Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Ruger #1

  1. #1
    Member walk-in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    771

    Default Ruger #1

    The wife told me to pick out a gun for myself for Christmas. I had been thinking about a new carry gun, but I've also been wanting a single-shot rifle for quite awhile now. I've been interested in the Ruger #1 for a long time, but I've never had the opportunity to handle one. I'm just interested in any first hand opinions with them....particularly in 300 or 375 H&H.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

  2. #2

    Default

    Of the two you highlight, I greatly prefer the 375. It just handles well for me and is one of the most "natural" pointing and offhand guns I've ever shot. My real favorite though, is the International in 7x57. Talk about a fun gun! I'm a lefty and therefore have used them for close to 40 years. There's lots of good info available on accurizing and fine tuning.

  3. #3
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    The old 375H&H Tropical is a fine rifle and nicer to shoot than the same gun in 458winmag. I also really like the International rifles and wish I still had mine in 308. I really want any single shot I have to have open sights and the Rugers I enjoy have them.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    The larger caliber Ruger No. 1s are neat - I have several - but you have to ask yourself if you want something requiring those calibers with a single shot and how much will you really hunt with it? They are a classic by any standard and great to own and shoot - I love the guns myself.

    A .300 just will have a lot more uses- a .30 caliber is just more versatile all round in any rifle.

    Unless you are stuck on getting a new rifle try to find an old one - the older the better. Like almost all guns the earlier ones were better finished and fitted - if you compare them side by side it shows. Finding a pre prefix one in a large caliber is almost impossible but you can find them in the 130- & 131- prefix ranges. Good thing about the larger calibers is that they are almost always like new; I do have a .458 I picked up used for $350 that does show some obvious use.

    Good luck in your search and choice.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  5. #5
    Member Armymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    624

    Default

    I have several and my No. 1 in .338 Win Mag is the bomb. I get 1.25 inch groups with many different loads and bullets from 180 grain to 250 and the versatility is great. I also have a 7MM Rem Mag which will shoot .5 inch groups at 100 yards. They can be finicky though. I would love to get a .375 and I believe you can hunt anything with it based on how you load but the .300 will be the most versatile. I have a .300 Win Mag No.1 V with the heavy varmit barrel that will drive tacks. If your only going to get one, I'd get the .300WM. But be careful, once you have one, usually another follows.




  6. #6
    Member walk-in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    The larger caliber Ruger No. 1s are neat - I have several - but you have to ask yourself if you want something requiring those calibers with a single shot and how much will you really hunt with it? They are a classic by any standard and great to own and shoot - I love the guns myself.

    A .300 just will have a lot more uses- a .30 caliber is just more versatile all round in any rifle.

    Unless you are stuck on getting a new rifle try to find an old one - the older the better. Like almost all guns the earlier ones were better finished and fitted - if you compare them side by side it shows. Finding a pre prefix one in a large caliber is almost impossible but you can find them in the 130- & 131- prefix ranges. Good thing about the larger calibers is that they are almost always like new; I do have a .458 I picked up used for $350 that does show some obvious use.

    Good luck in your search and choice.
    I don't really have any need for it, so it really is just a matter of what I want. I've never had an H&H, and I just like the idea of one (either one of them) in a single shot. If I was intentionally going up against something that required a larger caliber I'd have someone with me, anyway, so I don't anticipate only having one shot being much of a handicap there. I wouldn't be opposed to picking one up in a smaller caliber if the price was right, though.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

  7. #7
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    Those #1s have some strong appeal... that Davidson run of the 1-S in .300 H&H is awful tempting. I bet a guy could do nice things with that giant tapered case in a strong #1 action...particularly with the 26" barrel.

    A reciever sight on it and I could be in hog heaven.

    A .375 might be nice but big calibers and #1s never seemed to go together to me.

  8. #8
    Member e45colt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    317

    Default

    I also have several and I really like the 1-S in 9.3 x 74R.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Afflicted by condition human

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    I also have several and I really like the 1-S in 9.3 x 74R.
    That's a particularly good choice!

