Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “cyberspace expert hunters”

Default “cyberspace expert hunters”

Just think!
    If they (“cyberspace expert hunters”) would just "go away" one could:
    1. "blast away" at 300 plus yard at sheep (no need to to develop skills necessary to get closer - sheep "hunters" don't see a decrease in accuracy with distance - of course they are the only group that does not)
    2. just shoot - the animal is pretty close - probably will make it legally
    3. "blast away" then glass the area from camp to see if anything was hit
    4. not worry about conforming with the regs (they are pretty complicated) and really, who has the "time" to read them anyway?
    What I have not seen from the “cyberspace expert hunters” are comments like "did you wipe the mother's milk off its lips before taking the picture?", or, was the "sow sitting off a 100 yards and shedding tears as you skinned out that "dink"?, or that moose rack will look great in your 5x7 bathroom with the six foot ceiling . Certainly the vast majority of the comments I've read have referenced regulation issues and ethical issues directly associated with a resource concern.
    Joe

I have never in my life of hunting and hearing tales heard ANYTHING from anyone's lips that even resemble anything you espouse in your post.
    of course, I have never been out with a bear guide, either.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    I have never in my life of hunting and hearing tales heard ANYTHING from anyone's lips that even resemble anything you espouse in your post.
    of course, I have never been out with a bear guide, either.
    Well you might start by reading a number of the posts on this forum during the past couple of years.
    Joe

Default What??

Good observations Joe. I know If I made a comment like the "mother's milk" I'd be labeled an a hole for peeing on the guy's parade for showing off a 6' Kodiak sow. I just don't want the confrontation.
    Some people have to kill animals, not hunt them. I returned home after a fall Kodiak hunt four years ago without a bear people were expecting me to be bummed out, but I saw over 30 bears, saw bears every day, but didn't connect on one. I had one of the best two weeks of my life. I was happy.
    I've dealt with the killers being a guide too. Don't like them much.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

and as i try to teach my childeren who at this point are more interested in GETTING one.. then anything...

when we deside to kill something it is OUR JOB to do it right and humanly. it may not be the very first shot it drops.. but it should be the first one that counts.

be it a squirrle, hare, or a moose or bear. any job worth trying... is worth doing right the first time...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Just think!
    If they (“cyberspace expert hunters”) would just "go away" one could:
    1. "blast away" at 300 plus yard at sheep (no need to to develop skills necessary to get closer - sheep "hunters" don't see a decrease in accuracy with distance - of course they are the only group that does not)
    2. just shoot - the animal is pretty close - probably will make it legally
    3. "blast away" then glass the area from camp to see if anything was hit
    4. not worry about conforming with the regs (they are pretty complicated) and really, who has the "time" to read them anyway?
    What I have not seen from the “cyberspace expert hunters” are comments like "did you wipe the mother's milk off its lips before taking the picture?", or, was the "sow sitting off a 100 yards and shedding tears as you skinned out that "dink"?, or that moose rack will look great in your 5x7 bathroom with the six foot ceiling . Certainly the vast majority of the comments I've read have referenced regulation issues and ethical issues directly associated with a resource concern.
    Joe
    I think I missed something....

Default Cyberspace Expert Hunter

WantJ, your exactly that!

So joe, you think anything without a big rack makes somone an idiot, i guess in your opinion anyone who shoots a sub trophy moose is a joke?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Barkbuster20 View Post
    So Joe, you think anything without a big rack makes someone an idiot, i guess in your opinion anyone who shoots a sub trophy moose is a joke?
    i don't think Joe said that at all.. in fact just the oppisit..

meaning the criticism is more constructive then destructive for the most part.. were it not for some that ask Why a person did that.. or WHAT were they thinking when that action took place.. then there would be more of what he really dislikes and that is the careless-ness some folks regard the species they hunt..

Joe welcome to the video game era... if they miss, they hit restart and do it over till that level is mastered...

you guys wanna get sick? log on to Face book and LIKE several of the DEER HUNTING pages.. and see the stories...

" well i hit a nice buck" it ran.. i didn't find it.. oh well i will find another one tomorrow.. " unfortunately that attitude has made it to AK... just not on the forum... YET.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Barkbuster20 View Post
    So joe, you think anything without a big rack makes somone an idiot, i guess in your opinion anyone who shoots a sub trophy moose is a joke?
    Not at all.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i don't think Joe said that at all.. in fact just the oppisit..

meaning the criticism is more constructive then destructive for the most part.. were it not for some that ask Why a person did that.. or WHAT were they thinking when that action took place.. then there would be more of what he really dislikes and that is the careless-ness some folks regard the species they hunt..

Joe welcome to the video game era... if they miss, they hit restart and do it over till that level is mastered...

you guys wanna get sick? log on to Face book and LIKE several of the DEER HUNTING pages.. and see the stories...

" well i hit a nice buck" it ran.. i didn't find it.. oh well i will find another one tomorrow.. " unfortunately that attitude has made it to AK... just not on the forum... YET.
    That attitude has been around for a long time, and I agree it’s not right, but let’s not pin it solely on the new generation of young hunters. There are a ton of great young hunters out there (video game era folks), that should be given a little more respect. I know everyone's generations is better than the next, trust me heard from my grandpa, then my dad, and now I catch myself saying it to my brothers kids! On another post someone was talking about how the new generations of hunters aren't this that and the other, compared to the older generation. Fact is, there is better conservation today, higher standards of ethics (at least expected), better science, and a number of other things that are better than the "old days." Open some of the old hunting books, and see guys stacking critters like cord wood. Let's talk about the American Plains Bison......If we still hunted the way people did in the “old days,” there wouldn’t be an animal left on the planet. The attitude you talk about on the deer hunting pages of face book, are not new to this generation. Things like that have been going on for decades. The only difference is that there are so many ways to put information out there now. I’m not one for change, and I don’t like a number of things that have changed in my short life time, but there can be good things that come with change. So let's not to carried away here, and remember there are a ton of good "video game era" hunters out there. Hope I made some sense with my ramblings! Good thread though!

