Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What in-the-field Troopers contacts have you had this past year

Default What in-the-field Troopers contacts have you had this past year

Thinking back, I've had a lot of contacts with Wildlife Troopers while in the field in the last 12 months:

- I was license-checked at a time I was neither hunting nor fishing nor had been (I was gathering firewood). I didn't have to show'm but I did, thinking it would help the Trooper by giving him another "contact" to record in his shift log.

- I was licensed checked while dipnetting. Fins clipped, permit marked for all concealed fish, I was reminded to record the fish that were in the open before cooler-ing or moving; I finished the sentence for the trooper to let him know I did know, and I would.

- I contacted the troopers by cellphone to let them know a group (J & C) I had been hunting next to was quite probably in trouble since the water had risen dangerously.

- The next day I stopped to talk to the trooper that was there on the spot - I mentioned J&C were likely in trouble. Very helpful guy and nice too; he license-checked me. I had screwed up by not signing my hunting license and also by not writing down a drawn-permit number on that license. He asked me to do that right away and I did (I guess that would be called a verbal warning). Then he asked me if I wanted a half full can of gas he'd found floating down the river; it had "JM" on it and I told him that this pretty much meant J&C WERE in trouble like I'd voiced. I took the can. Then he went and found party J&T who were also in trouble due to high water and who'd I'd helped 2 days previous, to assure they were not in current danger.

- I put JM's gas can next to his truck.

- The next day J&T killed a wheeler; I offered to guide their rescue crews in to their site. Two separate crews came and I got'm both there. But wheeler still dead. I called this in to the troopers to appraise them.

- The next day I pulled T's dead wheeler out and 10 miles back to their truck, almost flipping my 700 Grizzly. Close call. I call troopers again to let them know J&T are out OK now, but J&C still missing. Troopers say they'll flyover.

- The next day J&C appear, pulling a dead wheeler (high water and flipover ate it). They tell me they'd wished they'd told someone they were back there, just in case; I told them I had called the troopers and now they need to, so trooper flyover doesn't waste needless gas. They needed gas so I told them where I'd put their gas and they used that. Their trailer ball was cross threaded on the dead wheeler so I give them the ball off my wheeler and shadowed their successful retrieval of their trailer.

I'm pretty happy with the troopers, myself. Though as you can see I was not mistake-free. Every one of them were great to meet and talk with. I always seek them out to exchange info about hunters and game each of us have seen. Very helpful and professional.

was check bear baiting. Guys were nice just asked us some basic question and then they were on there way.

I was checked ice fishing with the family last winter... license check and on his way.

I was also checked on Denali Hwy. driving out after a successful hunt by a pair... checked license, checked tags, looked at critter, asked some questions and apparently satisfied we were compliant were on their way.

Both contacts were very professional and relatively brief.

Well the only trooper I saw was up in chicken we are on our sleds guns overour back cruising down the road we go o e way he goes the other. I really thought he pull over check us and shoot the bull. But he just kept going headed back to tok...

FM, Don't forget the Moose head on the river bank. Surely you call the Troopers on that one! Ha ha
    Just playin!

Merry Christmas!

I can't recall being checked -one- time this past year. Hmmmm.. I guess FM got all of mine. Thanks, FM... I owe you one... or more...

Default About the same as every year

Seems like I always get checked out Spring Bear hunting in Prince Willy. I did not get checked as much on the Nushigak this year because the river was shut down for Kings. Then the usual check out in Kbay for halibut. The only new one was up in the Brooks sheep hunting. Brand new built from a data plate super cub. Nice Trooper with an awesome plane.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have never even seen a trooper while in the field hunting, only on the road system, when i was heading down the denali, i stopped to ask a few questions about the area, never even had my license checked, even though i had game in the trailer? now during fishing season thats a different story! i was fishing off of sheep creek, and had my license checked on the hour every hour till i took off, it was realy enoying and kinda ruined the outing, telling the trooper that i just had it checked wasnt good enouph, and on top of it one of the troopers kept my license after talking to me and walked off with it,i didnt even notice till i was checked again later, and he had to call the other trooper to bring my license back, and confirm i did have one. I almost got a ticket for not haveing a license on me, and it wasnt even my fault. after the whole thing happened i figured i just wanted to go home, the kings werent there yet anyway! that has been it for the last 2 years

I got checked while bear hunting across the inlet this spring, the Trooper did a flyby in his cub then sat it down right next to us. Nice guy and a great pilot!