  10. #10
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default

    Don't the Rugers actually eject the spent hulls and with good force???? That would be a plus in my mind if in big bear country as it would allow you time to insert another round without fumbling to take out an empty!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Don't the Rugers actually eject the spent hulls and with good force???? That would be a plus in my mind if in big bear country as it would allow you time to insert another round without fumbling to take out an empty!
    It's actually adjustable for the amount of force you want. But yeah, the fast ejection is part of the "secret" in fast reloads. I keep a couple of spare rounds by their butts between the fingers of my trigger hand on the pistol grip. With a little practice it's as fast as a bolt (by actual stopwatch tests). No short stroking a #1!

  12. #12
    Member Armymark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Don't the Rugers actually eject the spent hulls and with good force????
    That would be a plus in my mind if in big bear country as it would allow you time to insert another round without fumbling to take out an empty!
    They are adjustable. You can set the ejector to just pull the spent case out enough the remove it by hand or you can set it to Launch out of the breech.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    CDNN recently ran a sale on #1's, stainless, laminated stock, 375 H&H, for $650. Might give them a call to see if they have any left.
    Tennessee

  14. #14
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    If set to eject to hard the brass can catch the bottom edge of the safety which can be bad but set right it throws them out well with never a problem.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

  15. #15
    Member walk-in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    CDNN recently ran a sale on #1's, stainless, laminated stock, 375 H&H, for $650. Might give them a call to see if they have any left.
    The price sounds good, but I don't want stainless. I've got my 1 stainless gun. Thats enough for me.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    If set to eject to hard the brass can catch the bottom edge of the safety which can be bad but set right it throws them out well with never a problem.
    That's another of the well-publicized "fixes." Lift out the safety slide, shorten the front lobe about 30%, smooth and reblue and cases clear it every time.

    Good discussion, and a great price just cited. Bottom line, the #1 is a solid performer right out of the box, and you can improve it even more.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    The stainless laminated No. 1s just don't sit right with me either. A No. 1 should be as Ruger intended it - blued with a nice piece of walnut. Of course rust blued is even better with a egg shell (no gloss) finished stock.

    I've got an early 30XX serial no. standard barreled action in .243 I want to build up someday into a .30-06 sporter rifle when I run across a barrel and get the fancy wood I have inletted for the gun. I keep stumbling across good deals on No. 1s but I just haven't found my sporter in '06 yet.

    Anyone that appreciates the blued walnut No. 1s should check out the earlier guns if they are not familar with them already. The stocks were closer fitted and the overall fit and finish is significantly better. Of course they also bring a premium price but No. 1s were not intended as a cheap gun for the average shooter.



    Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    The price sounds good, but I don't want stainless. I've got my 1 stainless gun. Thats enough for me.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dublin, GA
    Posts
    546

    Default

    Wood and blue Ruger # 1 for sale on 24 hour campfire

    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr..._H#Post4715418


    For sale is my No.1 in .375 H&H. Its in very good shape with just a few dings on the stock. Been in the safe for 5 yrs except for an annual trip to the range. My dreams of Africa ended last year with a torn retina (work related, not caused by shooting this rifle).
    Rings included. $795.00 delivered

    Also have 34 rounds of ammo and 40 once fired brass available to buyer for additional $70.00 delivered.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

  19. #19
    Member walk-in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by boliep View Post
    Wood and blue Ruger # 1 for sale on 24 hour campfire

    http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr..._H#Post4715418


    For sale is my No.1 in .375 H&H. Its in very good shape with just a few dings on the stock. Been in the safe for 5 yrs except for an annual trip to the range. My dreams of Africa ended last year with a torn retina (work related, not caused by shooting this rifle).
    Rings included. $795.00 delivered

    Also have 34 rounds of ammo and 40 once fired brass available to buyer for additional $70.00 delivered.
    Looks like a possible winner. I sent the guy a PM. Thanks.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

  20. #20
    Member walk-in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    771

    Default

    I'm considering going in a new direction with this. Anyone know where you can get either No. 1 or No. 3 actions? I know that Brownells sold them a few years ago, but they don't have them any more. Stocks are relatively easy to come by if you're willing to put out a few bucks or can find a donor rifle.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •