Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When fishing in Bear Dense areas, how many carry short 12 Ga.?

Default When fishing in Bear Dense areas, how many carry short 12 Ga.?

When fishing in remote areas and/or areas with high bear densities, how many carry short 12 Ga. and who carries pistol (revolver)?
    Personally, I like the revolver with hardened loads, but my buddy (who also does a lot of remote fishing) likes carrying a short "Tactical" style 12. Ga on a sling.

I am "In-Between" sidearms right now, so started to get curious about what you guys carry- When you DO carry.
    Just curious is all. I've seen some guys w/ short 12 Ga. and wondered how many guys (Gals?) are going that route?

Grits

If I'm hiking and bush whacking a lot, I carry a pistol. If I don't need to be that mobile, I carry a 12 ga.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I've fished them for 35+ years. Any more, I'm inclined to carry pepper spray and dose the anglers that are teaching the bears bad habits. If a bear is causing trouble I just leave.

Remote areas with few people? Yeah, I carry both a handgun and a shotgun. I prefer shotguns, but I'm always laying the blooming things down so I wear the handgun too.

A light .44 like a 329PD or Tracker is just about perfect.
    I carry a SBH, but wouldn't recommend single action unless you are familiar.
    I can't imagine lugging a 12 gauge around.

I carry a S&W 460V in a chest holster. It's plenty of grunt for even the biggest brownies. Nothing wrong with a 12 gauge slinging heavy slugs though. My advice if you choose the shotgun: Practice a lot, since even a short barreled shotgun will take much more time to get into action than a hand-gun. Bears can move VERY fast though. That's why I choose a DA revolver in .460.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Good input! Not definitive either way. More based on needs of mobility.
    AK Soldier: 1) I LOVE THAT GUN!! That's a performance shop piece, isn't it? 2) Yeah, that was the exact same point that got me and my buddy talking about this subject.

Tailwind: Yeah, I sold my Tracker Ttl Titanium,which is why I am now looking to replace it. I have had a few bear encounters (none of them "bad") and couldn't imagine thumbing a SBH (or any other SA for that matter) if I was faced with a situation that demanded that I pull it. I have watched Grizzlies move with insane speed after just "lumbering along". Mostly, I lie to myself by thinking I would even clear leather- see reason #1 below.

BBear: TFF! Yep! Agreed (on the bear training issue), and also a point I hadn't considered- I can sympathize with "layin' it down somewhere". LOL. I have long ago come to the realization that I mostly carry a bear gun for 3 reasons:
    1) Because it makes ME feel better, and less "Bearanoid"
    2) I am a "Gear Hound", and owning a big bore pistol AND having a semi-plausible reason to give to my wife for buying/owning one earns me extra points on my Man Card. and
    3) IF there was ever an instance (no matter how slim the odds of it ever happening) that I was actually being knawed on by anything intent on Killing me, I don't want to be thinking to myself "If only I had a bear gun!", while I hear my bones being chewed on or watching the flesh being ripped from my body.... But Mostly for reasons 1&2.

FGod: Yeah, this is along the lines I was thinkin'.

if I carry, it is a 12 gauge, simply because thats what the state gives me
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I always pack my old "Dirty Harry"... S&W 626 .44 mag. I don't have much bear trouble, but I sure get lots of respect from crowding knuckleheads on the river!

I grew up in bear country and walked and fished the creeks and rivers and never carried a gun. I would allways be making noise i.e. talking loud/singing and not very well! Bears move fast and mostly if startled will you have enough about you to get the firearm pointed in the right direction? The last comment that Grits made would be the only reason I would have a firearm on my person. I have guided on some of these remote western rivers/creeks and had bear incounters and making a stand always sufficed. Trying to "clear leather" would be a mistake with a loaded firearm. I understand that folks just want to feel safe and more too ya but IMO keep it holstered unless you have plenty of time to keep cool with the firearm.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i only carry a gun when i am looking for something to shoot.. when i bear hunt a bear typically ends up dead, needing skinning, fleshing, butchering, salting, tanning, processing..