Got checked while set netting on Bristol Bay this past summer. Trooper just asked us if we had our licenses and id. on us we told him we did, and he commented that it looked like all our gear was properly marked. I had the trooper give my crewman (typical 20 year old) a tongue lashing about never wanting to wear his PFD. Talked a little about brown bear hunting. A good experience.

Back in the late 90's I was harrassed on dozens of ocassions while camping around the Kotzebue Sound, by the Flyin' Brown Shirt up this way, about each week , sometimes twice, being some BS accusation or "Just checking on ya, so everybody out , lets see the firearms and licenses" just like the week before...... at 4 am kinda stuff. The wife and kids have somekinda memories about that crap.....
    It didnt stop till I decided ("cause we was "Frendly" by then) to stop by his house and just "Check on him too" , you know, like "Frendz" do....... walls in his home were coverd in mounts and skins.....nice wife he had, though he wasnt home, far nicer and more honest than her husband was, made great coffee.....never did see him again either.......

Besides his rude, jelouse "Ive got bigger, better and more" storys and dikk in one hand, pistol in the other attitude, I just didnt like 'em much, no matter how hard I tryed........

The last couple have been most helpfull , honest and cool, something I can go with

Before him or since, Ive never even seen a Trooper in the wild......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I talked with a trooper on the willow side of hatchers. Nice guy, saw my rifle, stopped to talk.

Never got checked, actually last time I had any real contact with a wildlife trooper was probably 3-4 years ago. Very nice guy, he check our licenses out on the rex trail for that cow hunt. Met him again(same trooper) the next year near Healy, actually we stopped him to see if he had any regulation books for us to have, lost mine. Had a trooper "buzz" us after a moose kill, checking us out, but he flew off after a few buzzes.

Had a Trooper land his supercub in the middle of "no where" while sheep hunting, and check me, and my son's hunting license and stuff.....pretty cool, nice to see them out and about.

I get checked every year at sheep. Trooper is always nice, glad to see him out there.

Had an interesting conversation with two Brown shirts who showed up along side my boat, Way out west on Kodiak, in November, and it was Real Cold that morning,.....running their high end skiff in NW 40 knot winds that day.
    Welcomed them on board, offered to show licenses before they had to ask, we helped them with some nuts and bolts they needed for the top of their console cover that was coming loose in the wind that morning.
    Was actually a pretty cool time with those guys, seriously tough guys, I could appreciate.

They came in got warmed up, listened to our story of losing a Deer to a Sow and Cubs the day before, pretty impressed that my buddy had punched his tag on that Deer,...expediently,

what was real interesting to me was that the guy recognized me from my AOD Forum story on a Raspberry Elk Hunt.....

Turns out he had been camping out within a few hundred yards of me the day before the opener on Raspberry, had watched my Father in Law harvest two deer the next day from up on the ridge above

But was amazing to me that I did not ever see him, nor did he see me in several days hunting, we talked about the other guys in the field, he knew where everyone was but me.(I think anyway) Yet we were very close to each other the entire time.

Never had imagined them going covert to watch a Hunt opener like that,.....
    from his account it seemed he was watching everyone from above, just keeping an eye out
    I felt they were really watching out for the Bears as much as anything else in the Kodiak area

So anyway that was the FIRST time I have been checked in the field while hunting,
    but I do hunt really remote country all of the time.
    Now, Commercial Fishing, checked many times, They are ALWAYS COOL in my opinion, never met a bad one out on the water yet
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default oops more contacts, and the point in all this

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    FM, Don't forget the Moose head on the river bank. Surely you call the Troopers on that one! Ha ha
    Just playin!

Merry Christmas!
    I did not.... do you think I should have???

Also, I forgot - I did call the troopers after I ran over that moose a month or so back too. And I'm pretty sure I got checked one more time than I can remember right now, just this past year.

I had a couple of points in making this thread:

1) I think I have more Trooper contacts than most; so far posts have confirmed that. Part of that is that I do try to have contact with them when afield, but also vice versa it seems to me...

2) And that I too have been "caught" by the troopers for failing to validate my permit. I read the regs more than most, and know them better than most, but I make mistakes sometimes. Never ill-intentioned ones, and never ones that negatively impact habitat or game, but run afoul of the by-the-book laws I do, nonetheless.

3) I think there should be a clear line in the sand drawn between the very few people that will hang a rifle out the truck window.... etc.... and those that manage to break some of the fine-print laws we have. I mean, do we really want no one to hunt except the lawyers? Hunters need to stick together better than we do, presently.

That's my 6 cents worth.

Default Driving Red, FamilyMan ?

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post

3) I think there should be a clear line in the sand drawn between the very few people that will hang a rifle out the truck window.... etc.... and those that manage to break some of the fine-print laws we have. I mean, do we really want no one to hunt except the lawyers? Hunters need to stick together better than we do, presently.

That's my 6 cents worth.
    I can agree with this idea, I am "Sometimes" still having a hard time, with post kill excitement and all, remembering to go Straight To My Pack, to get that harvest ticket cut out.
    put it this way on the WWW,
    "I can't remember" exactly how long it took me to get that tag cut on the Elk hunt where I was so close to being watched.......

I was pretty on top of it the day after this boarding, when I had a Mt Goat down,
    just a scrambling for that tag........

Also FM I gotta ask this, "Do you drive a Red Sports Car out to the trailhead on your hunting trips? Might try painting it white or tan or something, maybe try a Minivan ?

not quite so "Interesting" to the guys looking for troublemakers
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default sports car?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Also FM I gotta ask this, "Do you drive a Red Sports Car out to the trailhead on your hunting trips? Might try painting it white or tan or something, maybe try a Minivan ?

not quite so "Interesting" to the guys looking for troublemakers
    Actually I used to. But I sold my little red two seater convertible sportscar, fully decked out for racing, to pay for my wife's ring when we got married almost 8 years ago. No more need for a chick magnet like that...

Been driving a 5-6 person pickup truck ever since.

How'd ya nail me like that?

And again more contacts: twice this past year I've gotten a letter from F&G telling me I hadn't reported the results of my hunt. Each time I went online right that second and did so. But obviously, I was running afoul of the rules again.... Shoot, I might as well paint my pickup truck red, eh?

I am still a bit offstandish with the law when out and about. I know that there are some great guys out there but after getting burned once and accused another it is hard for me to look at them all as "buddies". I guess I am a product of my environment <grin>

I went YEARS hunting/fishing with zero contact beyond the fish measurer at one of the parks cricks. First negative contact was at deception creek in he mid 90's. The brown shirt accused me of keeping oversized fish (Jacks were legal at the time). I had my tape and everything right there and the fish had been on a stringer all day but I was heading out and had just cleaned/headed them. I was at a loss as he dressed me down saying "that one looks a little big". I had no response, it was almost an inch under the max but I couldn't get the head out of the creek to show that to him. Irony is that all day people had been snagging and tormenting the spawners and actually breaking the law but got no such harassment... <?>

Then in 1998 I got "charged" with hunting with a vehicle in a non vehicle hunting area. That later got tossed out but it had me pretty shook up at 18y/o. I actually didn't hunt for almost a decade after that. Mostly because I was in the military out of state but it definitely played a factor.

Met up with the fed on Kodiak at Seahawk. Super nice guy there. No issues. Actually I am kind of jealous of that job, must suck to fly around kodiak all day! That and he was life long Alaskan and Goat hunter so you can't beat that. Nice to have a LEO that is happy for your success and understands your hard work!

Ran into a couple brown shirts while walking out of Knik after missing the channel by a long shot in my boat (rookie). They checked our licenses and tags then gave me and my buddy a ride the rest of the way to my truck. I was plenty glad to see them out patrolling that area. Lord know that Knik needed some enforcement.

Beyond that I don't have too much. So I guess I am 50/50 on good vs bad. I sure don't offer up any info and I realize that they will ask leading questions to get you to incriminate yourself. They are not my buddy but I do appreciate what they are doing out there, just some more so than others <grin>

I do agree that there is a big difference between accidently running afoul of a minor game law and outright poaching. Just like there is a big difference in not having proof if insurance in your car or being uninsured. Same with driving without a license vs driving without a license in possession.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast