Thread: Specie selection - gardening

Post Specie selection - gardening

Hi,

Im pretty new to gardening, especially in a colder climate, so im curious which species to select when gardering up north. I'll probaly start with potatoes, tomatoes, onions, carrots and such, cause these species shouldnt be to hard to grow, right? and they provide solid nutritions.

About the species, i'll try to make a list, and update this thread/list while recieving new information about 'which species to select in AK'. With the input of many experiences and knowlegde we should be able to provide a solid list, for the beginner, such as myself!

Till now i've found the next information about the species:

Tomatoes : Starfire, Oregon Spring & Golden Nugget.
    Potatoes : Long white, Peanut, Reds, Norlunds & Kennebecks.
    onions : [usual species] - White, Red, Yellow onions.
    carrots : -

Other vegetables, and specie information about these, will be more than welcome and added to the list to get it complete...

Survivalist.
    ps: how can i edit a thread ones its submitted?

Welcome to the forum, survivalist. Been a long while snce I was in Holland. I miss the place. We have friends in Bimmel who used to live in Arnhem the last time I was there, and other acquaintances up north in Eelderwolde, near Groningen; a fellow I met in the Yukon Territory in the 70s.

The starfires you listed are nolonger available commercially, and I don't know anyone who stashed seeds for them. I wish I did. I'd get my hands on all I could take, if I could.

The oregon spring are similar to the starfires, though.

Spuds offer a great opportunity for experimenting with different types, as there's a wide variety of them, and I've yet to find any that don't grow here. The Swedish Peanuts will not likely produce the weight per plant you might want, nor are they quite as flavorful as some of the other fingerling varieties, but good rich organic nutrients can boost the flavor in most crops, too.

Carrots also like a nice, rich soil with lots of nutrients. We do Scarlet Nantes and Goldking here. Mostly Scarlet Nantes. More out of habit than anything. They do well for us.

I gave up on onions a few years back, for the most part. The garden here is too absorbent, (has too high a percentage of peat in it), and needs better drainage to support them. I know some folks who have much better luck than I did, however. They tend to like a nice sandy soil, from what I can tell.

Squash can do quite well in the sub-arctic, too. This last year I tried a hybrid called 'Table King,' claiming to be a Danish squash variety well-suited to smaller spaces. I must've gotten some freak genetics in mine, 'cause they took off, commandeered several adjacent beds, and produced some of the largest danish squash I've ever seen.

Other than that, the Black Beauty zuchinni squash is pretty common and will produce more zukes than you can give away to people you don't like.

There's also several varieties of productive of bush scallop squash that do well here.

Various cabbage hybrids also like our environment.

Spinach can be persnickety in the far norrth. Too much sun, too much dryness, too much wetness, too much nutrient (especially phosphorous or potassium) and it bolts fairly quickly, even the New Zealand bolt-resistant variety I tried the last couple of years.

LOTS of different veggies will do well here. They seriously thrive under the extended sunlight. Finding hybrids that offer short growing seasons to maturity, but that don't compromise on flavor, size, texture, etc. is the trick. And there's lots of them to pick from (no pun intended..)

Thanks for all that information!, very good to know, i've noted it and when im able to edit my thread i'll update my starting post!

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    Welcome to the forum, survivalist. Been a long while snce I was in Holland. I miss the place. We have friends in Bimmel who used to live in Arnhem the last time I was there, and other acquaintances up north in Eelderwolde, near Groningen; a fellow I met in the Yukon Territory in the 70s.
    Well they probably know the city(town) Apeldoorn, because its close by Arnhem and that's the place I'm currently living. Tell'm they made a very wise decision by moving to AK!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalist View Post
    Thanks for all that information!, very good to know, i've noted it and when im able to edit my thread i'll update my starting post!

Well they probably know the city(town) Apeldoorn, because its close by Arnhem and that's the place I'm currently living. Tell'm they made a very wise decision by moving to AK!
    just to let you know the post may only be edited the first 20 min it is up... and the kicker is that it needs to be saved in that 20 min to edit also.. so if you come back 18 min later, open the edit, and try to add or correct your post and it takes you 3 minutes.. you will not beable to save the changes..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think there was a mistake in our communication, survivalist. They're still residing in Holland, though I initially met them in Alaska. They stayed with us in Ak, and I've stayed with them in Holland, at their old place in Arnhem.

As far as I know, the other (third) fellow is still in the Eelderwolde/Groningen area as well, though the last time I contacted him when I was over there was about 15 years ago or so.

The two friends in Bimmel now have kids, and I speak with them at least once or twice a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    just to let you know the post may only be edited the first 20 min it is up... and the kicker is that it needs to be saved in that 20 min to edit also.. so if you come back 18 min later, open the edit, and try to add or correct your post and it takes you 3 minutes.. you will not beable to save the changes..
    Well, i have to find another way then. When the information is complete i'll start a new thread with all recieved information, so this one can be deleted..

Survivalist

I think there was a mistake in our communication, survivalist. They're still residing in Holland, though I initially met them in Alaska. They stayed with us in Ak, and I've stayed with them in Holland, at their old place in Arnhem.

As far as I know, the other (third) fellow is still in the Eelderwolde/Groningen area as well, though the last time I contacted him when I was over there was about 15 years ago or so.

The two friends in Bimmel now have kids, and I speak with them at least once or twice a year.
    I see, well its solved now, and thanks again for the given info!

You're welcome. Good luck with your garden. I find gardening to be one of those truly reciprocal endeavors that returns the effort that's put into it; care for care, nurturance for nurturance.

Default Source for Starfires...

The starfires you listed are nolonger available commercially, and I don't know anyone who stashed seeds for them. I wish I did. I'd get my hands on all I could take, if I could.
    Try here for Starfire tomatoes. There are other hits that seem to come up on google, too, though I know this vendor is good.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_starfire.html
    Last edited by peterthooper; 01-13-2011 at 15:22. Reason: Boneheadly left out URL link...

You can also get a moderator to edit a thread for you if you'd like. Just get ahold of myself or any of the other moderators, send us a link to the post in question, and provide us with the new text. We can do it for you fairly quickly in most cases.

As for species selection for a new gardener, this was my list for last year, which was my first ever.

Very successful
    -kale
    -green leaf lettuce
    -spinach
    -carrots
    -potatoes
    -bok choi
    -broccoli
    -cauliflower

marginally successful
    -zucchini (A very cool, wet summer led to most of my plants never getting pollinated)

unsuccessful
    -Onions (white, red, and yellow)

I'm going to try some different stuff this coming year, but overall I was very happy with my first year's results. Good luck with yours!

Thanks for the link, peterthooper.

The nursery where I traditionally purchased most of my starfires didn't think they were available anymore, so I didn'yt look for them. I had some luck with other heirloom and rare seeds going through West Coast Seeds in British Columbia last year, and know I'[ve seen the company name before that you posted. I'll see if they still have the starfires.

I did business, via the USPS, with several different seed sources/vendors last year as well, in locating other hard-to-find or heirloom items, and only found one source that failed me. Otherwise, I did okay, though I didn't bother to look for starfires, as, per my earlier mention, I assumed they were nolonger available.

Thanks again.