several buoys there every time I have gone by

Shoot me a pm. I've got a spot not too far away that we've done pretty good at.

Your rig sounds doable, but if you stay at the cabin you will have to either let your boat go dry, or moor it out overnight. I have done this many times at this cabin, and a small boat can be anchored not far in front of cabin and gravel beach. Usually very calm there unless wind is from NE. Shrimping is OK there. Its where I started a few years ago. Actually had some pretty good catches at times there off of the south side of the bay, not quite outside the mouth.
    Reservations are hard to get. They run on a rolling calendar and you can only reserve 6 months advance. I can probably give you a couple more tips to getting those reservations if you are interested. pm me

We made it there from Whittier in a fully loaded 14' inflatable with a 20HP outboard without any problems. Of course, as goes with any AK outdoor expedition, you should always be prepared to wait out bad weather and always play it safe (no matter what size boat you've got).

The cabin itself isn't that great and when we went last August the heater didn't work worth !#$%. Bring a lantern as the cabin is quite dark.