i have found the BEST way to avoid that kind of work, when i don't want it... is not carry.. sometimes just looking at them is enough to make them leave... sometimes a rock on the ass works.. sometimes.. they just walk on by with out any concern of you at all... ( though i bet he gets into the woods and giggles to his friend.... I was so scared i nearly peed in front of them.)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    I would allways be making noise i.e. talking loud/singing and not very well!
    You just gave me a great money-making idea. I could tape my singing and sell it to guys on the river. It hasn't failed me in 35 years on bear rivers. Guaranteeeeeeed bear protection! I'm so bad I'm good. Or at least for keeping the bears at bay.

I'm w/ the last several posters, 47 years (48 in a couple days) fishing and hiking around bear infested wilderness w/ nothing but my fishing pole and pocket knife. I've been charged by moose and treed at least 3 times but never bears. Whenever i'm in heavy bear I do like BrownBear does, I sing at the top of my lungs. One time on my paper route on Huffman road I was X-country skiing my route that particular day (it was like '74) and I had a moose chase me around a tree for what seemed like hours. I kept it at ski pole distance but I think that was the most frightened I've ever been by a wild animal, it wouldn't quit

Quote Originally Posted by Grits Hardway View Post
    Good input! Not definitive either way. More based on needs of mobility.
    AK Soldier: 1) I LOVE THAT GUN!! That's a performance shop piece, isn't it? 2) Yeah, that was the exact same point that got me and my buddy talking about this subject.
    No, it's a standard model available from S&W, and sold at any gun store that carries S&W's. They're just kind of hard to find because S&W can't keep up with demand. The "V" in the model name is the roman numeral "5", indicating the barrel length. I ordered mine while in Afghanistan last December when S&W offered a one-time 40% off any gun deal to all active and retired military. All S&W 460's can also fire .454 Casull and .45 Colt.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Never carried for bear protection out of SE. IF I do carry....

1st choice: 329PD, moonclips, hybraported, sw500 grips
    2nd choice: 45-70 with barrel chopped to 16.5
    3rd choice: Marine magnum 12ga.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Never carried for bear protection out of SE. IF I do carry....

1st choice: 329PD, moonclips, hybraported, sw500 grips
    2nd choice: 45-70 with barrel chopped to 16.5
    3rd choice: Marine magnum 12ga.
    This man lies....... He carries a can of Grizzly.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

The more remote you can get, the better.

Seems campgrounds in AK are dangerous as hell though

I like S&W 500 with 4" barrel, Glock 20, and Marlin Guide gun.

Which one I use depends on the trip.

Don't understimate the value of a bright flashlight either.

My Surefire M6 saved my butt one time in SW.

Seems the more liquor I drink, the safer I feel.

Common sense trumps all of course.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    This man lies....... He carries a can of Grizzly.
    Gotta have the can. Need something to do while I'm waiting for you dilly dallying 2 corners back trying to decide on a 7.1246mm bead or a 7.6235mm bead in the same color.

Let me show the winter crowd here something.
    Fishing a stream very very densely populated with bears. Big mean Angry hungry bears too, not these mamby pamby candy *** black bears.
    Muzzyman spent the whole day like this: Highly trained Gov Operative with long barrelled 44mag.

I on the other hand, knowing I was safe in the hands of Muzzy's government training behind 300+ grains of death spent the day like this:

Icb12,

Nice but where is the fly rod sticking up out of the can holder???? Nice to have friend with skills.

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    Icb12,

Nice but where is the fly rod sticking up out of the can holder???? Nice to have friend with skills.

George
    George,
    Dead eye dick there shot the tip off his in a brilliant feat of precision marksmanship. Me, being the nice guy and genuine friend that I am, let him use mine as a thank you for his continued protective services throughout the day.

If the bear onslaught got any heavier I might of had to introduce my good friend brenneke.
    If Chuck Norris wasn't able to kill a griz dead with one roundhouse to the head, then even HE would use brenneke slugs in his 12ga.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast