Thread: Mystrery Bullet Mystery solved!

Default Mystrery Bullet Mystery solved!

So after procuring some strange looking 250gr round nosed bullets in 358cal and having great luck with them in my 35 Whelen I found myself down to my last eight. I had pulled them from a box of mystery handloads for the 350 Remington Mag. I kept the bullets for myself and gave the brass to a friend who shoots the 350RM. I knew that it said on the box they came in what kind of bullets they were but I couldn't find the box and suspect it was thrown out.

So going back to square one I determined to track down some more. I knew they were made on a Corbin swage so I put in a call to Pete Pi at Corbon to see if he could swage me some. "No problem" he says "but you'll have to buy the swage dies". Well it turns out that a set of dies for his setup is around 1200 bucks so that was a dead end, I don't like them that much.
    So there I was sitting in the can at work reading an old Handloader magazine from 1994. When it came to me, there it was on the page in front of me, Wyoming Bonded Bullets. The add even had a picture of one that looked just like the one I pulled out of my bear last fall, .81cal expansion, expanded back about halfway down the shank and 99% weight retention. So I got on the web and to my dismay found.... nothing. I figured they must certainly be out of business as everyone has a website these days, right? So figuring it couldn't hurt I decided to try the longshot, and call the nearly 20yr old phone number.

Lo and behold I got ahold of the guy, very nice gentleman, who also happens to be a very big fan of the Whelen. After chatting for a few minutes I found out that he is mostly out of the bullet business. But...... he makes one run every January for the old timers and locals who refuse to shoot anything else. And what, why he'll yeah I'll be your first new customer in 8yrs.
    Can't wait to get more of my new favorite funny looking little roundnosed bullets. It looks like the search for a 250 RN that I have some faith in is over at last. Bye bye Interlocks hello .035 pure copper jackets and pure lead cores.

Its good to hear you finally tracked down those bullets and have an order in or some good luck with them!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Yee' Hahhh.

Kid:
    Thanks for tellin us all that stuff.

It's interesting and educational, and good to know that we don't reely need mosta these new-fangled bullets.

The Old Fangled ones can work good too.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It looks like the search for a 250 RN that I have some faith in is over at last. Bye bye Interlocks hello .035 pure copper jackets and pure lead cores.
    When that source dries up, as it sounds like it will sooner or later, check out Hawk Bullets. They're .035 pure copper and pure lead at $40/50. They even make them with .050 jackets at $52/50, but you have to buy 4 boxes at a time because they're a custom run. Want a 275 or 300 grain version? They're your source too. I've been delighted with them in every caliber I've tried.

All of these are essentially Barnes originals, so if you ever run across used sources of those, you might beat the price some.

Now that's a cool story kid! i'll bet you made that fella's day.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Been thinking about Hawk as well Brownbear, mostly on your recommendation. I like the looks and construction and in fact the guy I'm buying my order from is a friend of the guy who owns Hawk, he reccomended them as well. My only problem was that as I understand it Hawk doesn't offer the extremely blunt round nose, and my rifle has a hard time stabilizing a 250 spitzer, the Hawk round tip may work, but I like the old parallel sided round nose design. In fact they remind me in profile of the old Kynoch Rn for the 333Jeffery or 318WR, albeit much shorter and minus the steel jackets.
    And I would absolutely love to shoot some 275gr bullets as I think they seem like an ideal weight for the 35cal, but I just don't think my little Whelen will stabilize them. Old Elmer sure spoke highly of the 275s in the Whelen, I beleive he even killed a grizzly with one shooting 275 grainers from Western Tool and Cooper Works.

And Soldier I think he made my day as much and probably way more than I made his. Either way I'm a happy camper.

I haven't tried the Hawk .358 250 RN's, so I can't comment either way. I can say that your insights on the "technology" of the build are right on the money. I used the original Barnes for many years and the Hawks since. Guys who haven't tried them are missing the boat when they think a thick pure-copper jacket acts like gilding metal. That's kinda like saying two people are alike cuzz they wear the same color of shoes.