Thread: 325 WSM & Kimber Montana test report

Default 325 WSM & Kimber Montana test report

About five years ago I bought a 325 WSM Kimber Montana and just now got around to working up a load for it. FIrst I had the barrel cut and recrowned at 22 inches as 24 inches is just too long for my liking with that rifle and cartridge combo. I mounted a 2.5 X 8 Leupold in Talley QD rings for a total wieght of 6 lbs 14 oz. I worked up to 66 grs. of H4350, Fed. 210M primer, Winchester cases, and a Barnes 200gr. TSX--at just over 2800 fps out of this particular rifle. After some sighting in, my first four shot group @ 150 yards measuered 1.3 inches. This is under 1 MOA and is great for such a light weight and powerful combination.

Complete with all stainless construction, a good synthetic stock and a pretty powerful load, what is not to like?

Default Custom loads and Kimber .325...

Tim -
    Congratulations on your load development. And who knows, but maybe another option for .325WSM shooters has been born - yes?

As for the rifle itself, I happened into a well-cared-for Kimber offered by another Forums member in early 2008. No complaints now.

Congratulations again.Attachment 43358Attachment 43359

I and my son purchased 325 Montana's last year - I could not get either to group any 200 grain bullets to my liking, tried 220 Sierra SBT's and they both shoot the same ammo, 65 grains 4007 ssc / WW brass / 215 M primers / to 3/4" @ 200 yds at 2800 - 2850 fps - I spoke with a ballistic engineer at Sierra and was told the 220/8mm & 250/338 bullets are built with thicker jackets - I have not, as yet, tried the WW 220 grain factory loads, gonna give 'em a try this spring though (24" barrel with that short/light rifle is perfect for me)

I own a 325WSM Winchester. Last year I did some intense load development with it. As far as I know I tried every .323 bullet sold. I was a die hard Barnes X bullet guy, but could not get any combo to group better than about an inch. Don't get me wrong I would have no problem hunting with a load that grouped like that, I just had other combos that shot much better.

After reading about the success others were having with Reloader-17, I matched that with some 200g Nosler Accubonds and I found a great load for my rifle.

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING This load is over max and only safe in the rifle in which it was worked up.

That being said that load shoots sub MOA with my rifle and I killed black bear, grizzly, sheep, moose, and a goat with it last season.
    Have a nice 220 Swift A-frame load for it as well.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

These posts contain some great information. I was not a 325 WSM fan to start with as I thought the cartridge should have been a 338 WSM instead, but after shooting my 325 in that Kimber Montana, I like the ballistics and one thing that really suprised me is the lack of felt recoil for a cartridge this powerful and a rifle this light. I dont know if the lack of FELT recoil is a function of the stock design or if it has more to do with the internal ballistics of the 325 cartidge.......at any rate, this is a light wieght and accurate rifle in a chambering that is pretty darn useful for elk/moose/large bears, etc. I'm suprised and impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sundles View Post
    These posts contain some great information. I was not a 325 WSM fan to start with as I thought the cartridge should have been a 338 WSM instead, but after shooting my 325 in that Kimber Montana, I like the ballistics and one thing that really suprised me is the lack of felt recoil for a cartridge this powerful and a rifle this light. I dont know if the lack of FELT recoil is a function of the stock design or if it has more to do with the internal ballistics of the 325 cartidge.......at any rate, this is a light wieght and accurate rifle in a chambering that is pretty darn useful for elk/moose/large bears, etc. I'm suprised and impressed.
    Yes Sir,

You just nailed what drew me to this chambering in the first place. I have shot a few different 325WSMs, a Browning, a Kimber and the Winchester I bought. They all have been light on the recoil. I can stay in the scope on mine even shooting the hot rounds that I use.

The only real draw back is the lack of variety in factory ammo. There is some good factory ammo for the 325WSM, but the rifle really can reach better potential with some time and handloads.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default How do ya beat that?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    ... shoots sub MOA with my rifle and I killed black bear, grizzly, sheep, moose, and a goat with it last season...

Steve
    Wow.
    Between the range results and the field results, not much to improve on!

Vince turned me on to the .325 WSM last year. I've had both shoulders replaced and was a bit tentative about a magnum. I bought the Winchester and it is one BEAUTIFUL gun. Wish I could say that I'd shot it, but I havent yet. Loading some test rounds will comense starting Monday if all goes according to plans... :-)

I'm glad to read about the lack of felt recoil. Every once in a while I get lucky listening to others advice. lol

I do not live in Alaska, but purchased my third,winchester extreme weather in 325wsm.all I can say mine is a tack driver using winchesters 220 grain ammo, I shot a 3/4 inch group with factory ammo. One of the best rifles in my personal collection topped with a leupold scope with a boone and crocket reticle.Kerblamm !

I killed a moose in Sept with a 220 SBT @ 175 yds (hardly a severe test) but the moose hit the deck pretty hard ... I was not aware that there was a Trophy Bonded 220 grain, have to give them a try - Also, I am hearing good things about RL-17 in WSM's of all calibers although the IMR 4007 ssc has been a standout for me ... When I found the deal on my Montana I had little time to research the design and could not get a response from Kimber on the trigger, found out recently it's a "clone" to the Rem 700 albeit in steel ... They are good in function and adjustibility but not necessarily a great foul weather design so I will be cautiously optimistic until it proves itself on a 10 degree hunt - The Montana cycles those short fat 325's slicker than a lubricated eel ... (my 5 lb 84M .308 does too)