Thread: Anybody have any luck on the Pen?

Default Anybody have any luck on the Pen?

I have been out several times on the Refuge using a variety of calls. Have brought in plenty of ravens and eagles, but as yet, no cats or dogs. Anybody else having any luck?

Gotta say, this AM was just beautiful. Rosy sunrise, still and cold. Even if no predators, I felt fortunate to be out there in the silence.

Dang! 68 views and not one response. Either folks are aweful tight-lipped, or I'm the only one braving the elements.

As a first year caller I've been giving it a good go from early morning -2 degrees to -6 degree early evenings, covering north of Sterling to way out north road with nothing but the same eagles, crows and a hawk to show for it. Not giving up but feeling a bit discouraged. But I fully agree with being blessed to experience the perfect silence of deep Alaskan winter...

Quote Originally Posted by FootedShaft View Post
    As a first year caller I've been giving it a good go from early morning -2 degrees to -6 degree early evenings, covering north of Sterling to way out north road with nothing but the same eagles, crows and a hawk to show for it. Not giving up but feeling a bit discouraged. But I fully agree with being blessed to experience the perfect silence of deep Alaskan winter...
    Yeah, I'm a novice too Shaft. Wondering if I'm doing things right. I'll be out again tomorrow for an hour or two using my snow machine. My truck is having starter probs, so no traveling far afield for me right now.

Don't give up guys, I'm sure you're doing things right. You just need a set of ears within hearing distance of your distress sounds. Things were fairly "hot" for me a month ago, but have quickly changed since last week. I've made probably around 30 plus stands now since last week and haven't seen one animal come in. That's predator hunting up here though. Keep after them, it'll come together for you.

Default nothin

Since calling 2 cats in my first day out on the KP, I have been out a dozen times with no action. Still determined to keep at it though.

I went out one day about 3 weeks ago for about an hour, mostly for a walk. Called for about 30 minute and turned around and walked back to the truck since it was getting dark. On the trail about 50 yards from where I was (to my back) there was a set of canine tracks that weren't there when I walked in! Appeard to be small wolf sized. Thats the closest to success I've been, on my only trip out this year...

I've been out a couple of times in the past few days with no luck. I'm seeing tracks but can't get any bites calling. I usually just run around the swamp north of Kenai cause it's right down the road.

Its been said before & I'll say it again - due to the lack of prey densities in AK, our predators travel a large territory, to find food.
    1. You have to be calling within hearing distance of an animal to be sucessful - tracks are a good indication that animals are using an area,, but no garuntee that said animal is within hearing distance at any given time.
    2. It helps if the animal hasn't heard (& possibliiy responded to) a call within its recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Its been said before & I'll say it again - due to the lack of prey densities in AK, our predators travel a large territory, to find food.
    1. You have to be calling within hearing distance of an animal to be sucessful - tracks are a good indication that animals are using an area,, but no garuntee that said animal is within hearing distance at any given time.
    2. It helps if the animal hasn't heard (& possibliiy responded to) a call within its recent memory.
    Perhaps true in many years, but down on the pen we have a huge boom in hares this year.
    As for the memory re: calls, I've heard that before, but can't speak from experience.

I have not gotten out this season but I will be out after the new year with a new foxpro that I am currently saving for right now. I have been out in my area hunting rabbits and have seen a lot of cat and dog tracks out here so I am hoping for some good luck once the new year gets here. With the cold weather we have had the hides should be in great shape and I have plans for a cat or two if I can get them.
    I would like to take a trip to the west of the inlet and try to get some fox this year too but dont know if thats going to happen or not.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Perhaps true in many years, but down on the pen we have a huge boom in hares this year.
    As for the memory re: calls, I've heard that before, but can't speak from experience.
    Lots of bunnies THIS year, may mean lots of preds NEXT year. What was the prey population like last year?

Same thing still applies - if rabbits are everywhere, the predators may still be spread out. They can get a meal anytime they want.
    Even on the high end of the hare cycle, you still don't have the densities of food found in the lower 48. A dog or cat up here probably needs 2x's the territory of one in MT & 4x's of one in NM or AZ, in order to eat regularly. JMO.

Lots of bunnies THIS year, may mean lots of preds NEXT year. What was the prey population like last year?

Same thing still applies - if rabbits are everywhere, the predators may still be spread out. They can get a meal anytime they want.
    Even on the high end of the hare cycle, you still don't have the densities of food found in the lower 48. A dog or cat up here probably needs 2x's the territory of one in MT & 4x's of one in NM or AZ, in order to eat regularly. JMO.
    Good last year too. I'm thinking next year will be the peak of the cycle, which, if I hear correctly, will mean the peak for predators will follow by a year. Anyway, no lack of bunnies down this way, and judging by tracks, there are a few predators around too. That is all the excuse I need to freeze my ass off.

the critters are out there(THIS year). in numbrers too. just today i saw a wolf and to coyotes while driving my trap line.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Good last year too. I'm thinking next year will be the peak of the cycle, which, if I hear correctly, will mean the peak for predators will follow by a year. Anyway, no lack of bunnies down this way, and judging by tracks, there are a few predators around too. That is all the excuse I need to freeze my ass off.
    I got the freezing part down!

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    the critters are out there(THIS year). in numbrers too. just today i saw a wolf and to coyotes while driving my trap line.
    I know what you're saying. I've been seeing enough to keep my intrest up. Funny thing, when I started huting my favorite spot, there were a few hare tracks & lots of fox tracks. Now I haven't seen a rabbit track in weeks, but the foxes are still present. Been staying close to home.

during a boom year of rabbits, coyotes have been known to have TWO litters during spring/summer season.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    during a boom year of rabbits, coyotes have been known to have TWO litters during spring/summer season.
    maybe that's the way they do things in AZ, but I'd doubt that could happen here. the 2nd breeding couldn't take place until July (at the earliest), that would mean a litter of pups in September...... nope, ain't gonna happen.

I've seen plenty of tracks while ice fishing ... and lots of hares around no doubt.

Been out the last few days and have had no luck yet going to try and get a little farther off the road system tomorrow and try it for the day.