Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever send a scope back to Leupold?

Default Anyone ever send a scope back to Leupold?

A couple years ago I bought a VXIII 4.5 x 14, side focus, 30mm Tubed, Boone and Crockett reticle.... scope for big bucks up in Anchorage.
    I put it on a 300 Win Mag M700 long range tactical, but really never got around to shooting it much. Until this winter.

I was getting nice groups right around a half inch,, but I kept getting two separate groups, right and left,,,,
    I re-torqued everything and it still did the same thing. Then I swapped scopes with another rifle and the 300 Win Mag two group situation disappeared from that rifle and move over to the 30-06 that I had used as a new test bed. I even tried another shooter....

So... I think it is the scope... Has anyone sent a scope back to Leupold recently? How are they to work with?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

It's been a while, but my experience couldn't have been better. I had it back in less than a week!

I have - sent one in cause I accidentally loosened the lock screw and was afraid I had released the gas. They had it recharged and back to me in 10 days. I have had maybe a half dozen exchanges with Leupold over the years - never a chg to me and ALWAYS right back.
    Its a company as Americans we should be very proud of... U will be in good hands...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I sent my 1960's vintage 4x back after the ocular lens started rattling back and forth. I wrote them a letter with it saying that my Grandfather had bought it new, used it for ages and given it to me for my 12th birthday. I went on to tell them that the scope meant more to me as a momento than a tool so if parts were unavailable since it was out of production no worries just please don't replace it. I recieved my scope and a handwritten letter back from them about a week later. The scope had been repaired and the letter went on to state that they had read my letter and rummaged around to find old parts rather than replacing it, since it was an heirloom of sorts.
    There was no charge to me and the work order stated that they replaced everything except the tube. I think it's well on it's way to seeing it's next 50yrs of service and other than the scratches and nicks put there by me and my GrandDad it's like having a brand new scope.

Excellent service and products, a good Old Time American company.

I sent one back two years ago and got it back in 7-10 days no charges! Can't say enough good things about their customer service.

Only once and within 10 days I had my scope back!

Top-Notch
    Afflicted by condition human

Yep, and more than once. I've broken a few from hard use or foolishness and Leupold has been fantastic about fixing or replacing every one of them.

I just sent 3 scopes back recently. I'll post when I get them back - should be this week.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

reminds me i still have to send back my leupold spotter.. the lens in the eye piece turned 90 deg on me last year...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

In the winter I live in Oregon, and the scope on my 340 Whby. lost the cross hairs, I was going elk hunting in four days, so I drove it to Beaverton, at the factory. I left it there at the front desk, and told them of my plans. They said no problem. I got it via UPS the next day. They repaired it the same day and put it out so I could get it sighted back in and use it on the trip. Nothing but the best to say about the company.

I sent them an e-mail asking how to send it.
    I think the box was lost or now holds one of the grand-kids Christmas presents.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Wrap it in bubble wrap and place it in a box of similar size, insure it and mail it. You'll get it back in 2-3 weeks repaired or replaced. Through the years they've replaced a couple and repaired many more for me. I've sent in older scopes to have them checked/refurbished even though there was nothing mechanically wrong with them. Leupold is very easy to deal with IME.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It's been a while, but my experience couldn't have been better. I had it back in less than a week!

Yep - Leupold has exceptional customer service by my experiences...

Had issues with a 4x pistol scope - It was on a .454. 1st time it was repaired from very cold conditions damaging the cross-hairs (the whole pot was detached then furthermore scratched up the inner coatings of the ocular). The next time (same scope - similar problem) atop a mod. 41 Smith .22 it was replaced with a nicer brand new 4x scope.

They also are good on the timing... less than 10 days turnaround - back in my hands!

I sent one in this fall. Came back in 2 weeks. According to the repair order they basically replaced everything but the tube.

Painless customer service.

I sent my 3 scopes out wrapped in bubble wrap in a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box - the flat shaped one, not the square one - for $10.70 plus insurance. Be sure to insure them well - I went for the replacement cost.

One was a 2x7 with a seperating objective lense, another was an older VXII 3x9x50 with adjustments that didn't seem to track correctly, and the third was a VXIII 3.5x10 that wasn't as clear as an identical scope I compared it to.

I sent these out on the 8th - guess they should be back this week.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

A couple years ago I bought a VXIII 4.5 x 14, side focus, 30mm Tubed, Boone and Crockett reticle.... scope for big bucks up in Anchorage.
    I put it on a 300 Win Mag M700 long range tactical, but really never got around to shooting it much. Until this winter.

I was getting nice groups right around a half inch,, but I kept getting two separate groups, right and left,,,,
    I re-torqued everything and it still did the same thing. Then I swapped scopes with another rifle and the 300 Win Mag two group situation disappeared from that rifle and move over to the 30-06 that I had used as a new test bed. I even tried another shooter....

So... I think it is the scope... Has anyone sent a scope back to Leupold recently? How are they to work with?
    REPLY:

I have contacted Leupold's Customer Service Center and was advised as follows: All Leupold products have a lifetime service contract, regardless who the owner is or was. Used scopes that are sent in for inspection have no service fees. The only exception being - evidence of abuse. I hope this is of some help.

Interesting - I think the catalogs just say the Gold Ring scopes have the lifetime warrenty. I have an older pre-Gold Ring 4X M7 scope that could just a checkup - I'll have to send it in and see what hqappens.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfordjr View Post
    REPLY:

I have contacted Leupold's Customer Service Center and was advised as follows: All Leupold products have a lifetime service contract, regardless who the owner is or was. Used scopes that are sent in for inspection have no service fees. The only exception being - evidence of abuse. I hope this is of some help.

This was a very reassuring read! Thank you guys!

I have a VXIII 2.5-8 in the box and addressed. My wife just ran out of time today to drop it off at the post office. Had some inconsistent groups at times, and then "caught" the scope red handed. POI moved 2-3/8" vertically after I adjusted it only 4 clicks. Then another adjustment caused movement that wasn't consistent. I bought another new one because my sheep hunt was coming too fast, but now you guys have me excited because I fully expect to get a scope back that's in great shape. I'll replace the Rifleman on my 338 with this one. I have Leupolds on all my guns now (I strayed once, a mistake), and this will be my first return.

This will be like waiting for Santa Claus to arrive!

I think the catalogs just say the Gold Ring scopes have the lifetime warrenty. I have an older pre-Gold Ring 4X M7 scope that could just a checkup - I'll have to send it in and see what hqappens.
    They will go through it and repair if necessary. We just had the exact one done by them for a customer

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Wrap it in bubble wrap and place it in a box of similar size, insure it and mail it. You'll get it back in 2-3 weeks repaired or replaced. Through the years they've replaced a couple and repaired many more for me. I've sent in older scopes to have them checked/refurbished even though there was nothing mechanically wrong with them. Leupold is very easy to deal with IME.
    I should have added I've never been charged a cent from Leupold for their service.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast