Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally the Yakutat trip is a reality!

Default Finally the Yakutat trip is a reality!

After many years of things popping up and plans changing it seems I have finally made this trip a reality. A buddy of mine from Wainwright and I will be hitting the Situk searching for Metalheads in mid-May. Looks like we will be staying @ the Glacier Bear Lodge for the 4 day/5 night package which includes room,food,rental car, plus a halibut charter/guided river charter...whichever we choose to do. Anyone have any experience with this lodge? I have been trying to do this forever and am already counting down the days! Hope to see some forum members down there!

Sapper in the Skies

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    After many years of things popping up and plans changing it seems I have finally made this trip a reality. A buddy of mine from Wainwright and I will be hitting the Situk searching for Metalheads in mid-May. Looks like we will be staying @ the Glacier Bear Lodge for the 4 day/5 night package which includes room,food,rental car, plus a halibut charter/guided river charter...whichever we choose to do. Anyone have any experience with this lodge? I have been trying to do this forever and am already counting down the days! Hope to see some forum members down there!

Sapper in the Skies
    Pretty sweet brotha! I will also be down there this year, but my plans haven't been finalized as of yet. I haven't been to the that particular lodge, but I have stayed at one of the other lodges in town, not the best. I believe that you are staying at one of the nicest in Yakutat. I'm sure everyone has their own opinnion and this isn't the place to dog a particular place. Mid May will have plenty of fish around I'm sure. Two years ago I went on the third weekend of May and there were some holdovers and chromers in the system. Just thinking about it gets the blood pumping!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I have stayed at the Glacier Bear many times. Cherise runs a great operation, she is a great lady and the food is great. The best part of it, is that your dinner meals are anything on the menu including specials, so you will eat like kings. Sack lunch for the day, just ask for the lunch bag menu at dinner and fill it out with what you want, it will be on the bar first thing in the am, ready for you to head out fishing. Car rentals, well car rental are car rentals in Yakutat, there is nothing special or great but they get you where you want to go (for the most part...hahaha).

Having never been to Yak, I would suggest a guided river trip first or second day, it will cut the learning curve down for you quite a bit.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a great trip so far...definitely hear what you are saying about the guided trip day 1 or 2. Probably leaning that way since my deep freeze is still overflowing with halibut from last years Orion charter! As far as rentals go well that's exactly what I've heard...lol. Just excited to get this thing going! Anyone else out there headed down?

Sapper in the Skies

as akgloomis said you are staying at the best lodge in town IMO. I prefer to go there the first week of may but a week or 2 later shouldn't really matter. As for the car rentals....or should I say van rentals........it is what it is. I would go with a guide right off the bat, and depending on what kind of rod your using I would take at least a 7/8 wt, and a spinner or bait caster. There are holes up there that you can't use both or the other. I use an 8wt and black wooly buggers,there are a lot of sweepers they like to wrap you p on, also make sure you take snow shoes to be on the safe side if you plan on hiking up river any from the bridge, don't worry about a trail there will be one there.

Enjoy your time there it is a nice place.............and the fishing "can" be like no other!

Go with a guide from the start so you know where the fish are. Depending on temps and water level, the fish could be up high, down low, in the middle etc. Floating the whole river on day one will let you know where to concentrate your efforts. I'll be there in April and May!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I'll be bringing a 8/9 wt TFO plus a spinning rod as a back-up. I think the guided river trip is the best bet as well. Is it May yet? Until then back to the Hard Water!!!

Sapper in the Skies

So the lodge is booked for Glacier Bear Lodge for May 13-17! Guided trip on the river is set-up for that Saturday as well. Seemed like the best decision to make in order to reduce the learning curve. Anyone have any fav fly petterns for the Situk? I am bringing several Garcia Glo-Bugs as well as Green Butt Skunks, ESL's, and polar shrimps. The new Loomis GL2 will see action too! I can't remember being this excited about a fishing trip in a long time...

Id bring some beads as well as size 4 or 6 hooks. I've had very good luck on big 10 and 12mm beads in bright red and green for steel. I've tried the glowbugs like people like but have always had more luck with beads. Affg sells a situk bead box I believe as well as smaller packs of some good stuff.

Thanks Armo for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Id bring some beads as well as size 4 or 6 hooks. I've had very good luck on big 10 and 12mm beads in bright red and green for steel. I've tried the glowbugs like people like but have always had more luck with beads. Affg sells a situk bead box I believe as well as smaller packs of some good stuff.
    Seriously...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Bring plenty of extra gear. I guarantee you'll lose a ton a stuff...

Try drifting some jigs under a float too. Orange worked best for me. Absolutley dyanmite on the lower river last time I was there.
    Nice Marmot.

Yes do bring lots of tackle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will lose it. Those fish will try like heck to get you tangled on ever sweeper they can. And bring lots of leader! One more fly that worked well for me is a black wooly bugger with crystal flash tied in, and black ESL's with flash and a chartruse color head.

Is April 4th too early? Lets put it this way, what is the earliest a guy could go?

The earliest that I have heard of fresh (spring) fish coming in was March 7th.

Depending on snowpack, the access road may not be passable until late april.

Some years, the river stays below 100cfs until late april / early may.

The early game is touch-and-go...you need to be ready to get there at a moment's notice, when the water comes up the very first time and the new freshies are headed upstream - otherwise, you are just harassing old fall boots tryin' to spawn and get gone.

Thank you G Smolt! Who would be a reliable source to check with about stream volume and road conditions? I'm ready all I gotta do is throw the stuff in the truck and drive 13 miles to Merle K "Mudhole" Smith airport in Cordova and pop down

Situk River gauge.

A good source of info for fishermen looking to go to YAK.

Brian Marston is the ADF&G Bio. down there. He would be a good contact.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Not too knowledgeable on the beads...about 2 in. above the hook?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper 27 View Post
    Not too knowledgeable on the beads...about 2 in. above the hook?
    Two inches is pretty standard. I like to peg mine using peg its from affg. Other people use toothpicks or heavy mono but I really like the peg its for simplicity and invisability.

This has been covered before but learn how to snell your bead hooks. It will be frustrating at first but I believe it makes a big difference in hooking and staying hooked to fish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast