Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food/Sheep hunt

Default Food/Sheep hunt

Alright, did a search in Archives and didn't find the answer I was looking for. Down here in Seattle and the internet connection at the hotel SUCKS. So, would you recommend the the regular MH meals, most of which are 2 servings, or the newer vacuum packed ones that are a little lighter and less bulky? Was at REI today and was going to buy the vacuum packed ones but then realized the cal/oz wasn't as high as the others. There are three of us going together on this hunt, if it makes a difference.

Do most of you eat one of the old two serving MH or do you you split?

Also, while I have your attention, buy a Jetboil or not for the hunt?

Thanks,

WD

Best to practice first. Go hike and see if you eat the whole 2 serving mountain house. Depends on what else you are eating and how hard you are hiking. Sometimes I have to force myself to eat because I am so tired from hiking. Also want to find a MH that you like the taste of and agrees with your stomach. Some people like the jet boil. Practice again with that. See how much fuel you will need. Do a few practice overnight hikes/scouting trips. Make sure your gear is up to the task ahead.

when hunting we have always had one two serving mountain house meal per person and never have trouble getting it down. Used a jetboil for the first time this past hunting season and it was great. highly recommend one.

I eat one of the so-called 2 serving non-vacumm packed MH's per day easy. Plus I add 4 tablespoons of olive oil to it for an additional 500 fat calories.

Stove- I finally broke down and went with a canister stove this year for simplicity and weight savings, etc. I wanted a stove/pot for 2 guys. I bought a MSR Reactor and the thing is the bomb. It boils (full rolling boil) a full liter of water in 3 minutes flat and will do that in high wind. No exposed flame and quiet as well. That's enough water for 2 of the 2 serving mountain houses. Or coffee and water for oatmeal for breakfast. I think the Jetboil does half a liter in 2 or 3 minutes. It seems the Jetboil is a great solo unit but I think the Reactor is better for 2, or even 3. The pot is 1.5 liters. The stove and pot weighs 17ozs. 2ozs more than the Jetboil. I weighed it on a digital scale at the store before I bought it. Works great for windy spots like this. Just another option to consider. Lots of guys like the JetBoil though.

I have never understood the need for a Jet boil? That thing is heavier than MSR pocket rocket and what is the upside? You get to eat your food a couple of minutes earlier? So what.

Have used a MSR pocket rocket for solo hunts in the Brooks, Chugach, and Alaska Range. I have never wanted anything more than a hot meal provided by a lightweight heating source.

I use only the single portion MH meals (Pro Pack) and have found them to be plenty. I have also worn a heart rate monitor during my sheep hunts and have recorded burning 6500 cals on average a day sheep hunting.
    I have yet to feel that I am not eating enough.

Your mileage may vary......get out and give it a try before season and use what YOU need.
    Good luck!

I am probably a good bit larger than the average mountain hunter and I easily eat one of the 2 serving packs per day. Heck I will finish mine and clean up a buddies leftovers on top of that if given the slightest opportunity!

Yep, one MH per day, (the 2 serving one) I also supplement that with some land jaeger ( salami type hunters stick made from Mat valley meats) cheese, gu gel paks, couscous, trisquits, and chocolate.
    Yeah, the jet boil is worthless (IMO) ....like finley, I go with a pocket rocket, one canister of fuel all stored inside a GSI pot, very compact and lighter.
    If I wanna do a quick solo hunt...no cook foods for me, all open and eat stuff, no fuel,no stove, or cook pot .......

looks like alot of support for the jetboi?????????????
    I ♥ Big Sheep

dinner resized.jpgCrab resized.jpgI only eat mountain house if someone gives it to me, and even then, somewhat reluctantly. I'm a bit of a snob. And, I'll only eat it with a mittfull of couscous and a generous glop of olive oil in it. As is with no oily augmentation, it's too foofy (if that's a word) - kind of like chinese food - fills you up but nothing really there.

For dinners I make a seasoning/gravy mix using an online recipe found after googling "homemade hamburger helper". I throw a handful of dry veggie soup mix from Carrs (straight dried veggies, no seasoning, way cheaper than the packaged freeze-dried "just veggies" at the store) and 1/2 lb (pre-cooked and pre-dried weight) of moose burger that's been browned and dried in the oven 'till it's like gravel into the pot with ~2 cups of water and a big glop of olive oil (2-3 oz). I bring this to boil, add noodles, and simmer for ~10 minutes. Then it sits for another 5-10 while I relax and warm my hands over the pot.

Or, lipton/knorr noodle sides with a foil pack of meat - either crab, tuna, or chicken. These are pretty good too.

Not as instantaneous as freeze dried, but way satisfying.

Stove - MSR simmerlite with 22oz fuel bottle. I think I can get away with the smaller 11oz bottle solo. Even with all the simmering, I had ~half a bottle left this year. Haven't tried the canister route yet, and am not sure I plan to.

Breakfast is logan bread, lunch is logan bread, ry-krisp, smoked salmon tails (hard smoked and dry), and cream cheese, pre-sleep snack is a big handful or three of costco trail mix.

Make your own "gu" using brown rice syrup, barley malt, maltodextrin, honey, and agave nectar. Carry this in the Coghlan's food tubes.

http://www.summitpost.org/home-made-...or-less/239378

Go with the two serving size for yourself. While you're down there get some of the MH blueberry oatmeal breakfasts they sell...spendy but much better than the instant Quaker oats packages.

Are you going with Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Go with the two serving size for yourself. While you're down there get some of the MH blueberry oatmeal breakfasts they sell...spendy but much better than the instant Quaker oats packages.

Are you going with Dave?
    Austin - Yep, Dave and Davey. THanks for the info. Looks like I'll be heading back to REI. PM me know if you need anything from down here. We'll be sending up a load on the barge.

Thanks for all the replies so quick. Some great info here. The 6500 Cal is impressive. Good to see some definitive data like that. Glad I held off on the Jetboil. I saw it on several gear lists and thought that was the ticket.

Kahahawai- sent you a PM.

-WD

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am probably a good bit larger than the average mountain hunter and I easily eat one of the 2 serving packs per day. Heck I will finish mine and clean up a buddies leftovers on top of that if given the slightest opportunity!
    Haha I'm only a 155lb mountain hunter and I eat the two servings and if given the chance finish off my partners to,it seems I can never get enough food in me on a hunt until a sheep hits the ground!

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    looks like alot of support for the jetboi?????????????
    I borrowed a friend's Jetboil for a few days a while back. I was very impressed: fast boil times, fuel efficient and easy to use. I think it's made for boiling water, not good for fancy cooking because it's narrow pot. Canister stoves tend to be less than ideal in very cold conditions.

Here are some reviews at Backpackinglight. Note the one scathing review of the Jetboil is by a famous long-distance hiker. His main problem is the weight of a Jetboil vs and alcohol stove system. That's why I carry an alcohol stove too, but they aren't for everyone.

I don't know on the freeze-dried foods. I think they are great, but I nearly always go with selected grocery store foods.

My wife and I almost always eat a MH granola and blueberries (1 for each of us) for a late breakfast as we're hunting at sunrise, and our evening meal is a two serving MH meal (again 1 each). My wife weighs 120 lbs and generally has no problem finishing 2 servings. You've got to fuel the fire!

WhiteFish

thanks buck, review had some great info
    I ♥ Big Sheep

What about breakfast meals?
    Are the Mountain House breakfast meals meals good or great or terrible?
    If you do not eat mountain house breakfast meals on week long sheep hunts, what other alternativs are there besides oatmeal?

Default Check out your breakfast food aisle!

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    What about breakfast meals?
    Are the Mountain House breakfast meals meals good or great or terrible?
    If you do not eat mountain house breakfast meals on week long sheep hunts, what other alternativs are there besides oatmeal?
    I think just about all the Mountain House meals are great. But I was walking in the mountains all summer and I don't think I ate more than 3 freeze dried type meals all summer. For breakfast I'll walk down the "cereal aisle" and see what looks good. I rarely eat Poptarts at home, but they are pretty handy and easy to eat out in the field. I commonly eat cold cereal, focusing on the dense cereals (maybe dense Grapenuts instead of "fluffy" corn flakes) if I'm backpacking. Granola bars or energy bars are good. Oatmeal is a staple for good reason, but I'll mix it up with other hot cereals. Granola and dried fruit such as raisins are good. Bagels with peanut butter. Whatever food looks good, will keep well, is fairly calorie dense, and doesn't have much water in it. Water is heavy and there's plenty out there in the field.

I'm on the smaller side (6'1", 170 lbs). I eat 2 packs of instant oatmeal each morning along with some coffee (made in my jetboil with the french press), then ramen noodles for lunch, and the 2 serving mountain house for dinner. I supplement this with various snacks throughout the day. I have ended up with Cliff bars. I bought a big pack at Costco this year, all of the flavors agreed with me and it was about 1/2 the price of other stores. Trail mix, jerky, and other snacks as well. I try to stick to the rule of 100 calories per ounce of weight for everything. I think the only place I fall short here is on the jerky, but there is a lot of protein there and it tastes good. I always bring extra spices for my mountain house meals. I also bring nuun tablets for my water. They don't have any sugar, so they aren't as heavy as gatorade type mixes, but they do make my water taste better, provide electrolytes, etc. I recommend only using the kona cola for playing tricks on people you don't like. Citrus and berry flavors are good though.

Breakfast- Salmon strips and peanut butter. Maybe meat sticks. Pop tarts if it is early in the hunt. Get up and go before anything is going.
    Lunch- Take Jet Boil and heat up water and make Starbucks Via instant coffee packets, with that latte coffee oatmeal and you get caveman gruel that will put a certain spring in your step.
    Tea- Break out the Lipton or Earl Grey and have Megapower bar covered in peanut butter.
    Supper- Take Three different kinds of MH and mix it together. Chili Mac, Spaghetti and Meat Sauce and Beef Stroganoff put in in one bag with raimen's revenge(Veggie packets) with a bit of oil added in the 1L waterbottle that I cook with.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Hey Stickeen,

This year all we took for 12 days was MH, Cliff Bars and Gel Cubes. We had a couple other protein bars thrown in but they were crap and not even worth remembering. It is simple and it works. Cuts way down on eating time. I eat 4 bars, 1 MH and 2 pkgs of cubes per day. Lost a little weight but it did the trick. Killed a 15 yr old ram and a nice mt. bou this year so it works lol!!

I have very boring Northern tastebuds. I like the MH lasagna and the Beef/Potatoes. My new favorite is the Chicken Breast/Potatoes. Take a little seasoning salt and tobasco and you're good to go.

Cliff Bars were all good. Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, Brownie. The brownie was my least favorite.....probably because it looks like a turd.

I'm not a "performance" kinda guy but we took the Cliff Cubes as our "candy" this year. I'm telling ya....these things work. I hate (love) that burning feeling in the legs and these made it go away. Lots of water and these are the hourly snack for me now.

I'm with Vek on the stove. Every man should own a good multi fuel stove. I've used a MSR Dragonfly (I think it's called) for years....been toying with the idea of the Optimus Nova lately though. I kinda like stoves :-)

tm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast