Thread: herring

Default herring

was wondering if you can catch your own herring for bait out of valdez in the summer time and if so how to go about? i think that is what a few boats were doing last summer when i was there but didn't want to go crowding in on someone. they were just outside the harbor.

It's super easy if you have a good sonar. Schools of bait show up well on any modern day sonar. A quick way is to look for diving birds, but often if you go as fast as your sonar will allow, you can usually find a bait ball.

Then use sabiki rigs that have 6 to a dozen small hooks on it and drop it to the depth you see the bait fish at.

Find the outflow from the processor and you will find herring. Catching them on those sabiki rigs is an absolute blast. It is hard to beat fresh caught herring for bait.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Deja vu..... Search for "herring" and you'll get lots of threads on this subject....

Right in front of the city dock is often a good spot for herring in VDZ.

fragile,
    Yes is the short answer. Right outside the harbor in Valdez is where I've done it. I don't think anyone would complain if you slid out there and drifted with them, I wouldn't anyway. It is fun, and got to like the fresh bait however, my biggest problem is doing that OR...buy them and head out to the real fishing grounds, so I've only done it a few times. Have fun!

thanks for the info guys will try it next year when we go

Best better if you catch them is to salt them down to make them last. They get real soft in a short time.

what size of sabiki rigs do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by fragile4 View Post
    what size of sabiki rigs do you use?
    We us hook size 8 and 10 which typically have 10 to 12 lbs test line. I have caught big herring in Seward though that could easily have taken much bigger hook sizes. Trying to remember exactly but they had to be 12 to 14 inches long and much thicker than similar sized trout. You get three or four on at a time, its like you have a salmon on except they don't run since they are pulling in all different directions. They pull down just as hard though.

While they make good bait, if you catch them any time other than the spawning season, they are super oily and are great eating...if you like oily fish. They do make the house smell like grilled herring for a while though....

Is there a trick to storing the sabiki rigs after use? It seems like they easily turn into a tangled mess and often just get used once before getting tossed. Is there a way to wrap them so they don't tangle?
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Is there a trick to storing the sabiki rigs after use? It seems like they easily turn into a tangled mess and often just get used once before getting tossed. Is there a way to wrap them so they don't tangle?
    I wrap them on the foam batting sticks for kids you can buy after I cut them down to size. Same as my tied leaders. There was a day when I was serious enough about catching big fish that I built a sabiki rod out of a short length of thin PVC pipe, taped a cheap reel to it, drilled some holes so the rig could be reeled up right into the PVC pipe like those rods where the line actually runs through the blanks. But then I decided that catching them on an ultra light rig was too much fun so I abandoned that idea. I will be the first to admit in the heat of fishing about 50% of my rigs get trashed after the first use.

Jim,

I use the foam floaties that the kids use while swimming. Cut a foot long section and wrap the rig around it, sinking the hooks as you go . It works well. B&J sells sabiki rod that allows you to reel the entire rig in through the blank. The problem is, you would need several due to the fact that catching those shiny fish is so much fun!

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I've never used this for sabiki rigs, but think it would work. I buy lengths of foam pipe insulation to wrap my salmon leaders on. You can stick the end of the leader in the slit and then just wrap the leader around and around until you get to the hook. I have aluminum rails inside my cabin for handholds and the pipe insulation fits very nicely around the handholds. When I want a leader I just pull the hook, pull on the leader and the insulation turns as I pull the leader off. Works like a charm.

Though I did get a nifty little Xmas present from a good friend that is pretty cool, too. It's a Cabela's item that's a tube wrapped in velcro with hook holds and you just put the hook in the hookhold, wrap the leader around it until you come to the end and then you can put a little velcro tab over the end of the leader. I'm going to glue velcro strips to the wall of my boat in places I need the leaders the most and just stick the leader holders to the wall where they are easy to grab when I need them. Way cool. Don't see why either of these options wouldn't work for sabiki rigs.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I too have hand rails inside the boat, but never thought of using them for that purpose. Thanks for the idea. Not sure if it matters but, do you know what diameter your rails are and the diameter of the foam?

thank again
    Boatless

If I am organized enough to do anything but throw them out, I usually drop them loosely (no coiling) into a ziploc bag and suck the air out before sealing. You will get a small tangle or two when taking them out of the bag, but nothing bad at all.

Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    I too have hand rails inside the boat, but never thought of using them for that purpose. Thanks for the idea. Not sure if it matters but, do you know what diameter your rails are and the diameter of the foam?

thank again
    I couldn't say exactly, but maybe 3/4" or 1" diameter rail and about the same for the foam. It works great!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com