Thread: What's the best way to ship fish to Seattle in the summer?

Default What's the best way to ship fish to Seattle in the summer?

What's the best way to ship fish to Seattle in the summer?
    Looking for some ideas, 'cause I've never done it. Maybe 50-100# worth. Is dry ice and UPS or FedEx overnight or 2nd day air the only way???

I know some of you guys have faced this dilemma for yourselves or clients recently, so I am looking for current info if you care to share it.

I appreciate your help. Happy Holidays,

Grits

Grits; Take your fish to a local proceesor, like here in Homer there is Homer Fish Processing and Coal Point. They can process it how you want, vac pac it, freeze it and box it. You can then take it home on the plane or have them ship it. Usually they can also hold it till you want it shipped. No need for dry ice anymore, FedEx (best) gets it there quick and is reliable. HFP is my favorite at 907-235-1997. This all will seem expensive but will probobly be cheaper than buying in your local seafood store and you get a MUCH better product.

Good luck fishing!!!

Very cool! Thanks Tom. I will check it out, though Homer might be a ways south of where we will be. I will call him and get pricing and mention that you referred me.
    Happy Holidays,

Grits

We have FedEx to here in Texas [ 25 hours ] and have packed it on the plane . If a PROCESSOR does it tell them you are taking it on the plane with you , the fish will be hard frozen and packed in a Insulated box either way and make the trip no problem. If you are processing your own just be sure to get the insulated boxes.

NO DRY ICE on the plane , FedEX or Checked.

Hi Grits, if you live near an airport you can also ship via Alaska Airlines. The cost is much less but you will need to be a verified shipper and be able to drop it off at an airport and pick it up at an airport that Alaska flies into. Good luck

Thanks fellas! That gives me some ideas.
    Grits

I shipped 14# of frozen salmon overnight with UPS this AM to California for $79.

wetlock boxes on Alaska airlines

As some have mentioned: If you are going to Seattle also (at the same time you are wanting to ship)- take the fish as checked baggage. The cost will vary according to the airline policy, but it is much cheaper. My wife and I brought home over 150# of salmon & halibut filets (4 boxes) this past August. As checked bags it cost $300. But if we would have shipped it with FEDEX it would have been $800.00. No problem with it thawing if you get it to a freezer in a reasonable length of time. The wife and I picked up our fish at 3 PM Alaska time and got it to our freezer at 2PM Missouri time (11AM Alaska). All pieces well frozen.

My family routinely travels to New England and we take fish boxes everytime. Take it as checked bags, it will stay frozen until you get home. Does Alaska/Horizon fly to Driggs or do you go out of Boise?
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

NOT FEDEX I CAN TELL YOU THAT! It's a 50/50 chance with them plus, its WAY expensive. Been there...done that...several times, have many T-Shirts.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Here is the deal. Ak Air has a Seafood Express rate of $.56 a pound. The only real glitch is you have to drop it off at Ak Air Cargo in Anchorage and it has to be picked up at Sea-Tac airport. If that works for you the price can't be beat. You drop it off in Anchorage, it goes right in the freezer, then when it gets to Seattle it goes right in their freezer. If you are not a known shipper it can only go on a cargo-only flight, of which there are 3 or 4 a week. If you are a known shipper it goes right out. I have done this for years and it has always worked great and the price can't be beat. You can find all the info on their web site

Grits
    FedEx to me is the cheapest. If you are flying to and from the best way to go is to take it as bagage on the airline. You need to keep them at 50lbs. do not go over. I or clients use to buy boxes at Fred Meyers or Safeway get the big ones, pack and tape the boxes yourself. Don't use dry ice if you have an air space use crumpeled up news paper to take up the space. Send it out FedEx 2nd day air. Do not go over night not worth it and your fish will be just as good going 2nd day air. Make sure your home to get it in the freezer. But like I said the best is to box it in the fish boxes that have the styrofoam in them tape them yourself and take them back when you fly as extra baggage. If you have to ship I take my fish to a bussiness called "The Packaging Store" and drop it off, they have the best rates about 2.50 a pound. So 50lb. box is around 150 bucks with box when all said and done. That is 2nd day air. I've done 1000s of pounds.

You can check rates from bussiness there not all the same. Some charge more than others go figure. The Packaging Store is cheaper than FedEx and it goes out on FedEx planes. They just cut a deal with them on moving freight. I've been to FedEx may times and have been quoted differant prices before from differant people. I quit dealing dirrectly with them. Just move our fish with them.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck on your trip.

Another trick is to bring your extra clothes(raingear,boots,gloves etc) up in a cooler(has handles for ease in carrying) ,pack with fish, check on as baggage, then send your clothes back usps 4th class.I try to have a roll of duck tape and a sharpie,with me in case i have any last min adjustments.Keep you weights at the limit,or you`ll make some skycaps real happy.Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by fishon View Post
    Another trick is to bring your extra clothes(raingear,boots,gloves etc) up in a cooler(has handles for ease in carrying) ,pack with fish, check on as baggage, then send your clothes back usps 4th class.I try to have a roll of duck tape and a sharpie,with me in case i have any last min adjustments.Keep you weights at the limit,or you`ll make some skycaps real happy.Good Luck
    Yes, it literally goes "by slow boat" when you ship parcel post; takes like 6 weeks. But you can do without your dirty socks and underwear that long, so this is a good move that does work; just watch the airline size and weight restrictions for checked bags so your cooler is less than that.

To become a known shipper you have to do an application and it takes a little while to get approved but it is a cheap way to ship. I bring fish back with me from Ketchican every year and bring it as luggage. I have shipped fish with the known shipper from Portland to Ketchican and 105lbs cost me about $68.00 last year. Not bad at all. You do have to pay some fees to be a known shipper.

This question comes up a lot on this site. I didn't read all the responses but I'll just give you an idea of what I did last time. I bought a cooler in Juneau and packed it full of fish and dry ice. It was relatively cheap on Alaska Air... i think $50.00... but by the time I made it home-some of the fish got a little warm.
    What I plan to do this summer is take the fish somewhere to get smoked and packaged in boxes. Then just check it like I did with the cooler. You're fish will keep better and you'll have less hassle. Plus-they know what they're doing... you'll never smoke the fish as well as they do... Lastly, I think your weight will be reduced after the fish is smoked.
    Just my $.02 worth.

Wow! Great ideas! Yeah, I will be going back to SeaTac (my wife's mom and my mom live in W. WA.) and we'll fill the freezers we keep at Mother in law's. Gonna check out the AK Air seafood express, and will have the food processed and Fl. Frozen before shipping. If that doesn't work then it will go as baggage on my flt down. Not really into sending ANYTHING FedEx. That company has gone into the Cra&&er in the last year (IMO). Probably avoid the Dry Ice gig altogether, since the flt is less than 4 hr.s (hopefully).

Just got word that my buddy that I am (was) coming up with is having some major health issues, and won't be making the trip, so will have less fish to bring back anyway.
    Thanks for all of the killer input.
    Grits

Sorry to hear about your buddy not being able to go that is too bad. Good luck on the deal and hope you have fun.

Here's my experience...

If the fish is frozen, you will need less dry ice to keep it that way if you ship 2nd Day. And the fish on the bottom doesn't have a chance to get too warm during shipment. Not sure about FedEx, but UPS has a 5.5lb limit on dry ice, and the carton must be clearly marked with "Dry Ice." I have bought styrofoam coolers, loaded up the fish and put the dry ice on TOP (remember, cold air sinks), then placed the cooler in a cardboard box (sold at any UPS shipping point) to keep the package in one peice, and sent it on its way 2nd Day air.

The fish always arrives still frozen (make sure you pack it so the cold air will get to the bottom). It IS expensive this way, and you may do better following the advise of others who find a processor to package and ship it, but if you are only shipping, say, less than 30 pounds, this always has worked for me. Good luck.