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    Well you might start by reading a number of the posts on this forum during the past couple of years.
    Joe
    Uhhhh.. I'm confused..

Why not put your thoughts in a thread with an actual discussion you disagree with so we can understand where your coming from in context to the conversation and add to the discussion? I don't mean to be rude, but IMO an off the wall rant used as a conversation starter in a new thread is just plain confusing - your examples (1,2,3 and 4) amount to a small minority of posts on this site.

Just my .02
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Uhhhh.. I'm confused..

Why not put your thoughts in a thread with an actual discussion you disagree with so we can understand where your coming from in context to the conversation and add to the discussion? I don't mean to be rude, but IMO an off the wall rant used as a conversation starter in a new thread is just plain confusing - your examples (1,2,3 and 4) amount to a small minority of posts on this site.

Just my .02
    I have an idea of what Joe is eluding to in this post and do know he has brought those thoughts up in the original posters threads with mixed reactions from the crowd on this forum.
    And item #1 happens a lot on here and even more off this forum. I have heard too many people talk about taking 500 yard plus shots at sheep because they could not get any closer due to terrain yet they never considered how they would get to the sheep or what would be left of it if they were able to connect their bullet with the sheep and make a lethal shot.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanOutdoorsman View Post
    Uhhhh.. I'm confused..

Just my .02
    Well, I agree, and I think the post was more than confusing. I dunno what he was talkin about, but whatever it was, I found it offensive.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Well, I agree, and I think the post was more than confusing. I dunno what he was talkin about, but whatever it was, I found it offensive.

Smitty of the North
    Not sure how something you didn't understand could be labeled "offensive"? Do you find the "Theory of Relitivetly" offensive?

Joe often asks questions of posters regarding their moral, ethical or lawful conduct as related in their post. He is then jumped on for asking such questions by others - I even believe he may have been referred to (once or twice) as an "arm chair hunter" or maybe even "cyberspace expert".
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    That attitude has been around for a long time, and I agree it’s not right, but let’s not pin it solely on the new generation of young hunters. There are a ton of great young hunters out there (video game era folks), that should be given a little more respect. I know everyone's generations is better than the next, trust me heard from my grandpa, then my dad, and now I catch myself saying it to my brothers kids! On another post someone was talking about how the new generations of hunters aren't this that and the other, compared to the older generation. Fact is, there is better conservation today, higher standards of ethics (at least expected), better science, and a number of other things that are better than the "old days." Open some of the old hunting books, and see guys stacking critters like cord wood. Let's talk about the American Plains Bison......If we still hunted the way people did in the “old days,” there wouldn’t be an animal left on the planet. The attitude you talk about on the deer hunting pages of face book, are not new to this generation. Things like that have been going on for decades. The only difference is that there are so many ways to put information out there now. I’m not one for change, and I don’t like a number of things that have changed in my short life time, but there can be good things that come with change. So let's not to carried away here, and remember there are a ton of good "video game era" hunters out there. Hope I made some sense with my ramblings! Good thread though!

you are correct sir. and that the availability of the technology does make it easier to see the mistakes and attitude... there are several forums out there that have excepted the fact that people loose deer regularly... and tell them better luck next time... those forums are also extremely heavy on the moderation and have members that have about a 5 word limit on the post... "thats tough, thanks for sharing" , leaving little room to educate and possible modify that way of thinking and hunting.... I should be flat out.. you loose your animal YOUR DONE! not go out again and again till you shoot one you can find...

constructive criticism as Joe is often called out for is well warranted in some cases... and i think IMO it helps others that are newer to think about their actions before it happens... or in the lest.. makes them think about what they post so that it is NOT offensive to others reading it...

meet on face book here

i was referring to the 4 main caveats of your post.

I have yet to EVER see any of Mr Want's post as constructive criticisms. They are always degrading, humiliating, and belittling an other hunters efforts. I have had personal experience with this type of rants from Mr Want. I even called him on the phone to try and talk with him civilly to try and under stand what I had done wrong on my hunt and all he could do was yell at me. I tried to explain, but he would not let me talk. I ended the conversation with nothing gained, except for a lot of disrespect for Mr Want and his attitude of being the know it all "BIG HUNTING EXPERT". Mr Want you may know it all but you sure do not know how to constructively communicate with people!
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

It seems this thread was started as a Puff and Pat session for an apparent case of low self esteem. Has no one posted a sub standard hunt recently for you to pick apart from the majestic hunter throne. You can dig one of mine up if you need some material. I've never killed anything near a trophy book animal. You wouldn't even have to put the doughnut down to pick mine apart. If this was the first thread I read from this forum, I'd think poor ethics would describe more hunters on here than not. The "mother's milk" and other cracks would likely come from friends and family anyway. So nothing's getting missed, we've got buddies for friendly ribbing and you for expert guidance in how inferior we are. God save the Queen.

There's a thread floating around with Joe's theories on packframes. One look at that was enough to convince me that, if Joe is in any direct or indirect way referring to himself as the "internet expert", he flatters himself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast