Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: guide charged

Default guide charged

http://www.adn.com/2010/12/18/161131...iolations.html

surprised no-one posted about this earlier....seems this guys been in trouble before.
    i don't understand why our system slaps them on the hands for 5 yrs when they're noingly & willingly breaking the law

Criminal scum are usually pretty active folks......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

finally gettin lepping huh? took em long enough. and yeah that guys definitely beeb outlawin for a bit...

He exceeded commercial services beyond his scope as a transporter, and broke laws that any hunter, guide or not, must follow, including flying clients the same day they hunted... I wonder if he put tails on those clients for stability and which kind of string he attached them with.

Seriously, I have never been a transporter or guide but, I do know that a hunter cannot hunt the same day airborne ( with very limited exception) . I have never, ever, heard that a transporter/guide cannot fly (in an airplane) a hunter the same day they have hunted. I am thinking the author of this article used poorly chosen words... or am I incorrect ?

If a hunter hunts after they have been dropoped off by airplane, how can the transporter possibly be held responsible ?

Additionaly, good on the LEOs for getting after someone who has such disregard for what is legal.

Not the first guy to run illegal bear operations in that part of the state. Won't be the last either.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I hold both licenses, and I know that transporters are not allowed to stay in the field with a hunter, also guides are not allowed to guide a client in the field on the same day airborne. Both guides and transporters are required to report any violations and will be held accountable if they are aware of violations and don't report them.Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by airguide View Post
    I hold both licenses, and I know that transporters are not allowed to stay in the field with a hunter, also guides are not allowed to guide a client in the field on the same day airborne. Both guides and transporters are required to report any violations and will be held accountable if they are aware of violations and don't report them.Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    So, if a transporter flew in with some clients and say weather kept him grounded there for a few days are you saying the hunters could not go out and hunt on their own until he was able to leave???
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    So, if a transporter flew in with some clients and say weather kept him grounded there for a few days are you saying the hunters could not go out and hunt on their own until he was able to leave???
    I think if this were the scenario then the powers to be would have enough common sense to know what was going on, but then again, how many guys would take advantage of this scenario. Maybe if the transporter clearly established he camped away from and had no contact with his clients, then I would imagine he would be considered legal, but I do not know the law as it is written

I could see where it could be a real issue as the clients would be in a very bad spot to give up hunting days....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I could see where it could be a real issue as the clients would be in a very bad spot to give up hunting days....
    Yeah, I mean as long as nothing fishy was going on like a transporter acting as a guide on the side, I don't see what the big deal would be. It is not fair for hunter to have to suspend their hunt because it is unsafe for the transporter to fly, and also it would put pressure on the transporter to fly in unsafe conditions so his customers could hunt so they would be happy, seems like a case of a few bad apples ruining it for the honest people
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    .... seems like a case of a few bad apples ruining it for the honest people
    Unfortunately, that is exactly why there are a vast majority of laws. Laws are designed typically to outline what most would follow normally, but some need "guidance" in.

Statutes and Regulations, Unlawful Acts. Sec. 08.54.720, (19) person who is licensed as a transporter, or who provides transporter services under a transporter license, to knowingly accompany or remain in the field with a big game hunter who is a client of the person except as necessary to perform the specific duties of embarking or disembarking big game hunters, their equipment, or big game animals harvested by hunters; this paragraph does not apply to a person who holds both a transporter license and a registered guide-outfitter license issued under this chapter when the person has a contract to provide guiding services for a client.

This might be a good subject for the "ask a trooper" forum.

I sent a pm to the troopers, lets see if they give us some clarification

not the first time this guys been in trouble....got a record about 12 yrs back for the same type of thing

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    not the first time this guys been in trouble....got a record about 12 yrs back for the same type of thing
    There seems to be no doubt about the guy in the original post being guilty, the post has raised some other questions about other transporters though

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    It was at that time I was first getting interested in sheep hunting. Living on a pretty tight budget, I answered an ADN ad for camping and hunting gear. I made the drive out to his beautiful home and purchased an old Barney's frame pack with a bag. He told me he was getting out of the guiding industry and would just be a transporter from then on. The bag had his name written in permanent marker across the back of it in large bold letters. I felt a little goofy hiking around in the park with another's name on my back, but what the heck... I was able to get into a good pack on the cheap. It was a couple of weeks later his name came up in the news for violations. It was then I knew why he was getting out of the guiding industry.

I've since upgraded to the newer model of Barney's frame and bag, so I don't have to advertise for him while hiking/hunting anymore. However that pack is still in my shed and still bears his name although somewhat faded now.

At the time he came off as a rather arrogant man and probably the type that feels he can make his own laws and should be untouchable. I'm glad that is not the case. Hopefully, this will be the end of him illegally providing services to the hunting public at the expense of our resources. If I knew then what I know today, I'd likely have kept my hundred bucks and not supported him in any way.

My praise goes to our law enforcement agencies for nailing him... AGAIN. Will it be the last time they have to? Let's hope so.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Yeah, I mean as long as nothing fishy was going on like a transporter acting as a guide on the side, I don't see what the big deal would be. It is not fair for hunter to have to suspend their hunt because it is unsafe for the transporter to fly, and also it would put pressure on the transporter to fly in unsafe conditions so his customers could hunt so they would be happy, seems like a case of a few bad apples ruining it for the honest people
    I have heard some horror stories about Troopers who were mincing definitions and the exact letter of the laws and regulations. In the situation being described here, I think safety MUST be the deciding factor. This is not national security. And it's not worth a pilot losing thier life and/or thier plane, which I'm betting is a big part of thier livelihood and for sure a major investment. Common sense and safety MUST be the rule!

Lepping has been doing this stuff since at least 1986. Sometimes the law sticks sometimes it doesn't. Been on the radar for awhile it looks like, but not the first time he has been caught. Whoever said "finally", last time he was in court for this behavior was 2008.

We had recent write ups about IL professional waterfowl hunter"Jeffery Foiles" recently as he got busted on 23 counts over 3 or 4 years worth of undercover work. Potentially 250,000.00 in fines and 5 yrs prison time for over limits, false records etc.
    I don't know how to attach a link so type his name in if you want to get the scoop. He had decoys, calls etc named after him - one more big dog bites the dust...

Default He still doesn't get it

He still doesn't get it:

"Lodge owner gets jail time for serving as illegal guide "

Read the story and you'll see that the headline doesn't reflect the scope of what was involved here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast