Thread: Next thing to try

Default Next thing to try

I am a hunter and fisherman who has fished most of my life. As a kid I loved to fish for large mouth bass in Ohio. Now that I am older and live in the greatest place on earth. I would love to learn how to ice fish. I have never done it and is my next adventure I would like to try. If anyone can get me started by any way possible would be better than what I know now.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Thumbs up Not in Ohio (or Michigan) any more

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I am a hunter and fisherman who has fished most of my life. As a kid I loved to fish for large mouth bass in Ohio.
    JC, if you were closer to here I'd offer to take you out, though I'm no expert.

Some people use tip ups (mechanical device that you set there) and some do vertical jigging; I've always found the latter more productive and more fun too. Drop it to the bottom, lift up just a bit, and then "be the bait" and be attractive in your movements, color, etc...

Hopefully someone up there can take you out. I can vouch for you being a great guy to spend time with afield. Anyone that might take the time to take you under their icefishing wing would be well rewarded by the experience, for sure.

Funny you mention large mouth bass. That was my first fish too; that's what my Dad first taught me to fish in Michigan (right next to Ohio), where I was born. He taught me to land a popper within a few inches of a lillypad and then expect (though it didn't always happen) a huge splash to result immediately as the largemouth hit it. Fun, fun, stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I am a hunter and fisherman who has fished most of my life. As a kid I loved to fish for large mouth bass in Ohio. Now that I am older and live in the greatest place on earth. I would love to learn how to ice fish. I have never done it and is my next adventure I would like to try. If anyone can get me started by any way possible would be better than what I know now.
    It is one of the simplest hobbies to pick up that I know. All you need is a fishing pole with some bait (shrimp, worms, herring, roe, mealworms, nightcrawlers etc.), an ice auger to drill your hole, some basic tackle (jigs, spoons etc.), an ice scoop, and you are ready to go man. A good place to start is the ADF&G website. When you go to the website, look up sport fisheries, lake maps, and you can find a page that will give you a complete description of lakes in your area that are stocked with fish or lakes with wild fish. When you look at a lake map, what you should look for is structure. Things like points, islands, drop-offs, inlets, outlets, and hidden shoals. These are all good places to find fish. Each fish species is found in different depths and terrain types, but generally speaking when you are starting out, I would stick close to the shoreline. Good luck to you. Ice fishing is a great sport for curing the winter itch. Be sure to dress really warm, it can get real cold sitting out on the ice for awhile. And it would be wise to bring a sled with you to carry your gear.