Thread: mauser to mannlicher sporter

Default mauser to mannlicher sporter

Hello all,
    A.D.D. is setting in and I'm looking for a winter project.
    I have a chance to buy a 7x57 vz-24 without any crest, and some other cracked mausers. I want to do a project with the kids to build a 7x57 mannlicher stocked hunting rifle.

I've hunted with milsurps since childhood, but never "sporterized" one.
    I hear that the cost may be more than a new rifle. Anyway, is there a place to buy mannlicher stock that are pretty much all cut out and need minor fit and stain? Should I use a carbine to start or buy a new barrel?

I'm looking for any info for making a sporter with a mannlicker stock from a 98, 24/47, Vz-24, or M48 in 7x57.
    The forum rules invited me to ask experts.... I ain't one (yet). I was a mechanic, and aircraft mechanic, have tools and access to a machine shop and good for hire gunsmith. I'm looking toweigh all of my possibilities without hacking an otherwise fine milsurp rifle. I'll probably find one that has already been somewhat sporterized because they are so cheap.

FInding a milsurp 7x57 with a really good barrel is going to be very tough. Fortunatly repalcement barrels are easy to find but there goes the cost way up.

I'd try to find a Mark X or such with a 7x57 barrel already on it and then re-stock it. By the time you rebarrel, drill and tap, forge the bolt, replace the trigger etc. converting a milsurp just isn't worth time anymore.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Yea, I'm starting to see the costs of what you are saying. I just wanted a project with the kids. The Mark X idea looks good and I could sell the stock to off-set the cost of restocking.

Satisfaction in turning an old firearm into just the rifle you want: priceless.
    Yeah, I've heard all the arguments, and it does end up costing a lot, but after sporterizing two milsurps, I'm hooked. looking for my next project with anticipation. A Mannlicher-ed Mauser sounds classy.
    Just call me "Bubba".

Getting just the rifle you want is the expensive part!

For a mauser with mannlicher stye stock you really need a small ring action and they are getting impossible to find anymore - I can't recall the last time I saw one for sale. There just be a lot around - then it made a lot more sense to convert. Now a good military rifle for an action costs a lot more than a nice commerical sporter!

I converted a VZ33 to a mannlicher sporter many years ago. I even fitted a DST to it. I still have the gun - I need to dig it out and shoot it again. The actions now are worth a fair sum of money - they are probably about the nicest military mauser ever made and the best mauser action bar none ever made for a lightweight rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Satisfaction in turning an old firearm into just the rifle you want: priceless.
    Yeah, I've heard all the arguments, and it does end up costing a lot, but after sporterizing two milsurps, I'm hooked. looking for my next project with anticipation. A Mannlicher-ed Mauser sounds classy.
    Just call me "Bubba".
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

For what it's worth a fellow at the last gunshow in Wasilla had 3 barrelled Mexican Mausers for sale. These would make a nice little Mannlicher stocked sporter, and you wouldn't need to worry about getting one with a good barrel. Also as Tvfinak stated a small ring makes a much nicer fullstock carbine, I built one on a large ring 98 one time and it is a little on the clunky side. I would shop Ebay or Gunbroker for an old bishop or fajen semi inlet as far as stocks go, I just don't think that today's wood stock companies measure up to the older ones of yesteryear.

Anyone know who had the 3 Mexican Mausers at the last gun show??

Midway sells relatively cheap barrels that get good reviews if you go that direction:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=641107

I bought a Fajen mannlicher for my Ruger 10/22 years ago - it was my first semi-inlet attempt and it came out well. I have never used this guy but he advertises as having mauser full length stocks for sale:

http://www.gunstocks.com/pricemn.html

You can get a Timney or Bold trigger with safety, the stock nose cap, grip cap and butt plate from Brownells. The costs add up, but it is a fun project.

Lothar Walther (use google) makes EXCELLENT deep chambered barrels for large ring Mausers. The advantage of deep chambered is you do not need to buy the reamer but can trim off the breech and shoulder to get the head space correct. Last one I got was $219 and easy to install.

I like building rifles from mauser but I weld on my own bolt handles and can do some other metal work as well as bluing and stock work. But, unless you can do this work yourself, it my be easier to buy a new or used rifle. Best wishes. J.

Sent you the contact for the Mex mausers