Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What size ice auger for mat-su valley lakes?

Default What size ice auger for mat-su valley lakes?

I am looking to getting a new gas ice auger and am debating if I should get an 8in or 10in. The price is very similar between the two, I am looking at the strikemaster with the solo motor. Any pro's or con's of the strikemaster augers. I am looking to spend under $400. Also, I am looking to get a pop up shelter and debating between the eskimo quickfish 3 or the 4. The size of the 4 looks great, but it seems really bulky. I have 4 little boy's and would like to have room for 3-4 people. I will mainly fish with 2-3, but may occasionally will have 4. Any opinions. Thanks

10inch and get the big pop up your boys will grow over ther off season.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    I am looking to getting a new gas ice auger and am debating if I should get an 8in or 10in. The price is very similar between the two, I am looking at the strikemaster with the solo motor. Any pro's or con's of the strikemaster augers. I am looking to spend under $400. Also, I am looking to get a pop up shelter and debating between the eskimo quickfish 3 or the 4. The size of the 4 looks great, but it seems really bulky. I have 4 little boy's and would like to have room for 3-4 people. I will mainly fish with 2-3, but may occasionally will have 4. Any opinions. Thanks
    How big are your boys? I know that sounds like a silly question, but last winter when I took my little ones out, my 3 year old, then a 2 year old girl came awful close to walking right into one of those holes when I wasn't watching. I was kinda glad I had an 8" instead of the 10" blade. I doubt you are going to catch anything through the ice locally with a girth over 8". So I see no reason for a bigger one. However, it might be kinda nice when you are sitting in your shanty, because you can see down your holes in a shanty, and a bigger hole will give you greater visibility of the fish in the holes. As far as the hut goes, I have an Eskimo quickfish. I am not quite sure what size it is. I would guess about 6 feet by 6 feet. It gets pretty cramped real quick. You can only fit about 2 people in one of those things comfortably and still fish. My buddy just bought the double Eskimo quickfish. It is just like the older model, but longer. It is basically like having two huts side by side. If you can afford it, that would be the way to go with all your boys.

My boy's range in age from almost 2 to 11. My concern with the 10 in auger is them stepping in the hole, especially in the confined spaces of a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by lgall View Post
    My boy's range in age from almost 2 to 11. My concern with the 10 in auger is them stepping in the hole, especially in the confined spaces of a tent.
    Drill the holes in the corners to keep them out of the way.

If you are fishing multiple holes, I think it is easier to keep track if they are in a row along one edge. That way the little ones have half the shelter that they don't have to worry about. As for the auger I have never hooked any thing that wouldn't fit through an 8" hole.

I sure was nervous when I had my young kids around a ten inch auger hole for sure. But a ten inch auger is much better if you plan on doing any type of sight fishing. A ten inch auger has 50% more surface area than an 8 inch. The disadvantage is that a ten inch auger is a lot heavier and it takes a lot more effort and time than a 8 or 6 inch auger.

Default pop ups and augers

Amazing how quickly you can fill a popup. I fished in a Quickfish3 with one other guy and it seemed full to me. A friend bought the quickfish4 this year and said he was pretty full up with two guys and his two mid-sized dogs. I bought a quickfish6 this year with the intent of being able to fish two guys and have all four of our dogs in there. Just spent the weekend with my 3 nephews. It's incredible how quickly the grow up. They'd take up adult sized space. I'd recommend the quickfish6 for your situation.

As for augers, 8 inch will cover you unless you are targeting BIG fish. That extra 2 inches can make a real difference when trying to get the head of a bigger fish started up the hole. I know this more from watching videos than actually catching big fish.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Amazing how quickly you can fill a popup. I fished in a Quickfish3 with one other guy and it seemed full to me. A friend bought the quickfish4 this year and said he was pretty full up with two guys and his two mid-sized dogs. I bought a quickfish6 this year with the intent of being able to fish two guys and have all four of our dogs in there. Just spent the weekend with my 3 nephews. It's incredible how quickly the grow up. They'd take up adult sized space. I'd recommend the quickfish6 for your situation.

