Thread: seward/whittier slip wait times

Default seward/whittier slip wait times

I know there is a thread on this somehere, but what is the typical wait for a slip in Whittier or Seward for a 20-26' boat? Longer wait time = me buying a smaller boat (20' Hewes Sportsnman or similar). Are they both year round slips or am I crazy thinking I can have a boat in either place 12 mths out of the year? Thanks in advance for the thoughts/advice.

From what I have heard from others, Seward is a year or less wait, and you can forget about whittier, unless they double the size of the harbor, then the wait time would probably be down to 5 years or so

Whittier slip in 5 years, I wish! I have been on the 27-34' list for years, and a couple of years ago got on the next size up as well (which is what I really need). The list is slow moving. I bet I am 15+ years out unless something changes.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Whittier slip in 5 years, I wish! I have been on the 27-34' list for years, and a couple of years ago got on the next size up as well (which is what I really need). The list is slow moving. I bet I am 15+ years out unless something changes.
    no, I said 5 years if they doubled the size of the harbor in Whittier, maybe even then more than 5 years

You will probably move up the Whittier list a few more notches since they are increasing moorage rates to rebuild the harbor. Price increases always irritate some to the point of leaving, which is good for wait list folks!!!

If you keep your boat in Seward all year you will get a tax by the Kenai borough and the the City of Seward .... hidden expense, sort of

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    no, I said 5 years if they doubled the size of the harbor in Whittier, maybe even then more than 5 years
    Sorry, I misread your post and now I agree with what you are saying. They could make Whittier a huge harbor and there would still be a waitlist.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I keep a slip in Cordova. If I need to bring the boat to whittier I put it on a trailer after the Harbor master closes, so they don't charge me for using the ramp that the state (we) paid to build. I already contribute 500 bucks to the nazi party that lets me park in their parking lot

I waited less than a year for my slip in Seward for my 24 foot boat. I don't leave it in all year, I take it out at the end of the season and power wash the hull and have the motors winterized, etc. I got a slip in Whittier about 20 years ago but let it go. Like PWS okay, but Whittier not so much. PWS is a beautiful place, first fished it in 1984, shrimping is pretty good but never got into the fish as consistently as in Seward.

PastorBob - it sounds like we've run the same routine though I started in Whittier a couple of years earlier. I got a slip the year they last expanded the harbor in 1982 and it took about 6 months to get a slip on F float for my 26 Tolly. I was on the B and C float wait list just before the spill when I got my big boat. I turned the B float right away but they wouldn't let me put it there as it was a foot or two too short, so waited about 2 years for the C float slip to turn. I sold the boat and moved off my 38 footer the day they opened the tunnel to cars in 2001 (it took 4 pickup loads, thankfully it was free that day!) and gave up the slip. By comparison, it took me about a year recently for the up to 32 ft. slip in Seward for my current boat. The thing I miss about PWS (besides the calmer water!) are the reds. I'm counting on dipnetting now rather than the usual spots out of Whittier. Seward is a good day boat location. If you want to go out and stay out on the boat or camp, PWS has Seward beat hands down IMHO.

Fish Witch - I would agree that PWS is better for camping or anchoring out. I used Surprise cove a number of times and I saw a black bear pulling halibut carcasses up the beach when anchored at Hive Island one time. And would spend the night anchored in the south arm of Eshamy Bay. But I never could consistently get into the fish. I would catch some along but the next time at the same place come up dry. Also my dive partner drowned just outside of Whittier.

I liked Whittier better back in the 80ís, many times I would boat and fish all day and not see another sport fisherman or boat. The commercial shrimper were pretty friendly and sometimes they would cook up the small ones and invite us on board. I still remember one deck hand that went by the nick name "He who never misses." Bread & Butter and I waited out a storm in Long bay one time; they werenít chartering then, just commercial fishing.

I really like overnighting in Taz basin out of Seward and Harris Bay is close by for some decent halibut fishing. Also overnighting in Agnes Cove when the Silver run is hot. I take the month of July off just to fish the Silver run. Good times.

PastorBob - I agree the 80's were the best times out of Whittier. Remember when the feds ran the train and you could get a beer in the bar car? Riding in the baggage car with the dogs - those were the days and we had the place to ourselves before the secret got out. We had king crab, dungies and threw the tanners back plus lots of spot, coonstripe and pink shrimp until the hatcheries started up. The recognition of how beautiful the Sound is was one of the biggest impacts from the spill IMHO.

I've done just as well on the salmon out of Whittier, even as good as Pony Cove at times for silvers and way better for kings back when Ester Island hatchery raised them. I got 5 kings in 45 minutes one time mooching across from Ester - what fun! Halibut though was a trip to the ocean if you wanted to stock the freezer.

Hope to run into you in Seward. My boat, Papi, is on B dock, the only Shamrock on the dock so don't hesitate to stop by and say hello.

Merry Christmas to all!

for 30' boat slip what are the fees for Whittier and Seward?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

A 30 foot slip in Seward is $1,408 per year.

Fish Witch - I'm at the very end of A dock. My boat is "The Jubilee." I'm still a full time pastor at Baxter Road Bible Church here in Anchorage, but we just hired John Carpenter (from channel two news) as our Associate Pastor and he and maybe one other will speak for me in July so I can take it off. During July I come back to Anchorage for Sundays but I don't have to spend time preparing for Sunday and that allows me quite a bit of free time during the week. John's a great guy and really likes to fish but he can come down during the week.

Obviously Seward would be the way to go with a slip, thanks for all the info. Have a new question... that is related, but still a bit different on boats.

5 years for a 28' and under slip in Whittier. There are 5x more 28 and under slips than 28-32. Anything bigger, go to Cordova.