Thread: Good bow for a 11 year old

Default Good bow for a 11 year old

Im planing a trip with my 11 year old son to ND with my borther who live in Minot Im looking for a good bow for my son that. Hes been shooting a long bow that we got for him when he was 6 from flechters when he was in business dont want to spend a fortune on but a decent compond for him thanks for the help Chris

Check out the Diamond Edge. I think Mathews has a similar model but the edge is really versatile and should be able to grow with him till he is ready for a full sized bow.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Check out the Diamond Edge. I think Mathews has a similar model but the edge is really versatile and should be able to grow with him till he is ready for a full sized bow.
    i have BOTH.. dimond and the mathews / misson menace... we have two of the mission for a reason.. great lil bows... and i will have # 4 kiddo in one in another year as well..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Im planing a trip with my 11 year old son to ND with my borther who live in Minot Im looking for a good bow for my son that. Hes been shooting a long bow that we got for him when he was 6 from flechters when he was in business dont want to spend a fortune on but a decent compond for him thanks for the help Chris
    Chris check your PM's.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

The nice thing about the Diamond Edge is you can turn in the limbs for a credit and they will send you replacement limbs as he out grows the draw length. I believe the draw length is 17" to 24" out of the box.

Thanks guys looks like we will be going with the Diamond Edge

Give the new mission Craze a good look too. We headed the Edge way, but the Mission felt better for the kid plus I think it had a lil more range in the adjustable depratment which was appealing.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by zeda34 View Post
    The nice thing about the Diamond Edge is you can turn in the limbs for a credit and they will send you replacement limbs as he out grows the draw length. I believe the draw length is 17" to 24" out of the box.
    yeah easier said then done... my daughters went in.. 12 weeks later.. came back wrong. Paul at archers den ended up trading it in for me.. to get one for her to shoot again.. bow tech is NOT that easy to deal with in that regard.. the would not deal with me them selves.. even though i had no dealer up here.. and refereed me to a co. in ARK. who never answered their phones.

i have two misson bows in the house for the kids.. have had nothing but good luck and service with them..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Just purchased a razors edge for my wife yesterday, and with luck my daughter will be using it in a few years. I wouldn't deal with the whole limb change. The 30lbs that you can tune the edge down too should be light enough I would think and it allows you to tune it up to a legal poundage for hunting. Without falling into the "well I have this and its better" mindset, Bear and Hoyt both have nice youth bows that may be worth a look along with the mathews/mission bow that was mentioned. Also just noticed a good deal on a youth Parker that may be worth checking out. Good luck on your search and your trip.

My boy has the Diamond Edge and its been a good one for him. It is the older one that requires the limb change to get the poundage over 40 lbs. I think the new one has a greater range of adjustment and you don't need to swap out the limbs. His friend has one as well and they both got their first archery deer this past season. I don't know anything about the other brands folks have mentioned but the Edge has been a good one for us.

a friends kid also has the mennace and loves it.

Thumbs up

I bought my son a Bear Odyssey II 2 yrs ago when he was 12. It was something that I thought would work without dropping big coin, mainly to see if he was that interested in archery like he claimed. He's very interested in it and now its time for an upgrade. He was a skinny little kid and wasn't that tall "then". Poundage range is like 23-50 and draw length is adjustable from something like 17-29inches. Didn't have to change anything to adjust it, just loosen a screw or two here and there, adjust and retighten. Really simple. Solid little bow. He's grown like a weed and is at the point of outgrowing it now, mainly in the poundage. He shot a forkhorn moose with it and it did great at 24yds. I'll be getting him a new one for his Bday in April. It was around $275 new. I've personalized it a bit with different sights, stabilizer, and rest. Its for sale too if interested. Anyways, good luck.

thanks for all the information guys we ended up going the razor