As for augers, 8 inch will cover you unless you are targeting BIG fish. That extra 2 inches can make a real difference when trying to get the head of a bigger fish started up the hole. I know this more from watching videos than actually catching big fish.
    Hey Carnivore, you gotta picture of that quickfish 6 handy? You were the buddy I was referring to in my post mentioned above. I couldn't think of the name of it, so I just called it a double side by side. That would be an ideal hut for a family of 5.

The 6 is the one that looks like two huts stuck together. I have a brand new one still in the packaging at home, bought it to take the kids out last year. Looks like it will still be brand new come next season! Me and my 3 boys (3,5,7 at the time) sat in it for a while screwing around at SW before we decided that we had to have it!

Default quickfish6

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Hey Carnivore, you gotta picture of that quickfish 6 handy? You were the buddy I was referring to in my post mentioned above. I couldn't think of the name of it, so I just called it a double side by side. That would be an ideal hut for a family of 5.
    Here it is set up in the driveway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get the 10" auger. If you are worried about the boys falling into the hole make a reducer out of plywood. You could even make it big enough for a rod holder.

How long to set up the quickfish6 vs. the quickfish3? I just had the wife pick up a quickfish3 for us today and doubt I will ever fish more than 2 holes out of it. Should I keep it or upgrade with a family of 5? I was assuming it said quickfish3 because you could fish 3 holes out of it. Like others said, if you drill 'em on one side, I feel that would be enough space for kids sit and stay warm....maybe I'm wrong...

The problem with the 3 is that if you are using airplane jigs, big spoons etc.... the holes are too close together and the lures may tangle. I have had 3 holes going, 2 with people jigging and 1 with my Fishtv. On a clear ice day, you can watch how close they get to each other and work around it.

hunt_ak; I can't see the set up being more than a few seconds longer on the 6 than the 3. A big thing for me was making sure I had space for the buddy heater along w/ the whole family and now the dog. The boys and I all climbed in the 3 but it would be tight and I want to stretch out and have the cooler (beer) close at hand! Somewhere in my garage is my QF6, I could get you a phone number if you want to borrow it and see what you think. My BIL is house sitting for us so he could let you get in to get it. Just be warned that my whole life got stuffed into that garage in the 1 week my wife had to get ready to move the family down to AL. Needless to say "organization" was second to making it all FIT! I am sure she could narrow it down to what quadrant of the space it is in...<grin>

What about wind? Ever need to tie one down? Maybe I should just buckle-down and get the 6 man....

How does the 6 man compare to the 3 man collapsed and stored up?

Back to augers...the wife also picked up a 8" Eskimo hand auger for $40. I figured I can get $40 worth of holes drilled with it before I get sick of dealin' with it....

I bring so much crap that I can only put 2 maybe 3 tops in my quickfish 4. I love the height but worry about it in the wind. Still it's great to be able to stand up and jig being 6'4" it's the only one I own I can really do that in. I have both the 10 and 8 inch augers. Love the big holes on my ten but use my 8 far more often. I actually stepped in one of my 10 inch holes and it hurt like h#$%! Nearly ripped the bunny boot right off jerking it back out! My advice is don't be stupid like me and put a hole right next to your snowmachine.... A couple of "pops" later and you might forget it's there.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    What about wind? Ever need to tie one down? Maybe I should just buckle-down and get the 6 man....

How does the 6 man compare to the 3 man collapsed and stored up?

Back to augers...the wife also picked up a 8" Eskimo hand auger for $40. I figured I can get $40 worth of holes drilled with it before I get sick of dealin' with it....
    It is real quick to set up - like a couple of minutes - excluding tie downs. It has six tie down lines for wind. I expect I'd want to put one of the narrow sides into the wind. Not a real big price difference to upgrade to the six. Not that much more to store either. If you think about it you are only adding two more of the short wall sections and one roof section to the entire package.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    Here it is set up in the driveway.
    How deep did you have to go for decent fishing?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    How deep did you have to go for decent fishing?
    I bet it was hell on the auger bit!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast